Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with changing cache size and location New! How do I get Adobe to assist?  (Read 8049 times)

Onslow

With my LR slowing down a bit, I have read that substantially increasing the cache size can help. I have a 120gb SSD dedicated to scratch disk use. I want to increase the cache size and put it on the 120gb ssd. I change the location and size in LR preferences but the change just doesn't stick. I have attached a screenshot of the setting that won't stick. The changes are made but press OK or Restart LR and they revert to 1.0gb cache.

Lightroom version: CC 2015.12 [ 1125239 ] Camera Raw is 9.12
License: Creative Cloud
Operating system: Windows 10
Version: 10.0
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 12
Processor speed: 3.4 GHz
Built-in memory: 65445.5 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 65445.5 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1265.2 MB (1.9%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1354.7 MB
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:38:00 am by Onslow »
Cheers

Onslow

wayne_melia

Re: Problem with changing cache size and location
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 06:56:43 pm »

I just did this 2 days ago.
1. In lightroom, locate the catalogue in your OS, in my case it was C:(OS)/useres/username/pictures.
2. close lightroom/CC
3. in windows explore, locate the catalogue
4. copy catalogue to desired destination
5. open lr>edit>preferences>general>'default catalogue' dropdown arrow
6. point to new location
7.done
In my case I deleted the catalogue from the old location after verifying that everything worked.

jrsforums

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 07:13:06 pm »

I just did this 2 days ago.
1. In lightroom, locate the catalogue in your OS, in my case it was C:(OS)/useres/username/pictures.
2. close lightroom/CC
3. in windows explore, locate the catalogue
4. copy catalogue to desired destination
5. open lr>edit>preferences>general>'default catalogue' dropdown arrow
6. point to new location
7.done
In my case I deleted the catalogue from the old location after verifying that everything worked.

I believe he was concerned about the ‘cache’ size and location, not the catalog.

To change the cache location, I suggest going to the drive you want to place it and create a folder.  Then shelve the the ‘choose’ button, and select that folder.  Restart LR, the go in and change the size. 80GBor more should work for most.
John

wayne_melia

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 11:30:30 pm »

My bad.
I think the principle still applies: copy the existing cache to the desired location, in a folder on the ssd, and then start the adobe application, go thru the choosing process.
Apologies for initial confusion.

jrsforums

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 12:27:34 am »

My bad.
I think the principle still applies: copy the existing cache to the desired location, in a folder on the ssd, and then start the adobe application, go thru the choosing process.
Apologies for initial confusion.

Happens to all of us.

In this case there is really no need to copy as the cache will just be rebuilt.
John

Onslow

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 12:39:07 am »

Hi All, thanks for your responses. However, the issue is not changing the size or location of the cache. The issue is that the changes do not stick. I press ok and get a 1 GB cache in appdata on the C: drive, not my dedicated swap drive SSD F:
I change the values to what I wish. I can either press ok OR restart LR. Either way, the effect is the same. I revert to a 1GB cache in appdata.
Please see the attached screengrab.
Cheers

Onslow

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 07:37:59 am »

I think the problem here is that two programs use the same cache, LR and ACR. I may have had similar issues when moving my cache to an SSD.

I'd suggest moving the cache to the new location with both applications closed, which I think may save time rebuilding previews too, then going into the preferences of ACR first and redirecting it to the new location, then doing the same in LR.

Onslow

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 07:49:26 am »

I think the problem here is that two programs use the same cache, LR and ACR. I may have had similar issues when moving my cache to an SSD.

I'd suggest moving the cache to the new location with both applications closed, which I think may save time rebuilding previews too, then going into the preferences of ACR first and redirecting it to the new location, then doing the same in LR.
Thanks for that. Already tried it though and I am unable to change the preferences in ACR either. Just occurred to me, I wonder if I run as administrator?? Shall try that..
Cheers

Onslow

Onslow

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 08:38:24 am »

I have just run ACR as administrator, changed the location and size and the changes stuck. Yes! So, I ran LR as administrator. New location came up as well as the new size. No need to change it. :) Restarted the pc, ran ACR and the settings remained. Ran LR as normal, location and cache size was back to the original settings! C drive and 1 GB! bugger.....!
Closed LR, ran LR as administrator and the new location and 50GB cache was in effect gain. So, at this point it seems I need to run LR as administrator. This odd behaviour though doesn't seem correct.
Thoughts anyone??
Cheers

Onslow

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 08:49:02 am »

Thoughts anyone??
On a personal machine why bother running it as anything other than administrator anyway ?

Onslow

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 06:02:10 pm »

On a personal machine why bother running it as anything other than administrator anyway ?
On my machine, I am running as administrator. No issue with that at any time apart from now. To run LR as administrator though, I select it and a prompt pops up each time asking if I want this app to makes changes to the machine.
So to summarise I am an administrator.
If I start LR normally, I do not get that prompt BUT get the default size and location of the cache. Not what I wish.
If I run LR as administrator, I get the size and location of the cache I wish BUT then get the prompt asking if I want the app to make changes.
I would prefer not to have the prompt each time...
Cheers

Onslow

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 10:23:34 pm »

Hope I'm not suggesting something you already tried, but have you looked into permission setting issues?

Not sure if this would be the 'correct' way to do it, but what I might do is try setting all the relevant folders to "full control" for both the administrator, as well as your specific username.
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

Onslow

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 03:49:13 am »

I have now installed LR Classic. When I run as normal, I am unable to set the cache location or size again. Same as before the upgrade as written in my original post. Again, running in Administrator mode, I can set the cache location and size..
This is frustrating.
Anyone else  encountering this??
Cheers

Onslow

Onslow

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 09:52:26 pm »

Hope I'm not suggesting something you already tried, but have you looked into permission setting issues?

Not sure if this would be the 'correct' way to do it, but what I might do is try setting all the relevant folders to "full control" for both the administrator, as well as your specific username.
Hoggy, thanks for that suggestion. I created another user account with full admin control. In that account I was able to change the size and location. That suggests it may be a permissions issue. I don't know enough about permissions though to follow that up. :(
Cheers

Onslow

Hoggy

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 11:49:15 pm »

Hoggy, thanks for that suggestion. I created another user account with full admin control. In that account I was able to change the size and location. That suggests it may be a permissions issue. I don't know enough about permissions though to follow that up. :(
I'm not the most well versed in permissions settings either - I find they tend to be rather confusing at times..
But I'm thinking that while using your normal account, right-click the "ACR Cache" folder - as well as doing the 'appdata\roaming\lightroom' (IIRC) folder.. And choosing "properties" for each.

Well, this might explain what to do better than I can: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754344(v=ws.11).aspx
Hopefully that should get you started.  I'm quite tired, so I'm not too coherent right now. :)
Otherwise, some of these might be clearer for you: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=changing+permissions&btnG=Google+Search&gbv=2&oq=&gs_l=
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 11:53:11 pm by Hoggy »

Onslow

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 03:56:19 am »

I'm not the most well versed in permissions settings either - I find they tend to be rather confusing at times..
But I'm thinking that while using your normal account, right-click the "ACR Cache" folder - as well as doing the 'appdata\roaming\lightroom' (IIRC) folder.. And choosing "properties" for each.

Well, this might explain what to do better than I can: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754344(v=ws.11).aspx
Hopefully that should get you started.  I'm quite tired, so I'm not too coherent right now. :)
Otherwise, some of these might be clearer for you: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=changing+permissions&btnG=Google+Search&gbv=2&oq=&gs_l=
No luck with that so far. At this stage, I am still running in Admin mode in Compatability mode under properties..
Cheers

Onslow

Onslow

I have wiped out the preferences, no change. Still can't change cache size or location.
I have uninstalled and then reinstalled with no change. Still can't set the cache size or location.
I have posted a question in the Adobe LR forums on this requesting assistance on the 20th of October. Not a single answer!
How on earth can I contact Adobe tech support? When I drill through the options to resolve this issue I find phone and live chat support options disappear. It only leaves the Forums which are frankly completely useless in my experience.
I don't mind the subscription model BUT not at the expense of product support! I am willing to pay but they aren't willing to assist.
Cheers

Onslow

Hoggy

Hopefully someone that could explain things better could step in here...

But when you say "no luck with that", what exactly do you mean?

Were you able to get those permissions changed?
If not, exactly where are you stuck?

Onslow

Hopefully someone that could explain things better could step in here...

But when you say "no luck with that", what exactly do you mean?

Were you able to get those permissions changed?
If not, exactly where are you stuck?
By "no luck with that" I mean that I make the change to F drive, Set the cache size. Press ok. If I shutdown , reopen and check the settings, they are the defaults of 5gb and c: drive.
If I uninstall LR completely, surely that should wipe any other permissions issues out? I altered the two settings you described in your first response but they had no effect. I am only getting the defaults, nothing else.

I am incredibly frustrated at buying a product yet getting no support from Adobe.
Cheers

Onslow

Hoggy

If I uninstall LR completely, surely that should wipe any other permissions issues out? I altered the two settings you described in your first response but they had no effect. I am only getting the defaults, nothing else.

Uninstalling & reinstalling may or may not wipe the permissions issue out.  I forget if when uninstalling LR, it asks whether or not to keep your settings.  So it's possible it could keep your appdata directory intact.

If you're sure you successfully changed the permissions on:  "C:\Users\[Your User Name On The Computer]\appdata\roaming\Adobe\Lightroom"

...  And it still doesn't work --  then I'm not sure what else could be tried.

I suppose you may also want to try changing the permissions on the entire Adobe directory: "C:\Users\[Your User Name On The Computer]\appdata\roaming\Adobe"

But outside of that, I'm not sure at this point.  When changing permissions - you are following the directions in some of the previous articles I pointed to, right??
As in (one way): right-click the folder - go to "Security" Tab - select "Advanced" - and in the "Advanced" dialog, make sure your permissions are 'Full Control' for your computer-username & "Administrators" ------  Also make sure the checkbox at the bottom is checked to "Replace all child object permissions..."
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 05:49:20 am by Hoggy »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up