Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Long lens for Fuji GFX  (Read 10550 times)

mdelrossi

• http://www.delrossiphotography.com
Long lens for Fuji GFX
« on: September 28, 2017, 08:31:18 am »

Hello all,
I’m looking for a Long lens for Fuji GFX.
I’ve been using an 80-200 nikkor, but looking for something in the 300-400 range.
At B&H the have Pentax and mamiya 645 lenses used. The Pentax lenses ar a lot more expensive, are they really that much better?

Looking to use these for compressed landscape and architecture shots.
Thanks
mdr

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Long lens for Fuji GFX
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 07:03:27 pm »

I would check to see if the Pentax 645 lenses are AF or MF as AF will not help any and will cost considerably more.  Lots of the older 645 MF glass is very nice, the old 150mm was nice for sure, but they will lack the contrast of a modern lens on the GFX. 

The Mamiya 300 APO and 200 APO are both excellent lenses.  I use the 200mm a lot on my GFX an love it for size and sharpness, again it lacks the contrast of modern lens but I can get that back. 

Be careful on the Mamiya lenses as most if not all of the AF versions will not have a manual aperture ring so you will not be able to use them. 

I use the Fotodiox adapter for Mamiya/GFX and it seems to work fine. It has a removable tripod foot which is a nice feature also.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Graham Welland

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 11:34:11 pm »

As per Paul, I’ve been testing out the Mamiya 645 older lenses on the GFX with the fotodiox adapter.

So far 500/5.6 - sharp but as Paul mentioned it is low contrast and needs a boost in post processing. Deconvolution sharpening works well with it. I was surprised to find that it needed stopping down two stops to f/11 for best results with my copy at least.

I’ve also just started testing a Mamiya 200 APO both with & without the corresponding Mamiya 2x teleconverter. Again, plenty sharp enough and noticeably better than the 500mm (plus a LOT more portable).

Watch the fotodiox adapter if you use it as the tripod foot. I noticed that with mine it loosened up with the weight of these lenses plus it limits you to landscape orientation (500mm has its own rotatable foot).

Personally I’m looking forward to the new Fuji 250mm to hit the streets.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 08:51:21 am by Graham Welland »
Graham

Graham Welland

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 11:48:41 pm »

Mamiya 500/5.6 @ f/11 & 200 APO / 2x test shot examples - different days but from the same location (also before & after forest fire haze / closure of Crown Point).

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:46:15 am by Graham Welland »
Graham

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 01:28:51 am »

Nice test shots!

Best regards
Erik

Mamiya 500/5.6 @ f/11 & 200 APO / 2x test shot examples - different days but from the same location (also before & after forest fire haze / closure of Crown Point).
Erik Kaffehr

Graham Welland

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 04:45:08 am »

Thanks Eric. Luckily I have a great scenic location 15 min from my house on the same river/Columbia gorge location to test every lens/camera I've used.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 08:49:57 am by Graham Welland »
Graham

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 07:26:07 am »

HI Graham,

Which Mamiya 2x converter are you using?  The one that P1 sells? or an older version.  You have a great point on it's use with the 200mm, I need to check into that.

But I agree, the Fuji 250mm, will be interesting and I look forward to it.

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Graham Welland

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 08:44:18 am »

I was testing the original M645 2x converter, not the Phase One current adapter.

Basically a full legacy M645 glass combo vs the newer lenses. I've had these in the cupboard since the 1990's so it has been nice to try them out again. The M645 200 APO was new to me.

The 200 APO isn't as sharp as my 240 LS but as you mentioned, the AF lenses can't be used at the moment due to lack of aperture control on a purely manual camera system / adapter.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 08:47:40 am by Graham Welland »
Graham

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 11:34:18 am »

Hi,

I know an astronomer who is also a very knowledgeable MFD user. He bought a Mamiya 300/2.8 APO lens and he is very happy with it. They are still pretty expensive on EBay, but they may be worth a look?

Best regards
Erik

Hello all,
I’m looking for a Long lens for Fuji GFX.
I’ve been using an 80-200 nikkor, but looking for something in the 300-400 range.
At B&H the have Pentax and mamiya 645 lenses used. The Pentax lenses ar a lot more expensive, are they really that much better?

Looking to use these for compressed landscape and architecture shots.
Thanks
mdr
Erik Kaffehr

Graham Welland

Graham

cyron123

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 05:36:18 pm »

I have tested a mamiya c 300mm/f4 and a mamiya 80mm/1.9. I was not really satisfied with them. Now I bought a pentax FA 80-160mm and it is really much more sharper than than the mamiya lenses.
But it is a AF lens the manual focus of the pentax is not as good like a manual only one. But it works fine.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 07:16:16 pm »

Hi,

Did you test the Mamiya 300 F4.5? the white body lens?  On the GFX how did you control aperture, I would love to use this lens but the Fotodiox adapter will not work the aperture of the more modern Mamiya glass. 

The older 300 F2.8 APO, will work, but is massive and hard to find now.  The 200 F 2.8 is also excellent but also getting hard to find a good copy.

Would love to see a Schneider/P1 adapter some day for the GFX that would allow some excellent optics for the GFX as an alternative.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Graham Welland

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 12:25:54 am »

A couple more from the GFX & Mamiya 200/2.8 APO + 2x converter. Some deconvolution sharpening really works wonders with these files:

Graham

cyron123

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 12:42:06 am »

Hi Paul,
Yes I tried the older not white 300mm lens. Because it is the old C lens series it has a aperature ring.

Yes if there is a phase1 Adapter with aperature control this would be very fine...

Cyron
Hi,

Did you test the Mamiya 300 F4.5? the white body lens?  On the GFX how did you control aperture, I would love to use this lens but the Fotodiox adapter will not work the aperture of the more modern Mamiya glass. 

The older 300 F2.8 APO, will work, but is massive and hard to find now.  The 200 F 2.8 is also excellent but also getting hard to find a good copy.

Would love to see a Schneider/P1 adapter some day for the GFX that would allow some excellent optics for the GFX as an alternative.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell

cyron123

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 12:48:47 am »

Hi Paul,
This sounds you have already some p1 / Schneider lenses. Have you tried them with you mamiya Adapter?  I have done this. Aperature does not work of course but only for a try.

The sharpness was not really good with only wide open aperature even with the newest p1 lenses. For summary my mamiya c 300mm was not really good i assume my Adapter has a problem. I have used a novoflex gfx 2 mamiya Adapter. Not a fotodiox. I thought I buy a more expensive part and it will have tighter tolerances but at the end this could be wrong.

I need to try a fotodiox Adapter too for best comparison..
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:02:47 pm by cyron123 »

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 01:00:19 am »

Do check out the Pentax 645 A* 300 F4.

I've used this on the 645z (and my 5dsr) and it's a stunning lens.
The manual focus version can be had for under $500 CAD from my memory. 

I believe they may have made a matching 1.4x as well.
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

cyron123

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 04:03:11 pm »

Yes i belive the Pentax lenses are really good...

mdelrossi

• http://www.delrossiphotography.com
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 10:04:50 am »

Thanks for all the info.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 11:07:12 am »

Hi Paul,
This sounds you have already some p1 / Schneider lenses. Have you tried them with you mamiya Adapter?  I have done this. Aperature does not work of course but only for a try.

The sharpness was not really good with only wide open aperature even with the newest p1 lenses. For summary my mamiya c 300mm was not really good i assume my Adapter has a problem. I have used a novoflex gfx 2 mamiya Adapter. Not a fotodiox. I thought I buy a more expensive part and it will have tighter tolerances but at the end this could be wrong.

I need to try a fotodiox Adapter too for best comparison..

Hi,

No I did not attempt to use the Schneiders on the GFX.  I had been told you can't freeze the aperture like a Canon or Nikon Camera will allow by taking the lens off with the DOF button depressed. 

It's really too bad as the IC of the any of the P1/Mamiya modern lenses is perfect for a camera like the GFX.  I doubt that anyone will make an adapter however as no one has ever attempted it before.  Also I worry a bit about the leaf shutter in the Schneiders.  It's something that could be done as Fuji has the adapter for Hasselblad lenses, but they also had control/design on the mount.

Only hope for these besides an XF is if P1 ever does make a mirrorless, which seems not on the road map for anytime soon.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 11:11:25 am »

The Leica 280/4 Apo-Telyt-R is quite good stopped down a bit, but it is dear:

http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/leica-2804-apo-r-on-fujifilm-gfx-50s/

Jim
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up