Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Lens Quality Issues  (Read 4452 times)

trigeek

Canon Lens Quality Issues
« on: September 06, 2006, 09:22:56 pm »

I am in the market for a Canon 24-70 F2.8 lens. Reading a some of forums and reviews, I see a lot of references to people getting a "bad copy". I have also seen these comments posted for other lenses as well (17-40, 24-105). I was wondering about the validity of the complaints as I have a hard time believing that Canon has that big of a QC problem on their hands.  Is this just an issue of people blaming their equipment for their unhappiness of their images, or is there some kind of documented issue out there.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 09:23:18 pm by trigeek »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 11:50:51 pm »

Bad copies happen.  What happens far more often is paranoid people performing flawed lens tests.

macgyver

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 12:11:18 am »

Never drink and then test you lens.

Also, never throw your lens at the neighbor's cat.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 12:22:34 am »

Depends on the lens.  And the cat.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 04:28:02 am »

I am in the market for a Canon 24-70 F2.8 lens. Reading a some of forums and reviews, I see a lot of references to people getting a "bad copy". [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75739\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You might want to consider also the older 28-70 f2.8, I remember this lens to have received very good reviews when it was released.

Cheers,
Bernard

61Dynamic

• http://
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 01:10:12 pm »

You might want to consider also the older 28-70 f2.8, I remember this lens to have received very good reviews when it was released.

Cheers,
Bernard
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The older copies of the 24-70mm f/2.8L do not perform nearly as well as the newer rendition. Michael did a [a href=\"http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/24-70-review.shtml]comparison of them[/url] some time ago.

fnagy

• www.franknagyphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 09:13:31 pm »

I have recently purchased four L lenses, and was very satisfied with the results I was getting, when I read all the complaints, I started to question myself and did some testing, not very scientific, but based on the type of work that I do and what I want from each lens all checked out honky dory and all performed as expected.  

The flaws I started seeing and experiencing seemed to more operator error than camera or lens deficiency.  We seem to forget that routine maintenance is still a key to good performance, (self and equipment), the one lock up I had with the 70-200 was cured with a good and thorough cleaning of the contact points.

Maybe I had horse shoes you know where?
Love & Peace
Frank

AdrianW

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 02:45:28 pm »

I also wonder how many of these "bad" lenses were actually used as footballs by the postal/courier services... Remember a hard jolt can knock elements out of alignment, and if you've ever seen postal/courier companies at work you'll begin to consider buying locally ;)

I still remember watching in fascination/horror at a local railway station when Red Star Parcels were loading a train with packages. They'd pick them up from one side of the platform and sling them into the mail carriage using the cage to "catch" them. Occasionally I'd hear the sound of breaking glass, or they'd miss the opening completely...

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 04:32:09 pm »

Well, I've owned two, rented two and borrowed one, they were all pin sharp wide open. My second one has a slight back focus and is with CPS at present being tuned.
Pages: [1]   Go Up