Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fuji GFX 50 with 3rd party lenses  (Read 6347 times)

rollsman44

fuji GFX 50 with 3rd party lenses
« on: September 19, 2017, 10:26:26 pm »

Just looking to see who is using 3rd party lens and which ones you feel give close to or better Image quality the the Fuji GF lenses. Thank you, Dennis

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: fuji GFX 50 with 3rd party lenses
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 08:52:21 am »

I currently only use one, the Mamiya 200mm APO F2.8 with the Fotodiox adapter.  On the GFX, this lens is excellent, but it's an excellent lens period.  Sad that P1 choose to exclude this lens with the XF.  One day I might have it modified to fit on the XF. 

I have tried a lot of Nikon lenses 35mm.  What I discovered:

Modern Nikon glass with the new Electronic Aperture, won't work at all, examples 200-500mm, 70-200mm and 24-70mm. 

All of the older telephoto glass I have 200-400mm, last gen 70-200, 300F4 are pretty worthless unless you are wiling to crop.  IC on Nikon is way too small.  And the crop is extensive, enough that to me it's not worth the shot.  Focus is difficult and I still saw a lot of smearing in the corners.  Just not a good fit.

The Nikon 14-24 does work from around 18mm and on up.  The IC of this lens much be a bit larger than normal Nikon lenses.  But it's not that much wider than the Fuji 23mm so I no longer work with it.

Net to me, I have yet to find any non Fuji lens that works better besides the Mamiya 200mm.  Fuji glass for the GFX is excellent

I have looked at a lot of shots of the Canon TS-E 24mm and 17mm and I still see issues on the shifts where the IC of the Canon lens is stressed.  On center both are very good however.  The Nikon 19mm in theory would work once the aperture was locked, but so far no one seems to have tried it.

Of topic, but if Fuji would rework the AF on the GFX so that it handles low light a bit better, it would be great. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

rollsman44

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 10:23:12 am »

Thank you I do appreciate your feedback. I just need a Portrait lens for the GFX. I shoot F4.0 to F5.6 most of the time so I don't need F2,8   Do you know how the Pentax 645 MF lenses are on the GFX. Ex. A 150, A 120 . Or any other suggestions.  Also, if you can recommend a good adaptor. I read about the Kippon as being one of the better ones.  Thanks   Dennis

mdelrossi

• http://www.delrossiphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 10:41:31 am »

Having come from Nikon, I have a few lenses that I use with the GFX.
105 ƒ1.8 it's lovely rendering for portraits, definitely need to stop down so you can get both eyes in focus ;) .
80-200 ƒ2.8, portraits and a longer reach.

Rokinon 24 TS ƒ3.5. Was looking at the Canon 24 TS vII, but with the need for another adapter and one that can change aperture, I decided to try this one.
Actually quite surprised at the sharpness, stopped down to 11-22 as I need front to back sharpness. at these apertures its a very close second to the 32-64G zoom.

When the new adapters come out and allow for aperture change, and exif data transfer I might get the 17 TS as I find myself in up against the wall more times than not ;) .

Until Fuji fleshes out their lens lineup, adapted lens are the way to go.
Good luck
mdr

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 11:35:19 am »

Just looking to see who is using 3rd party lens and which ones you feel give close to or better Image quality the the Fuji GF lenses. Thank you, Dennis

I've tested a lot of third party lenses on the GFX. The best one, all things considered, is the Zeiss 135/2 Apo-Sonnar (I tested the ZF.2 version). The 85/1.4 and 55/1.4 Otus are quite sharp (of course) but don't cover the frame completely. They are OK if you want squarer pictures.

AFAIK, the best thing about the GFX is the Fuji native lenses. All but one is spectacular, and that one, the 63, is merely excellent.

For special purposes, there are lenses that do well. The CO 60/4, for example. Brian Caldwell tells me that its largest image circle is at 1:8 magnification. The Nikon 105/1.4 provides interesting images wide open -- which is the only way it works on the GFX, it being an E lens). But you asked about IQ in general against the top-notch Fuji lenses.

Jim

rollsman44

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 11:52:39 am »

Thank you for the selected ones: What about the other 645 systems lenses  ex: Rollei Med Format, Contax 645  pentax etc    ??   Thanks  Dennis

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 12:12:05 pm »

Thank you for the selected ones: What about the other 645 systems lenses  ex: Rollei Med Format, Contax 645  pentax etc    ??   Thanks  Dennis

I tested the following HC lenses: 35, 50-100, 80, 120 I, and 150. None were bad. None were anywhere near what the Fuji lenses could deliver. HCD lenses would probably be better. After the test, I sold my H bodies and all those lenses.

http://blog.kasson.com/?s=hasselblad+gfx+HC

Jim

rollsman44

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 12:52:58 pm »

What about the Pentax 645 lenses or Pentax 67 lenses .  Other brands I would be interested to know as well.  I need 1 Portrait lens thats it  Thank you
   I read about the CZ 135/F2 Apo Sonnar ZF 2 version. I was very impressed with the review of a member using it on GFX. But, I would like to see what else is out there that can be just as good

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 01:23:34 pm »

What about the Pentax 645 lenses or Pentax 67 lenses .  Other brands I would be interested to know as well.  I need 1 Portrait lens thats it  Thank you
   I read about the CZ 135/F2 Apo Sonnar ZF 2 version. I was very impressed with the review of a member using it on GFX. But, I would like to see what else is out there that can be just as good

I haven't tried those MF lenses. I did try two V lenses. The 500/8 apo was a bust. The 250 SA was quite good, but the Leica 280/4 Apo is better.

I don't think you're going to find a 135 that's as good at the Apo-Sonnar.

Jim

rollsman44

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 02:08:17 pm »

Ok Thank you very much

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 12:02:57 pm »

In another thread http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=120518.0, I asked about using any of the Nikon PC-E lenses with the GFX. While I have decided not to purchase the GFX, for now at least, I remain curious. I received two responses to my earlier query, both helpful but neither gave any specific experience with PC-E lenses on the GFX. Perhaps this thread will generate more interest and/ or be seen by someone who has actually used these lenses with the GFX.
Thanks.
Eric

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 12:13:11 pm »

In another thread http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=120518.0, I asked about using any of the Nikon PC-E lenses with the GFX. While I have decided not to purchase the GFX, for now at least, I remain curious. I received two responses to my earlier query, both helpful but neither gave any specific experience with PC-E lenses on the GFX. Perhaps this thread will generate more interest and/ or be seen by someone who has actually used these lenses with the GFX.

I used the Nikon 24 T/S on the GFX. It was soft in the corners, which is what I expected. I sold it. I had no way to control the aperture, although I understand you can use a Nikon body for that if you're a glutton for punishment.

OTOH, the Fuji 23/4 works spectacularly on the GFX.

I'd be interested in using the 19 T/S on the GFX if there were some way to control the aperture.

Jim

marc aurel

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 01:33:48 pm »

I knew the TS-Es would work. But I was very surprised that the Canon 200mm f2.8 L II worked perfectly on the GFX. No disturbing vignetting. Sharpness on the GFX is better than the same lens on the 5DsR across the frame - even in the corners.

The TS-E 17 and 24 work very well too. Shift is a bit more limited than on the 5DsR, so you've got to know your lenses really well. The T-E 90mm has a more limited image circle, but alllows some shift too. My PC-Distagon 35mm does not show the desaturation it does on the 5DsR with full shift in the corners (maybe a bit, but not much). 

I started working with a mixed system for my architectural work two weeks ago. Two cameras using the same lenses - GFX and 5DsR with these lenses: TS-E 17mm, 24mm, 90mm, PC-Distagon 35mm, 200mm 2.8 L II. Will soon be accomplished by the TS-E 50mm and the new TS-E 90mm L. Gives me a row of shift lenses with 14, 17, 20, 24, 29, 35, 41, 50, 71, 90 mm + 164 and 200mm without shift.
The results so far are amazing. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 01:40:49 pm by marc aurel »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 03:02:15 pm »

I used the Nikon 24 T/S on the GFX. It was soft in the corners, which is what I expected. I sold it. I had no way to control the aperture, although I understand you can use a Nikon body for that if you're a glutton for punishment.

OTOH, the Fuji 23/4 works spectacularly on the GFX.

I'd be interested in using the 19 T/S on the GFX if there were some way to control the aperture.

Jim

Hi Jim

Can you not control the aperture on the 19mm the same way as the 24mm?  Set aperture on a Nikon body then depress the DOF preview button and remove the lens? 

I agree the 19mm would be a nice lens on the GFX.

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 03:10:03 pm »

Hi Jim

Can you not control the aperture on the 19mm the same way as the 24mm?  Set aperture on a Nikon body then depress the DOF preview button and remove the lens? 

I think so. That's what I meant when I was talking about being a glutton for punishment.

Jim

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 06:40:03 pm »

I agree, on the glutton for punishment part!!

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 01:09:13 am »

I agree, a Nikon body is a rather expensive and somewhat clumsy "adapter."

hauxon

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 06:54:17 am »

Very interesting article. TechArt Canon EF -> GFX adapter.  Supports AF, IS and electronic aperture control.  Might be what's needed to push me towards the GFX.

Jonas Rask: Techart Pro EF to GFX smart adapter 

Conner999

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 11:17:00 am »

Two worth considering would be the Mamiya M645  120/4 Macro and M645 150/2.8 ULD. Have used on D800, etc and they are fantastic.  The 200 APO, as mentioned is a stunner.

If your research makes either the 120 or 150 appeal to you, let me know. I was thinking of holding onto the 120 for use with an X1D (with electronic shutter) and sell the 150, but with the Otus 85 and 135/2 APO, I may part with both near mint copies.

Ming Thein also tested some Nikon, Zeiss, Sigma and Voigtlander APO lenses with a prototype (non Hassy) adapter. Not an Fuji, but since same sensor.... The Milvus and Voigtlander results are interesting. Glad I hung onto my 90APO and wish I'd kept my 180.

https://blog.mingthein.com/2017/08/24/e-shutter-firmware-for-the-hasselblad-x1d/#more-15856
Pages: [1]   Go Up