Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 belt snapped  (Read 2415 times)

CrazyPugLady

Epson 7900 belt snapped
« on: September 13, 2017, 06:21:30 am »

Hello folks,

I seem to have bad luck with printers  >:(

The carrier belt of my Epson 7900 just snapped while printing. I have already ordered a replacement, but it will take a week. I have pushed the print head back to the right, where the capping station is, then turned the printer off. Now, the question is: The head seems to be unlocked, is this right? If I turn it on now, will it lower and lock the head (like on a 4900) or should I NOT turn it on and leave it like it is? All i want is to keep the nozzles from clogging for this coming week, so I don't screw the print head.

Thank you!

Kind regards,
the pug lady

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Epson 7900 belt snapped
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 11:48:26 am »

Not sure if the head will cap properly without the belt so it will be able to align itself correctly.

If it were me, I think my option would be to leave it on so maybe the ink lines would stay pressurized, but maybe that doesn't  work either because it fails startup sequences?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:42:23 pm by Wayne Fox »

CrazyPugLady

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 03:26:52 am »

So I decided to open the printer up yesterday, and noticed that the belt didn't snap itself, the plastic connector that keeps it together, broke in the middle.
I glued it together with superglue and put it back. Now the printer does start up without an error, the normal startup procedure is fine, but whenever I try to put paper into it, it stalls in the middle and reports a paper jam. Which, of course, is not true. Now I'm not sure what to do. The CR motor seems good. The CR belt is (currently) good, the replacement in on the way. Could it be a problem with the CR sensor? The CR encoder strip is clean and firm.

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 07:49:56 pm »

The belt won't be the right tension - you need a new one and you need to make sure it's at the right tension (using a sonic tension meter).  At least your machine should cap properly in the meantime.
Phil Brown

CrazyPugLady

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 05:45:51 am »

Really, it needs to be at a super exact tension? The service manual doesn't state that  :o

But yes, at least the head is now correctly parked and capped, as it needs to be. I'll get the new belt next week and have a service dude take a look (ouch, my wallet...).

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 12:42:10 am »

Well, it has to be pretty right, otherwise you'll have vibrations or slippage.  Really, any belt in any system should be correctly adjusted.  The sonic tension meter is one of the best ways of doing that.
Phil Brown

CrazyPugLady

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 01:58:07 pm »

Well, I think the Epson is not that picky. It has a screw where the tension can be adjusted. I took my 4900 as a reference and the carriage is sliding again. The Error now seems to point to the encoder sensor, it might have been hit by the snapping belt. I guess I'll order a replacement and see what it does.

CrazyPugLady

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 06:20:58 am »

Well, after exactly 2 months, I can proudly say that the machine is back :-)

It took quite a while to get the needed parts and I replaced the pulley unit with the belt and holder, as well as the encoder (which was the thing that wrongly reported a paper jam and stuff). I also ordered the Epson grease the service manual recommends for the carrier part.

Farmer, You are right, Epson recommends measuring and adjusting the belt tension with a sonic meter. I found it in the service manual, page 364 - 367. As I don't own one, I searched and found some iPhone app that provides similar functions. Sure, not as precise as an industry tool, but it does the job. You need to measure and weight the belt for it, the span is listed in the manual. I measured the old belt but I guess that's ok. The app spat out a tension of 46.6N (33 hz frequency), the manual states a value of 45N ± 3N so I hope it will be fine.

So far, the prints look good. The head survived the 2 month standing period just fine, what a relief.

Now I wonder how often I need to grease that printer....

Pages: [1]   Go Up