Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom presets and plug-in software  (Read 1654 times)

RECPhoto

Lightroom presets and plug-in software
« on: September 30, 2017, 08:39:05 pm »

I use the Fuji mirrowless system and have been using Lightroom and a little Photoshop to process my images. My primary plug-in has been Nik sofware, which is no longer being supported. I have tried a number of other plug-ins with mixed results. My plan is to continue to use Lightroom as my primary software alone a selection of the best presets available. So, I need advise on good Lightroom presets. I am also still open to ideas on a replacement for Nik software. My photography includes landscape, nature, urban, humor, and people.
Thanks
Bob

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Lightroom presets and plug-in software
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 11:07:53 pm »

Why do you need presets? Why not simply edit the photos with Lightroom's Develop tools?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 09:11:05 am »

As Mark says, use LR's Develop tools until you know what you can't do with them. Avoid paying a penny for presets.

John

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 09:24:36 am »

....................use LR's Develop tools until you know what you can't do with them. Avoid paying a penny for presets.

John

And even then, before paying a penny for presets/plugins, if the OP also has Photoshop, consider exporting the file for further processing in Photoshop, using "Photo>Edit In....>.

hogloff

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 10:26:47 am »

I find using NIK a great time savings compared to doing the same work just using native LR or PS. The u-point technology for selective processing is extremely well done and powerful. I see no value in trying to do the same work using native tools when there are better approaches out there. You get no gold star by taking the hard route.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 10:32:09 am »

My primary plug-in has been Nik sofware, which is no longer being supported.
It may not be technically "supported", but it still works fine.

There are a few things that Nik does that can't easily be done in LR or PS, most notably adding frames and borders to images, but most of the image messing up can done easily enough in LR with a little understanding. There's loads of tutorials out there to help.

As others have said, buying presets seems a waste of money to me. Why just buy a look other people have ? create your own style.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 11:18:19 am »

I find using NIK a great time savings compared to doing the same work just using native LR or PS. The u-point technology for selective processing is extremely well done and powerful. I see no value in trying to do the same work using native tools when there are better approaches out there. You get no gold star by taking the hard route.

Yes, you have a point about the efficiency and effectiveness of certain plugins (I reviewed Nik Silver Efex Pro on this website and commended it, you may recall); but that will persist only as long as the tools remain workable. This is no longer assured with successive OS and host application upgrades as the products have been unfortunately discontinued. That said, it isn't clear to me how much is really lost. Once one becomes proficient with the use of LR and for the odd time they're needed a range of Photoshop tools, the attractiveness of these plugins really dwindles - at least to me and I carefully edit lots of photos.
Pages: [1]   Go Up