Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this a sales platform or a serious forum  (Read 6066 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Is this a sales platform or a serious forum
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2017, 01:01:16 pm »

I don't always put smileys at the end, but that was a tongue-in-cheek comment. Well, kind of 😊
Having said that, I did grow up starting the day with a newspaper, the way you discribed. I still remember those stained fingers from the paper ink.

I guessed. I don't get stained fingers any more, I'm happy to say. I think they changed their printing system.

Then you must have read the Sunday Times too! When we used to buy it here it cost €5, and not only the fingers but also the terrace chairs and tables always went black. I loved AA Gill and Michael Winner; miss 'em all. Oddly enough, even Jeremy Clarkson was a far more interesting and amusing writer there

I never liked Winner, but I was a great fan of AA Gill. I no longer read the restaurant reviews in the Sunday Times: I never went to the places, I just enjoyed his wit and his style. Sad loss. Giles Coren in The Times is nearly as good, both his comment column and his restaurant crits.

Jeremy

Rob C

Re: Is this a sales platform or a serious forum
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2017, 02:31:11 pm »

I guessed. I don't get stained fingers any more, I'm happy to say. I think they changed their printing system.

I never liked Winner, but I was a great fan of AA Gill. I no longer read the restaurant reviews in the Sunday Times: I never went to the places, I just enjoyed his wit and his style. Sad loss. Giles Coren in The Times is nearly as good, both his comment column and his restaurant crits.

Jeremy

I didn't go to any of the foodie places either: I could never bring mysef to spend that kind of loot on food. As a wise old friend of mine once remarked to me: Rob, how expensive can the best steak in the world honestly be? He made a very good point. Caveat emptor. However, as good as his advice on food and wine, he still managed to make an utter and disastrous balls of his later private life. Just shows to go ya: the menopause is not restricted to the ladies, and if anything, I think men experience more than one. I'm certain that I did, with cars as with camera systems. Or was the sequence the other way around? No, I think I was right first time.

I enjoyed Winner because I had travelled to some of the places he mentioned, but that was pretty much where the experiences ceased to continue matching. It was one of the great benefits of being a photographer doing location shoots: one got to good hotels in foreign lands, eat high off the hog, and all on some company's account. I suppose PR people enjoy the same thing on a more regular footing. But even so, there were limits I had to budget, or the shoots would have remained grounded, along with myself.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up