Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPhone X Portrait Lighting  (Read 2320 times)

Jonathan Cross

iPhone X Portrait Lighting
« on: September 14, 2017, 04:24:26 am »

I see that the iPhone X will have 'Portrait Lighting'  to simulate various studio lighting effects.  Is there any way that similar can be done in post processing (I use Lightroom)?

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

TommyWeir

Re: iPhone X Portrait Lighting
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 10:32:03 am »

It's all speculation until they land in people's hands, but the new lighting schemes are a form of computational photography which seem on first glance to move beyond what an adjustment in LR or C1 might entail. They require the two cameras and as such are mapping depth into the picture, that layer of data is missing from a regular photograph, this depth map permits the modelling of the light they do.

Would be an interesting technology to see added to 'proper cameras', a depth map provided by a small additional sensor and lens.

Might be able to emulate the effect with a series of effects done in PS layered upon each other perhaps, certainly non-trivial. On my brief viewing overall they looked heavy handed, but there may be a way to moderate them.

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 11:06:45 am »

It's all speculation until they land in people's hands, but the new lighting schemes are a form of computational photography which seem on first glance to move beyond what an adjustment in LR or C1 might entail. They require the two cameras and as such are mapping depth into the picture, that layer of data is missing from a regular photograph, this depth map permits the modelling of the light they do.

Would be an interesting technology to see added to 'proper cameras', a depth map provided by a small additional sensor and lens.

Might be able to emulate the effect with a series of effects done in PS layered upon each other perhaps, certainly non-trivial. On my brief viewing overall they looked heavy handed, but there may be a way to moderate them.
I believe this technology is used by Hollywood to create much of the special effects we now see in films and television. I recently watched the TV show Penny Dreadful, and was amazed at the recreation of old London. Authenticity aside, the recreations were fantastic. It won't be surprising if this tech is soon implemented in some form within post processing applications. And as you suggest, in cameras as well, re-defining HDR, or how 'bout "high dynamic mapping." Combined with 3D imaging, the creative possibilities just might introduce a new craft at the personal level.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 11:45:42 am »

Is there any way that similar can be done in post processing (I use Lightroom)?
Certainly! Selective dodging and burning is not 'relighting' the scene.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 04:33:15 pm »

You need some sort of content aware fill to remove specular highlights (e.g. catchlights).

Notably, the iPhone X doesn't seem to do that. It is notable, I think, that their example pictures mostly lack catchlights, and the one I found that had small ones, the phone did not move them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up