Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: photoshop color setting and window CM  (Read 2855 times)

ato

photoshop color setting and window CM
« on: September 08, 2006, 02:28:16 am »

i'm using eizo cg220,the profile already load in monitor and create on my window system.

in photoshop color setting, my monitor profile  better than use adobeRGB.so should i need set it to my monitor working space?

in window system,LUT loaded in monitor and do a correction,should i load the window profile??and i can't see the big different between no ICC or have ICC...  

thx for help

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 05:38:46 pm »

i'm using eizo cg220,the profile already load in monitor and create on my window system.

in photoshop color setting, my monitor profile  better than use adobeRGB.so should i need set it to my monitor working space?

in window system,LUT loaded in monitor and do a correction,should i load the window profile??and i can't see the big different between no ICC or have ICC...  

thx for help
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75845\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

NEVER set your display profile as a working space.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 09:10:14 pm »

Ato, from your questions I sense that you are new to the subject of colour management (but if I am wrong about this and you don't need the following information, please excuse me). I recommend that you read the various articles on this website about colour management, and also buy and read a book called "Color Confidence" by Tim Grey. It is a very good introduction to the subject, especially for those wishing an elementary and immediately practical understanding of what they need to do to get predictable color prints.

To deal with your specific inquiry, it is best first to sort out some language: I like to make a distinction between a "working space" and an ICC "profile". A working space defines the range of colours available to you as you edit your images. It defines the outer limits of colours available from the visible spectrum. These working spaces can be smaller or larger, depending on your needs. Examples of working spaces are sRGB, Adobe RGB(98), or ProPhoto, going from smaller to larger. sRGB is used for for photos only being displayed on the internet, but  Adobe RGB(98) is very commonly used for printing photographs from 8-bit per channel image files. The working space is selected according to the purpose and can be used with any monitor profile and any printer profile.

Separately from the working space, you need a profile for your monitor which insures that the hues your monitor shows you are faithful to the data in your image file. You need to create such a profile using a measuring device called a "colorimeter" and its associated software. Monitors need to be re-calibrated and re-profiled at regular intervals because they tend to "drift" over time, so it is good to invest in this calibration equipment if you want reliable color. Once you create a profile using this equipment, that profile becomes your monitor profile.

Then for printing, you also need a profile that characterizes your printer and the specific kind of paper it is using, so that the printer will print colours faithfully according to the image data in the file being sent to print. Once the monitor profile and the printer/paper profile are correct, you will get from the printer a reasonably consistent and faithful rendition of what is on the monitor (remembering that you see direct light from the monitor and reflected light from the printer, so the image will never look EXACTLY the same).

Printer/paper profiles can be obtained directly from the software provided with your printer, or various services provide custom-made profiles for your printer once you print a target according to their instructions and send it to them. They return a profile to you in the form of a data file which you load into the appropriate folder of your hard-drive. Then there are also some settings in Photoshop and in your printer driver needed to complete the set-up correctly.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 09:14:10 pm by MarkDS »
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 04:47:55 pm »

A working space is simply a color space you edit your file in. The RGB working space you should be using are different from the other working spaces (CMYK or Gray) because they are synthetic constructs of a color space that are well behaved (when R=G=B you have a neutral). These working space are not based on any real world input or output color space. That's not the case with say a CMYK working space which is a color space based on a print condition.

You can use a non well-behaved, non-synthetic RGB color space as a working space. The example would be loading your display profile which I mentioned is a very bad idea. It defeats the benefits of the working spaces provided by Adobe and based on theoretical/synthetic color spaces.

Adobe invented the term "working space" and it's a bit confusing. All working spaces are defined by an ICC profile. That's pretty much all a profile does; define a color space. A color space gives RGB, CMYK and Grayscale numbers a scale within the color space of human vision.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up