Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you do with all of these photos (physical, not digital ones)  (Read 1492 times)

farbschlurf

• fototypo

Hello!

Just now I am trying to tidy up few shelves with the accumulated photo stuff from the last one and a half years. I guess I'll end up with another 2 or 3 medium sized boxes full of prints and negatives. Again I wonder, whether it would be a good idea to keep all this stuff or to trash it right away. Over the years, decades in the mean time, I collected a lot of "photo-related-stuff" in the cellar, in my office, in some corners under the shelves or on top of them. Mostly it's are collecting dust. Only sometimes I take another look - which I do enjoy, but also thinking whether it was worth to store it. My flat isn't really big, I'm not in the situation there's plenty of room, actually everything is "full". Annoying. On the other hand something in me refuses to trash my pictures. (Same thing in digital, but here it's not so much of an room problem ...)

I just ask myself, pure curiosity, how you do this. Keep stuff? Trash it? Have a system of what to keep and what to dump?

I wonder ...
farbschlurf

Otto Phocus

Re: What do you do with all of these photos (physical, not digital ones)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 06:13:48 am »

I tend to keep the negitivest but I have to admit that I have no system of retrieval  :-[
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 07:16:55 am »

I tend to keep the negitivest but I have to admit that I have no system of retrieval  :-[

Just be happy you don't have to face it as a career move from one country to another. I did just that; sold what I could in the way of negs and trannies to clients and destroyed most of the rest. How I regret that today. Keep everything you've shot.

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 08:29:44 am »

Suggestion: Have a party/open house. Invite as many friends, relatives and neighbours as you can. Let them take what they will (prints only, keep the negs). Sign the prints for them. Some of my nephews and nieces took numerous of my prints away to decorate their new homes/apartments/university dorms, and were very grateful and appreciative.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 08:55:53 am »

Have seventeen grandkids as I have, and give the stuff to them. They'll treasure it.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 12:00:06 pm »

I have always made an effort to organize slides and negatives in appropriate folders. I also have albums with prints. All in shelves in the "office".

Telecaster

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 02:22:08 pm »

I've kept all my transparencies and negatives going back to the early 1980s, but I don't keep prints. Prints go to friends, neighbors and family…or get tossed. I've also kept RAWs from 2003 (Canon 10D) forward, but every so often I do a mass delete of processed files.

IMO getting rid of no-longer-necessary stuff is just as enjoyable as getting it in the first place.

-Dave-

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 03:56:23 am »

Thanks for your thoughts. Interesting.
I don't have a system to find anything in particular, either. That means, everything is roughly chronological, I should start to make notes, but I'm afraid I'm not a very organized man when it comes to that ...

Pages: [1]   Go Up