Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tele lens on tech camera  (Read 1880 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Tele lens on tech camera
« on: September 18, 2017, 08:04:00 pm »

Hi team,

I was wondering what you guys are using in terms of tele lenses on your tech camera + MFDB.

I have a Rodenstock 150mm about to be mounted in Arca mount, is someone using a longer lens?

Obviously the pancake designs aren't a good match for these, but I would consider also investing in a Arca Universalis or equivalent to mount these.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

Gerd_Peters

Re: Tele lens on tech camera
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 05:23:56 am »

Hi team,

.... is someone using a longer lens?.....

Yes....

- SK APO Symmar F5.6 L 180mm
- Nikkor AM ED F5.6 210mm
- Nikkor M F8 200mm
- Nikkor M F9 300mm

I use the lenses on a Sinar P2 or a Cambo Actus XL. However, I have no MFDB but use only MF bodys.

Greeting Gerd

vjbelle

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 07:23:45 am »

Bernard..... My longest lens is a Schneider 180mm Digitar used on my Cambo DB+.  I use it along with my Schneider 120mm Asph Digitar and have not used my 150mm for some time.  The 180mm in Alpa mount would be a monster and heavy with lots of forward weight but in a Cambo copal 0 lens plate it is surprisingly light.  It is very sharp and one of my more used lenses. 

Victor

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 07:59:08 am »

Bernard,
I have the sk150 and that is my longest. I've decided to keep an eye out for an HB 250 SA. Until then, I bring along the Leica 180r attached to the Sony a7rII.

I do keep wishing Alpa would offer a "double short barrel" option in a long lens like a 210 or longer. Lens on the front and (2) 34mm adapters on the back would keep it balanced. But I think I will be waiting forever...

Dave

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 08:09:56 am »

Yes....

- SK APO Symmar F5.6 L 180mm
- Nikkor AM ED F5.6 210mm
- Nikkor M F8 200mm
- Nikkor M F9 300mm

I use the lenses on a Sinar P2 or a Cambo Actus XL. However, I have no MFDB but use only MF bodys.

Thanks Gerd.

How well does the Nikkor M F9 300mm perform?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

Gerd_Peters

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 10:43:01 pm »

Hello Bernard,

the Nikkore on the M series all work very well (the 450mm I have however unfortunately no more).

- Small and light (the 300mm is Copal 1).
- No or barely recognizable CA's (depending on the light situation).
- Color reproduction is very natural.
- For my feeling very nice tone transitions with many details.
- Consistent color reproduction over all M series lenses.
- Sharp when the aperture is open (F9) although it is not as strong as modern lenses.
- Picture circle is huge - 325mm at F22.

About the absolute circle performance, but I cannot make real data.
I can digitally max. (a little bigger) up to 4x5 "stitching. In the area practically no falling edge performance is perceptible for me. As MF body I use the Fuji GFX or the Pentax 645Z. On the Cambo Actus XL, however, I can only use the GFX at this time.

Disadvantage:
- You need a long basic tube on the technical camera and a long bellows at least 20 - 45 cm - depending on the motif distance.
- The GF lenses are all not as backlight insensitive as very modern lenses (despite coating).
- Open aperture F9 (for me no real disadvantage).

Digital I dazzle mostly to F16 or F22. With your MFDB, you can still fade further before the visible diffraction is disturbing.

I have a Scann from the original prospectus of the Nikkore attached for further information.
The T lenses might be interesting for you. With the T lenses you can change the focal distance only by exchanging the rear lens.

I hope the information helps you something further.
I can also make a photo with the 300mm with us in the field for you at the weekend. What would be important to you?

Greeting Gerd

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 04:58:22 pm »

Thanks a lot Gerd,

In fact I do own a copy of the 300mm M mounted on a 4x5 lens board. I was always impressed by that lens with film sheets and wondering how well it works with modern sensors.

You answer is perfecf, thank you again!!! ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up