Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boulder Creek X2  (Read 2341 times)

Alskoj

Boulder Creek X2
« on: October 05, 2017, 10:34:42 pm »

Two photos of the same scene (shot this morning).  One at 83 seconds and one at 1 second.  A 6 stop ND filter was used for the longer exposure.  Which one do you prefer?

BoulderCreek-1-5 by Joseph Alsko, on Flickr

BoulderCreek-1-10 by Joseph Alsko, on Flickr

farbschlurf

• fototypo
Re: Boulder Creek X2
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 03:04:57 am »

Well, I like the shorter exposure better. The long exposure looks artificial (to me!). But I like the colors and brightness of the first picture better, by far. So for me the short exposure with the colors and brightness of the long exposure would be nice. Don't know whether that's possible in post.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 03:20:29 am »

Two photos of the same scene (shot this morning).  One at 83 seconds and one at 1 second.  A 6 stop ND filter was used for the longer exposure.  Which one do you prefer?

The second one, by some margin. I don't find the complete loss of detail in the water works.

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 07:27:10 am »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 10:21:20 am »

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 04:45:07 pm »

I like the shorter one too. The longer one looks like a photo from someone who just bought their first ND filter. Occasionally that much blur looks great but not very often IMO.
-MattB

Alskoj

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 05:53:59 pm »

I like the shorter one too. The longer one looks like a photo from someone who just bought their first ND filter. Occasionally that much blur looks great but not very often IMO.
Hey, how did you know!   ;)   Just started using ND filters a few months ago.  No oceans around here in the Rockies so I have to use rivers and lakes.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 06:07:47 pm »

Hey, how did you know!   ;)   Just started using ND filters a few months ago.  No oceans around here in the Rockies so I have to use rivers and lakes.

Right, I've been in that position myself.
Living in Gunnison we also have an ocean shortage although it gets somewhat compensated for by Blue Mesa Reservoir.

Looks like you are in the Boulder area?
-MattB

Alskoj

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 06:21:35 pm »

Right, I've been in that position myself.
Living in Gunnison we also have an ocean shortage although it gets somewhat compensated for by Blue Mesa Reservoir.

Looks like you are in the Boulder area?
Yep, live just north of Boulder in Longmont.  We've been to the Gunnison area several time and just love it!  I told the wife that in a few years when I retire, we'll be moving to the high country.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 08:17:20 am »

I prefer the rich colours of the first one, but the movement of the second. Is the first one polarized and the second not? It seems that way.

Also, 83sec down to 1sec is a big jump. Anything at 2sec? 5sec? You might find that sweet spot of movement and smooth, if that's what you’re looking for.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Alskoj

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 07:37:16 pm »

I prefer the rich colours of the first one, but the movement of the second. Is the first one polarized and the second not? It seems that way.

Also, 83sec down to 1sec is a big jump. Anything at 2sec? 5sec? You might find that sweet spot of movement and smooth, if that's what you’re looking for.
Yes I should add something in between. Good idea.
The first one is straight 6 stop ND.  Long exposures really messes with reflective light.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 03:42:31 am »

The first one is straight 6 stop ND.  Long exposures really messes with reflective light.

And many ND filters add a good deal of warmth. What make is yours?

Jeremy

Alskoj

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 07:07:42 am »

And many ND filters add a good deal of warmth. What make is yours?

Jeremy
B+W.  I don't have a lot of filters (ND, Polarizer, UV) so I'm thinking B+W is worth the cost?

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 08:03:57 am »

I like to bracket my shutter speeds when doing such shots. The problem is that I only have a 9-stop and 3-stop ND at present, so I'm limited to small changes in ISO or aperture, with the associated drawbacks. For example, if a 3-stop ND doesn't produce quite enough blur, but 9-stop produces too much, I might leave the 9-stop on, use two stops higher ISO and 1-stop wider aperture (net result of about a 6-stop ND).

I've read that variable ND filters range from pure crap to tolerable, but I haven't chanced the money on any of the recommended ones.

BobDavid

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 03:42:42 am »

B+W.  I don't have a lot of filters (ND, Polarizer, UV) so I'm thinking B+W is worth the cost?

I like Hoya ND PRO filters. B+W filters are glass and brass. The coatings on the Hoya filters virtually eliminate color shifts during long exposures. I like Breakthrough Photography's ND filters the most: fit, finish, and performance.

Alskoj

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 06:53:26 am »

I like Hoya ND PRO filters. B+W filters are glass and brass. The coatings on the Hoya filters virtually eliminate color shifts during long exposures. I like Breakthrough Photography's ND filters the most: fit, finish, and performance.
Well, once my two kids graduate college, and I actually have a little extra money in my pocket, I might try some different filters.  Thanks for the recommendation.
Here's a 1 minute shot I got yesterday morning using the 6 stop B+W.  Yes, the trees were leaning that way near the creek.
LDR-1 by Joseph Alsko, on Flickr
Pages: [1]   Go Up