Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red River Paper Reviews  (Read 1928 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Red River Paper Reviews
« on: September 28, 2017, 02:23:14 pm »

Thanks to Mark Segal for taking the time to review the batch of Red River papers and the polarizer approach to profiling.  I'm going to have to read through what he has written again and give things more thought.  There was a discussion a couple of months back when the issue of a black point that didn't make sense was discussed.  There were a couple of observations from folks more skilled in color theory than I who were concerned about the approach.  That being said, Mark shows who the 'OEM' profile prepared by CHROMIX can give improved results with B/W prints.

EDIT:  The thread from this past June where this Palo Duro Etching paper and 'OEM' profile was discussed is here:  http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=118349.0
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:10:04 pm by Alan Goldhammer »

pearlstreet

Re: Red River Paper Reviews
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 03:34:00 pm »

Yes, thank you Mark!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 04:19:55 pm »

You are welcome Sharon and Alan. Kind of a "perfect storm" of considerations came together prompting me to get into this. First there was that LuLa thread Alan referenced, then there was the fact that RR asked us if would be interested in reviewing the Etching paper for which their profile used this approach, and thirdly, Josh Holko mentioned his use of polarized profiling in his recent article published on the site. So with all that, I decided this needed a close look-see. I'll be interested in any further comment on the subject; from what I could find, or perhaps better put, not find - it's received little attention in the past.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 05:01:16 pm »

from what I could find, or perhaps better put, not find - it's received little attention in the past.
As you note the instrumentation needed to do such profiles is expensive and most of us who do our own profiling would not make that kind of investment.  Maybe CHROMIX are the only ones around doing profiles in that manner.  It was interesting that they got a marginally better profile with Hahnemuhle Bamboo which is a pretty smooth surface paper (I just printed a couple of prints for a B&B that we stayed at yesterday).  I'm still not convinced about the physics of scattering but it's been too many years since I took optics in college.
Pages: [1]   Go Up