Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Really slow performance - why?  (Read 4060 times)

pemihan

Really slow performance - why?
« on: September 17, 2017, 02:53:57 pm »

Hi,

I'm experiencing really really slow performance in C1 on my 2010 Mac Pro 3.33 GHz 6-core with 32 GB RAM and AMD Radeon HD 7950 3072 MB GPU. The boot drive is SSD and the image files are on internal regular hard drives. I'm running OS 10.11.6 El Capitan.
I run C1 as one big session, the session file is located on a second SSD (different than the boot drive)

The app is so slow as being almost unusable, everything I do comes with a significant drag, sliders, masks, even clicking on items the menu line. The issue has started with C1 10 and seems to haven gotten worse after upgrading to 10.2.

I have created a test user on my machine and made a test folder with a few images and then it runs much more smoothly.

What can the issue be? Too many images in one session? Need to do a clean install of C1? Run C1 as catalog instead of one session?

Thanks
Peter

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Really slow performance - why?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 04:18:33 pm »

Quick question, you say one big session.  I use sessions also, but open raws by folder, i.e. each shoot is in a separate folder so C1 creates a new cache folder for each location.  Each time you point to a new folder C1 will create the preview cache info in a "capture one" folder under that same location. Are you putting all your files in one single location?  and then using C1?  That may be an issue for a session type work flow not sure.

I keep raws on Mac or PC in separate folders, First by camera, then by date.  But this can also be used in a catalog workflow to.

You may also need to just totally uninstall the app, and reload it.  P1 has instructions for both Mac and PC, as by just un-installing the app, you won't remove all the instances of it in the registry, (on win).  Mac also has a few things that need to be checked. 

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

pemihan

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 05:08:07 pm »

Quick question, you say one big session.  I use sessions also, but open raws by folder, i.e. each shoot is in a separate folder so C1 creates a new cache folder for each location.  Each time you point to a new folder C1 will create the preview cache info in a "capture one" folder under that same location. Are you putting all your files in one single location?  and then using C1?  That may be an issue for a session type work flow not sure.

I keep raws on Mac or PC in separate folders, First by camera, then by date.  But this can also be used in a catalog workflow to.

You may also need to just totally uninstall the app, and reload it.  P1 has instructions for both Mac and PC, as by just un-installing the app, you won't remove all the instances of it in the registry, (on win).  Mac also has a few things that need to be checked. 

Paul Caldwell

Paul, my files are organized in separate folders eg. one folder for each year, project, travel etc. Capture One has created cache folders inside each folder as you describe.

Yeah might try to do a totally uninstall. But it is strange that when creating a test user on my machine it runs pretty smoothly.

Peter

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 11:58:33 pm »

Dude, I have a system really similar to yours:

2012 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

The catalog is on an SSD internal and the actual photos are on an HDD, internal as well.

I only use Sessions on a "per shoot" basis, then move them to the main catalog once I'm done editing.

My editing in sessions is smooth with little to no performance issues. Also, I have little issues with the catalog, even if editing.

Now one thing I do that may help is that I removed the "filters" tool. It will slow things down a bit.

pemihan

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 10:43:45 am »

Thanks Jimmy, I'll give the Filter removal a try..

Peter

pemihan

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 03:12:54 am »

Quick update,  I completely uninstalled C1 as described here: https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=1167 and after reinstalling the app everything runs much more smoothly now.

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up