Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick question: does i1pro2 package comes with the OBC grey evaluation chart?  (Read 1886 times)

aaronchan

As topic
My friend bought his i1pro2 set some time already and now wants to play with obc option. But seems like it did come with it. If so, how we gonna do the obc grey evaluation?

Thanks
Aaron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com

From the attached it would appear that you need an iSiS to read the OBC chart you generate in i1Profiler . If so, the i1Pro2 package should not come with these materials. Mine did not. (But I wonder why the test can't be adapted to using a hand-held spectrophotometer, i.e. the i1Pro2 - perhaps one of our X-Rite gurus could chime in here.)
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Doug Gray

From the attached it would appear that you need an iSiS to read the OBC chart you generate in i1Profiler . If so, the i1Pro2 package should not come with these materials. Mine did not. (But I wonder why the test can't be adapted to using a hand-held spectrophotometer, i.e. the i1Pro2 - perhaps one of our X-Rite gurus could chime in here.)

Mark, you don't need an Isis, or I1Pro for that matter except for creating the initial profile. The chart is actually printed by the I1Profiler software and you just visually compare the printed rectangles against the neutrals in a colorchecker.

I have an I1 Pro 2 I1Publisher upgrade from PM5. The OBC comp kit comes with that as well as with the Isis and uses the same printouts and techniques. The main difference is that Isis comes with separate, moderately large, rectangles in both high gloss and matte for the 4 inner neutral colors on a standard Colorchecker. The upgrade comes with a Colorchecker and a slotted mask to view only a selected neutral*. The Colorchecker neutrals are matte so when using it with glossy paper, one must absolutely minimize any glare reflecting off the surface of the printout.

The printout is the same for both products and is an array of rows of 4 rectangles one can compare, in the targeted ambient light, against the neutrals of the supplied set (Isis) or the masked Colorchecker (I1Pro Publish).

The product is targeted to pre-press proof stations with some, but typically inadequate D50 uV levels. It's applicable in situations where the illuminant where the print is used is stable such as in a proofing booth or display with consistent, known illuminants. I find it of little use for prints when I don't know where the print will be placed - pretty much everywhere. My hard copy viewing spot has virtually no uV so I just use uV cut (M2) and avoid this OBC step.

Since Perceptual and Relative scale to the paper white point the effect is minimal in any case and shows up mostly in Absolute Colorimetric - which is how the above rectangular target is printed behind the scenes.

The I1 Pro2 and Isis should produce the same results except that the Isis might be a bit better on glossy paper since it comes with glossy sheets.

*As an aside, the I1Pro 2 Publish upgrade might well have come with glossy versions of those neutral patches and I since tossed them.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 04:33:10 pm by Doug Gray »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com

Thanks Doug.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Doug Gray

I should note that while the Isis comes with the charts for evaluating OBAs and selecting uV affected neutral colors using I1Profiler, it cannot use them without an I1Profiler license. By default I1Profiler is limited to creating, printing, and reading charts. You can import and export files including CGATS files so it can be used with software like Argyll. But to use I1Profiler to create profiles you need a license.

It did automatically recognize my I1Pro2 as well as my PM5 dongle and is fully functional with either one. But if you upgrade from I1Pro2 Photo or Publish, don't sell your I1Pro2. You need to plug the I1Pro2 in to keep the license happy. If you're lucky enough to have an older PM5 dongle that does the job too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up