Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with changing cache size and location New! How do I get Adobe to assist?  (Read 8067 times)

Onslow

Uninstalling & reinstalling may or may not wipe the permissions issue out.  I forget if when uninstalling LR, it asks whether or not to keep your settings.  So it's possible it could keep your appdata directory intact.

If you're sure you successfully changed the permissions on:  "C:\Users\[Your User Name On The Computer]\appdata\roaming\Adobe\Lightroom"

...  And it still doesn't work --  then I'm not sure what else could be tried.

I suppose you may also want to try changing the permissions on the entire Adobe directory: "C:\Users\[Your User Name On The Computer]\appdata\roaming\Adobe"

But outside of that, I'm not sure at this point.  When changing permissions - you are following the directions in some of the previous articles I posted, right??
As in: right-click the folder - go to "Security" Tab - select "Advanced" - and in the "Advanced" dialog, make sure your permission are 'Full Control' for your computer-username & "Administrators" ------  Also make sure the checkbox at the bottom is checked to "Replace all child object permissions..."
I have followed that. I have posted a screenshot. I can only get the default location and cache size regardless of what I do.
Cheers

Onslow

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.

Hmmm..  That definitely looks right for the "Lightroom" folder.  I assume by now, you've also tried the "...roaming\Adobe" folder.

Maybe also try the same for "....AppData\local\Adobe" folder???   It could be stuck there, perhaps - for whatever strange reason.

Strange.  I also can't think of what else could need its permissions changed, ATM.
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

jrsforums

Did you also change cache in ACR? 

It has been a while since I needed to change it, but I seem to remember it can be a bit “fiddly”, with ACR changing it back after setting in LR.
John

Onslow

Hmmm..  That definitely looks right for the "Lightroom" folder.  I assume by now, you've also tried the "...roaming\Adobe" folder.

Maybe also try the same for "....AppData\local\Adobe" folder???   It could be stuck there, perhaps - for whatever strange reason.

Strange.  I also can't think of what else could need its permissions changed, ATM.
I am sure I have tried all of the folders where LR is. The issue I have with that though is that I may unintentionally be making matters worse... :(
Cheers

Onslow

Onslow

Did you also change cache in ACR? 

It has been a while since I needed to change it, but I seem to remember it can be a bit “fiddly”, with ACR changing it back after setting in LR.
Yup, I have changed the ACR preferences cache size and location first before LR Classic. No difference in the result though..
Cheers

Onslow

Onslow

Well eventually I resorted to the Twitter account of Adobe customer care. I made a post there and they have replied. Now they are having someone look at the forum post to follow up.
Support via Twitter. Whoda thought??
Cheers

Onslow

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.

I am sure I have tried all of the folders where LR is. The issue I have with that though is that I may unintentionally be making matters worse... :(

Yeah.. I'm not an expert on permissions.  :)   But that's how I've always dealt with sticky/finicky permissions issues, for myself - and haven't had any known problems with it yet.  I would think any risk in those additions/changes would be quite minimal for a home computer, though - if there are any.  As far as the problem itself goes - then as long as you only added those 2 to any pre-existing permissions, you should be fine IMO.

At least you finally got a live support person from Adobe though...  Theoretically, they should better know what kind of things may cause those symptoms.   :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 07:44:51 pm by Hoggy »
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

Onslow

On the 20th of October, I posted my issue in the adobe LR forums as there is no support option for LR apart from the forums. I received no reply or assistance so turned to Twitter @AdobeCare on the 6th of November. Contact was established and after many posts by them with many solutions for MacOS (Not Win10!!!) they finally posted the following link.
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-unexpected-behavior-user-account-2.html
I stepped through every stage with no effect. Only when I tried step 5 (Reset the access settings on the account-specific application data folders.) did LR finally exhibit the correct behaviour of changing the cache size and location.
I do feel that this support via twitter(while eventually sorting the issue) is a less than satisfactory solution. 3 weeks to resolve and it is because I could at least go into the bowels of the machine resetting permissions etc. How many users would bother and just give up and rail at Adobe?
Cheers

Onslow
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up