Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two years and counting  (Read 2563 times)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Two years and counting
« on: September 27, 2017, 05:37:11 PM »

Well I am still happily using Aperture.
Any news on compatibility with High Sierra?
The only problem so far is new cameras but being supported due to the change in the way the raw conversion is done.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Blog - http://AspirationImages.com/blog
Landscape, Portrait, Product Photography - Sydney, Australia

ppmax2

Re: Two years and counting
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 07:15:52 PM »

Works fine for me!

Still using Aperture...but now also using C1Pro and RawTherapee for images that require some additional mojo.

Still the best library management available ;)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 07:47:59 AM »

Also still using Aperture but still on Yosemite. I have older MACs here that cannot upgrade OS so I've been postponing updating this on. I considered Lightroom but given the recent changes by Adobe probably won't. I did buy After Shot Pro to investigate, figured it could work for me but am not going to change over until I have to. I also have Pixelmator but rarely use it. I don't want to spend my time testing software. I feel no need to upgrade cameras so don't have that pressure. When I have to give up the features of Aperture, I will not be happy.

Off-topic, is anyone aware of any issues updating from Yosemite to whatever the newest version, as I think I've skipped one OS step.
--
Robert
robertroaldi.zenfolio.com

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 05:07:01 PM »

Off-topic, is anyone aware of any issues updating from Yosemite to whatever the newest version, as I think I've skipped one OS step.
El Capitan, works excellent. Faster than Yosemite. Recommended if you can get an instal.
Sierra, works with some bugs but won't read the new raw files from Canon M5 etc. Old raws OK. Apple in it's wisdom has changed the way raw is stored.
High Sierra, apparently works also. Not tested by me yet.

HywelPhillips

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 01:58:36 PM »

Still using Aperture as well, slowly transitioning to C1 for some stuff (and still using Phocus for one-light colour correction of Hasselblad files too).

I tried a test install of Sierra on one MacBook and Aperture wouldn't open my A7RII RAW files. No idea why, I didn't pursue it at the time. Might do a clean install of Sierra and try again. Wary of High Sierra for other reasons.

So I'm still on Yosemite and Aperture, and dreading when a new camera purchase makes Aperture non-viable. No other software has the combination of features and swift work-flow I rely upon (little stuff like universal keyboard shortcuts and general hatred of Adobe UI ruling out Lightroom). C1 Pro is a bit cumbersome on retouching by comparison with Aperture, doesn't support my favourite skin smoothing plug-in, and has no skin smoothing tool natively. And is annoying crippled to not process Hasselblad files.

Picktorial looks OK for my needs but crashes too much; I ought to to follow up why or try on a clean installled OS, because otherwise it has the tools I need and not too many unnecessary mouse clicks per photo.
DXO's out of the box results are a bit cartoonish and retouch is lacking.
Affinity photo is OK for single image work but not processing sets (which is essentially 100% of my work)
Luminar is fun to play with, but not for serious production runs.
Alien Skin Exposure is a toy too, but very pretty for playing with individual shots. 

Many of these are great for playing with single images, but cranking out 20+ sets of 100+ images per week the workflow limitations really start to show.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

If only C1 Pro would bury the damn hatchet with Hasselblad, I'd move over to it for everything and figure out skin smoothing somehow.

Cheers, Hywel

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 04:44:27 PM »

1. I tried a test install of Sierra on one MacBook and Aperture wouldn't open my A7RII RAW files.

2. Many of these are great for playing with single images, but cranking out 20+ sets of 100+ images per week the workflow limitations really start to show.  If only C1 Pro would bury the damn hatchet with Hasselblad, I'd move over to it for everything and figure out skin smoothing somehow.

1. See previous post
2. Ditto. I want Aperture for it's Asset Management more than its editing. Export is fabulous. There are plenty of editing programmes. C1 is also out because I use Hasselblad but I have concerns about C1 asset management. It does not look solid.

drralph

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 08:14:49 AM »

I have a new camera which is not supported on Aperture.  So I have been using LR for that camera only.  Coming from an Aperture background, I am not happy with the DAM capabilities of LR.  I am fine with the editing capabilities.

I am curious about the combination of C1 plus Media Pro SE.  It sounds like PhaseOne has not shown a commitment to properly develop Media Pro.  People also seem unhappy about paying an upgrade fee for what was essentially a maintenance release.

The other option of interest is the upcoming Luminar 2018.  It sounds like the DAM portion will be more along the lines of Photos than Aperture.  Wondering if it will have the horsepower and organizational ability to handle a very large library like mine.  Also, how do the editing capabilities of Luminar compare to Aperture?

I dread the day when some OS update breaks Aperture in perpetuity.  I keep hoping a satisfying replacement will emerge.  The last thing I want is to make a commitment to a new system, and then be forced to change yet again in the future.  That seems to be a strong suit for Adobe and LR: they aren't going away anytime soon.

tonywong

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 08:38:05 PM »

drralph,

I have newer unsupported camera formats as well.

I used Adobe DNG convertor, free here, to batch convert to DNG 7.1 and Aperture then reads the files without problem, although I did recall I had to downgrade to DNG6.6 because of some vague issue for a time.

Adds another step but it keeps my Aperture limping along because nothing else comes close to the way Aperture functions.

drralph

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 10:34:21 AM »

DNG is an interesting option that I had not considered.  I believe the file sizes are considerably larger, but that should not really matter.  Thanks for that suggestion!

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 12:11:28 PM »

DNG is an interesting option that I had not considered.  I believe the file sizes are considerably larger

If you embed the native raw file then the DNG is much larger - otherwise not so much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up