Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lake Granby  (Read 1354 times)

scotto

Lake Granby
« on: September 28, 2017, 04:56:50 pm »

Hello,

I was recently vacationing in Colorado. On my drive home from the Sawatch Range, I passed by Lake Granby. Smoke from western fires created very hazy conditions in the bright mid-morning sun. What interested me here was the range of tones visible on the receding mountains even under the harsh light. Did I draw out the best of the light and create something reasonable to look at?

Yay or nay?

And definitely interested in what I got right and wrong.

Best regards

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Lake Granby
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 03:21:00 am »

I like the layers in the mountains. You've toned it in a way that doesn't appeal to me, though.

Jeremy

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 03:41:39 am »

Good job with the tones of the layers.
maybe just because of the already given colors I immediately thought of a print on aluminium ... well, expensive fun ...

scotto

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 11:46:03 am »

You've toned it in a way that doesn't appeal to me, though.

The toning is albumen based with a bit of lavender tint. Is it the lavender that doesn't appeal to you. I didn't do many variations during my monochrome conversion, but the lavender seemed to separate the shades the best of what I did look at.

scotto

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 11:54:01 am »

maybe just because of the already given colors I immediately thought of a print on aluminium ...

I do have this one on my to-print list. Haven't ever gotten a metal print, but they do look good.

Per Jeremy's comment, I'm going to play around with some more alternative conversions. I basically went with the first one I liked.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 12:12:49 pm »

The shades of the mountain ridges are well rendered and the overall color tone does not bother me although it could be subtler perhaps. I will raise an additional possibility and that is you mention it was the distant ridges you were interested in and in that context, I find the island ROF distracting. You could crop it :o or remove it with CAF. This would have been a great opportunity for telescopic compression to emphasize and isolate those beautiful ridges. An attractive image, IMHO.

scotto

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 10:01:50 pm »

I made some tweaks to the toning, clarity, and levels. Flipping back and forth in my viewer, I'm liking this version more than the original.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 04:48:51 am »

I made some tweaks to the toning, clarity, and levels. Flipping back and forth in my viewer, I'm liking this version more than the original.

Agreed.

Jeremy

scotto

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 11:13:38 am »

... I will raise an additional possibility and that is you mention it was the distant ridges you were interested in and in that context, I find the island ROF distracting. You could crop it :o or remove it with CAF. ...
I included the peninsula for a couple of reasons. My initial thought was it added another layer of shading for a bit more depth. There are also a couple of kayakers along the shore, so as the eyes wander the frame there's a little something to discover and to provide scale. Of course, none of that's really necessary, as the ridges themselves are a good subject as you state. I could have tried moving left enough to clear the peninsula from view, but that would have put me on a narrow shoulder of the highway.

I made a couple of alternatives, both a mixture of cropping and cloning. In the first, I cropped about half the peninsula from the right edge and cloned out the remainder. In the second, I cropped from the bottom, taking off the bottom half of the peninsula and cloned out the rest. I generally don't do much cloning/healing other than spot removal, so I'm sure that could be improved.

... This would have been a great opportunity for telescopic compression to emphasize and isolate those beautiful ridges. An attractive image, IMHO.
Indeed. This was just laziness on my part. I had left my rental cottage down near Buena Vista and was hoping to get over Trail Ridge Road for an afternoon hike somewhere on the east side of Rocky Mtn NP. So I stopped for a quick snack and a quick photo op. But would have been just a couple minutes to grab my zoom.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 12:37:25 pm »

Personally, I prefer edit 5. Of course that is only my opinion, which is the trouble with any "critique." In the new version, I think it is clearer that the ridges are the subject and I also think the mountains need that extra "base" of the lake. I understand your reasoning for the initial composition, but I found that trying figure out what was going on there, took my eye away from the ridges. Again, this is merely a matter of personal preference; do it the way YOU like it.

No laziness implied! ;) As a wise man told me once, a critique is twenty-twenty hindsight; I wasn't there. Welcome to the forums; keep posting!

scotto

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 02:38:25 pm »

Personally, I prefer edit 5. ... In the new version, I think it is clearer that the ridges are the subject and I also think the mountains need that extra "base" of the lake. ...
I prefer it as well; it keeps the verticle balance of my original crop. The starting image had a little more sky and about twice as much water. This crop and the additional tweaks to I made do a much better job of showing the subject. I think the back of my brain was paying too much heed to some photo rule requiring some point of interest in the foreground. I know better. :P

... do it the way YOU like it. ...
Always.  :)

No laziness implied! ;) ... Welcome to the forums; keep posting!
None inferred.  :) Since my goal is to improve, admitting my laziness publicly was my way of telling myself to slow down and explore next time. My eye was good enough to spot the potential; the rest of me needed to follow through. Glad to be here, and I hope to post more.

I appreciate all the comments from everyone. Much happier with the adjusted toning, tweaks, and new crop.

Best regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up