Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moab area  (Read 1451 times)

marvpelkey

Moab area
« on: September 17, 2017, 11:45:45 pm »

I am driving down to Denver, Co (from Vancouver BC) at the end of October for a family function. I am intending on returning the 1st of November and, as a photog friend is flying down and driving back with me, we intend on taking I70 west through/over the Rockies and stopping in the Moab area for a couple days of shooting, before proceeding on.

As I have driven to/from Denver a gazillion times over the last four/five years, and have been to Moab a couple times, I am quite familiar with the route and destination(s). However, I have only visited Moab in the heat of the summer months.

So, for anyone who is familiar with that area during the beginning of November, is there any advice I should be aware of particularly for that time of year?

What's the potential for snow? I understand this will be a La Nena winter. I am familiar with it's effects in the coastal BC area but not sure how it may impact the southwest.

Will Mesa Arch etc have decent early morning light (the only early morning I have shot Mesa, the sun rose under the arch, presumably it will be much farther to the south)?

Will be driving a small SUV with 4 wheel drive but don't really wish to test its capabilities in the snow. Should snow be present, are the state/national parks plowed for traffic access?

All thoughts/comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Marv

degrub

Re: Moab area
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 12:30:32 am »

A little early for anything major. More likely moderate days with occassional light rain/snow/ice in the passes if anything. You may well have to have chains to cross the Sierra if you get unlucky and cannot wait it out. 4WD or AWD are only as good as the tires.

Interstates and other snow routes get cleared first. State and National parks will be lower priority or depend on private contractors.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 12:42:59 am by degrub »

marvpelkey

Re: Moab area
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 12:05:42 am »

Degrub,

Thanks for the reply.

I have been stopped by snow trying to get in/out of Colorado a couple times before in both April/May and October (and in 60 mph plus winds in the Cheyenne area) so was unsure how November would be in the Moab area (although it is lower in elevation). And, as suggested, I will be carrying a set of chains.

Thanks again,

Marv
Pages: [1]   Go Up