Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Artistic Satin Saturation Issue  (Read 1726 times)

Thenolands

Canon Artistic Satin Saturation Issue
« on: September 18, 2017, 12:24:52 am »

Having an issue with what seems to me to be an extreme lack of saturation with this canvas. The photo attached is a test print on the canvas using Canon's icc profile compared with a print on luster paper that nearly identically represents the original artwork. It should also be noted that the soft proof matches pretty well with what I got in print with the canvas (shows large amount of desaturation in soft proofing).

I have heard that Hahnemuhle Goya canvas may be similar (or exactly the same) to Canon Artistic Satin so for fun I downloaded Hahnemuhle's icc profile and it was only very slightly better in soft proof (have not printed using Hahnemuhle's icc).

I have turned off color management of the printer. The print is unvarnished but in your experience should the print be this far off before varnishing? As in, does the profile take into account varnishing? I wouldn't think so but I am new to printing on canvas.

I have contacted inkjetart regarding making a custom profile but have not heard back as it is the weekend.

Anyone have similar experiences or know where this could be going off the rails?

Thenolands

Re: Canon Artistic Satin Saturation Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 07:27:34 pm »

No one has had this issue? For those that print on canvas (doesn't have to be the same canvas) do you find that the color and saturation match pretty well prior to varnishing or are the profiles designed so the print will look correct only after varnishing?

Related: if you soft proof with an icc profile for canvas, does it show much less saturation in screen? If so, what is one to do for art reproduction purposes? I don't want to go around trying to change every color and adjustment sliding trying to get it to match.

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 11:09:36 pm »

Having an issue with what seems to me to be an extreme lack of saturation with this canvas.
From your photo it looks more like a lack of contrast, i.e. poor black level, or maximum density of all the print channels. Maybe that's a limitation of the paper/ink combination, or maybe the printing conditions and profile are not fully optimized.

Thenolands

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 09:06:32 am »

I downloaded red river's Blanco Matte canvas profile and soft proofed with that. It looks a lot better - still slightly less contrast than the luster paper but not bad. Really strange that Canon and Hahnemuhle profile would be that poor. Hopefully Inkjet Art's will be really good. I have heard good things.

Thenolands

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 11:07:47 pm »

I received my custom profile from inkjet art and it works amazingly well... in Lightroom. When I exported from Lightroom using TIFF format, no compression in prophoto color space and printed via photoshop the colors were off (especially reds were more orange). So, my question is, what is the proper way to export from Lightroom and get the same print in photoshop?

My current steps:
1) export as TIFF in prophoto color space with zero compression
2) open new file in photoshop, select prophoto as color space of the file
3) drag and drop image onto "canvas"
4) select "print"
5) change color management to photoshop (instead of printer), select custom icc profile, select black point comp, relative colorimetric (same as I did in Lightroom)
6) print

I am wanting to print in photoshop for the canvas printing module it has otherwise I would just use Lightroom and be done with it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up