Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Developing videos from the Leica visit  (Read 1349 times)

skirkp

Developing videos from the Leica visit
« on: October 04, 2017, 04:20:00 am »

I'm eager to see the content of the Leica weeklong visit videos that are coming soon, but I am also intrigued with how Chris produces them.  Will there be an article someday on his methods, equipment, and postprocessing?  I think an increasing fraction of the LuLa readership have noticed that their latest gear can produce pretty good 4K video images, and I saw shots this morning of Chris toting what looked like a small mirrorless rig (with its flip-out LCD screen) and even shooting some places like labs and assembly lines hand-held.  Since Leica is taking SL video seriously (they even offer a log-profie codec), did you guys get any pushback from Leica on what looks like your Sony or Panasonic handycams?  Or a demo of how Leica can do it?

scott

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: Developing videos from the Leica visit
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 12:44:16 pm »

Yes, I used the Panasonic GH5 throughout the trip - with no pushback from Leica!
However, I would have been delghted (but financially very much poorer) to use an equivalent Leica setup.

I always loved using Michael's M lenses on the GH systems.

And FWIW, I don't believe that Leica does freebies - but Jim Wagner (Leica USA, V-P Sales) did give me a lenscloth and a red-dot pin ))

skirkp

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 02:04:53 pm »

There's a discussion on the LUF about whether the SL with the lenses it makes available and its larger APS-C 4K sensor area, offers better images than the GH5 or Olympus E-M1.2 or various Sony kits.  And does that overcome the evident superiority of the GH5 in offering video support features?  One of the participants is a Leica Ambassador, but his work supports his arguments.  I think more on the subject of comparing the best new mirrorless on their video capabilities will be of considerable interest.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 02:19:51 pm »

I have never shot video on a Leica but my observation is that the Leica lenses which are of super high quality will give a superb 'look' if correctly handled.

A comparison between Leica SL video and GH5 video is a little like comparing a Porsche Cayenne to a Toyota Corolla. Each will get you to your destination effectively and efficiently but with very different priorities
Pages: [1]   Go Up