Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pete Turner, RIP  (Read 2715 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Pete Turner, RIP
« on: September 18, 2017, 10:51:46 pm »

One of my favorite photographers, Pete Turner, died this morning. One of his many iconic photographs and one of my all-time favorites:

http://www.peteturner.com/

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Pete Turner, RIP
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 11:39:18 pm »

Sad news. Thanks for sharing it, Slobo.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 04:38:35 am »

I did not know his photographs...
This one is very nice indeed.
PK
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 05:10:44 am »

Thanks for the information, Slobodan.

Along with Art Kane and Bert Stern, one of the great American advertising and editorial photographers of the 50s and 60s when so much was new - at least to me - and that's what counted. All gone; what a sad reality of life, fame and respect.

RIP Pete, you will be missed by those of us who knew your pictures.

Rob C

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 05:29:04 am »

Rob C

Absolutely!

Thanks for sharing, Slobodan

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 01:03:42 pm »

Pete Turner's color images were always spectacular and often intriguing.  Sorry to hear about his passing.

donbga

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 01:16:48 pm »

Thanks for the information, Slobodan.

Along with Art Kane and Bert Stern, one of the great American advertising and editorial photographers of the 50s and 60s when so much was new - at least to me - and that's what counted. All gone; what a sad reality of life, fame and respect.

Rob C

One of my favorite memories was meeting and talking to the fabulous Pete Turner. He was a regular guy but an unreal photographer.

From Wikipedia:
He is perhaps best known as one of the first masters of color photography. PDN voted him as one of the 20 most influential photographers of all time and in 1981 the American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP) awarded him its Outstanding Achievement in Photography honor.

Noted critic A. D. Coleman described the work of Pete Turner as having "A dramatist's sense of event, intense and saturated coloration, and a distinct if indescribable otherness are omnipresent in Turner's images".

He graduated from the Rochester Institute of Technology in 1956 along with classmates Bruce Davidson and Jerry Uelsmann.

Cornfield

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 01:34:19 pm »

His images are really strong and dramatic.  Looks as if he was years ahead of his time.

donbga

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 02:46:17 pm »

His images are really strong and dramatic.  Looks as if he was years ahead of his time.
Well there were a few color photographers that preceded him that knew how to wheel a camera loaded with Kodachrome, such as Ernst Haas and Saul Leiter. They all had their own style and will be remembered for the outstanding work they produced without using Photoshop. Yes their darkroom printers coaxed out reproductions for them, many onto dye transfer, but the photographers opened the door for the rest of the world to see through their eyes and brains.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 02:58:29 pm »

Well there were a few color photographers that preceded him that knew how to wheel a camera loaded with Kodachrome, such as Ernst Haas and Saul Leiter. They all had their own style and will be remembered for the outstanding work they produced without using Photoshop. Yes their darkroom printers coaxed out reproductions for them, many onto dye transfer, but the photographers opened the door for the rest of the world to see through their eyes and brains.

These photographers also knew how to make the most of film and associated techniques that utilized its shortcomings and chemistries and the way it responed to over- or underexposure. They knew all about copying and making sandwiches that you wouldn't eat.

Perhaps they also had the advantage of being of a time when the new was exciting, and not just seen as another boring old PS trick. Today's ease of manipulation has brought a limitless panorama, but at what cost to the sense of fulfillment of the photographer? If anything, I think that underlines the reasons for the success of people like Peter Lindbergh and Hans Feurer: their work looks, basically, to be honest and gimmick-free, even if highly polished.

Telecaster

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 04:48:41 pm »

The first time I knowingly saw Pete Turner's color photos they already looked familiar. When I was little I got to see my dad's friend Ben working in his "lab." He'd been an Army photographer during WWII and after that a photojournalist. For fun he used Kodachrome (which is how & why my dad got into it) and would do what other experimenters, like Pete Turner no doubt, were doing: underexpose the film at initial capture for richer color, then re-photograph it using a larger format camera to fine tune saturation and contrast.

No idea what happened to the color work Ben produced. He'd show it to friends from time to time but never did anything commercially with it.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 05:24:49 pm »

The first time I knowingly saw Pete Turner's color photos they already looked familiar. When I was little I got to see my dad's friend Ben working in his "lab." He'd been an Army photographer during WWII and after that a photojournalist. For fun he used Kodachrome (which is how & why my dad got into it) and would do what other experimenters, like Pete Turner no doubt, were doing: underexpose the film at initial capture for richer color, then re-photograph it using a larger format camera to fine tune saturation and contrast.

No idea what happened to the color work Ben produced. He'd show it to friends from time to time but never did anything commercially with it.

-Dave-

Yes, and it sometimes surprises me to hear people say wow, and to think so-and-so did all that without PS! The real point, I think, lies in the surprise that those early experimenters thought of looking for different effects with film. Most of the time pros would be concerned with getting the best realistic representation of their client's product, working with film and trying not to abuse it. It was the "art" crowd that got into abusing film, and that continued into Polaroid and the many abuses to which it became subjected. So a crossover breed of photographer such as Turner and Kane would play the game in two courts at once. Brave!

mbkinsman

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 09:22:44 pm »

One of my favorite color photographers. His album covers for CTI records were captivating. He will be missed.

mediumcool

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 08:17:06 pm »

My first exposure [groan] to Mr Turner was his album cover shot for a Wes Montgomery album (‘Road Song’ 1968), seen in the early ’70s. I became a fan, and seem to recall that Turner used a Nikon (natch) with a 20mm Flektogon. Never did get a Flektogon!

Eric Meola (about twelve years younger) is something of a successor to Turner, and is still with us. One of his best-known pictures.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 03:26:53 am »

My first exposure [groan] to Mr Turner was his album cover shot for a Wes Montgomery album (‘Road Song’ 1968), seen in the early ’70s. I became a fan, and seem to recall that Turner used a Nikon (natch) with a 20mm Flektogon. Never did get a Flektogon!

Eric Meola (about twelve years younger) is something of a successor to Turner, and is still with us. One of his best-known pictures.

But sadly, Kodachrome is not; well, apart from a few cassettes within the memory drawer in my freezer.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up