Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Goodbye pocket cameras hello iPhone X  (Read 8315 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Goodbye pocket cameras hello iPhone X
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2017, 11:05:52 pm »

What's new?  ;)

Yes and no.

The expansion of creativity should be considered from the angle of removing mental blocks along some of the multiple dimensions that photographers can play with.

New camera capabilities such as an orientable screen can help experiment and therefore improve.

Cheers,
Bernard

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 06:17:17 am »

I will be preordering my iPhone X as soon as preorders begin.

Hooray!

Regards,
Bud James

www.budjames.photography
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

NancyP

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 09:17:44 pm »

Now here's a minor question for phone camera enthusiasts - how do you carry your phone? Mine lives in my pocket (Apple 6SE, stays in an aftermarket waterproof nuud case), and the lens is always dusty. I try to clean it if I am going to be shooting with it, but it is not pristine most of the time. Do you phone camera fans use belt holsters, or what? Are you also faced with needing to clean the phone from fingerprints and dust?

Telecaster

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2017, 11:26:57 pm »

Nancy, I keep my phone in shirt and pants pockets, or resting on various surfaces, and make no particular effort to keep the lens clean. It stays pretty clean despite this.  :)  The phone has a red leather skin "case" that covers the back & sides…don't remember the maker (could be Apple). This shields the lens quite well despite its thinness. Every so often I'll notice a bit of whatever on the glass cover and will then swab it with a Q-Tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. Still no lens scratches after four years!

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2017, 05:42:11 am »

Nancy, I keep my phone in shirt and pants pockets, or resting on various surfaces, and make no particular effort to keep the lens clean. It stays pretty clean despite this.  :)  The phone has a red leather skin "case" that covers the back & sides…don't remember the maker (could be Apple). This shields the lens quite well despite its thinness. Every so often I'll notice a bit of whatever on the glass cover and will then swab it with a Q-Tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. Still no lens scratches after four years!

-Dave-

Thank the grade of alcohol you're using; a light dab with some Gordon's Gin on a pristine napkin works wonders. (Only pre- the ice and tonic.)

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2017, 03:17:01 pm »

Thank the grade of alcohol you're using; a light dab with some Gordon's Gin on a pristine napkin works wonders. (Only pre- the ice and tonic.)

Still have some of The Glenrothes I bought last year in honor of Michael.  :)  (Though less than in the attached photo.) [Edit: I remembered last night, while treating myself to a "wee nip," that the bottle of The Glenrothes I currently have is a second one, having finished Michael's late last year.]

-Dave-
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 09:24:46 pm by Telecaster »

BJL

Goodbye pocket camera and cheap laptop and PDA and ... , hello iPhone X
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2017, 03:52:56 pm »

So I think the Iphone now costs more than the new replacement price of my K3.
Photographic and video features are amongst the marketing points for high-end phones, but are far from everything that ones gets for the price. For one thing, recent testing suggests that the A11 processor in all this year's iPhone models is faster than many entry level laptop processors from just a few years ago. So maybe price comparisons should be smart-phone vs:

cheap basic laptop — for those whose personal use is mostly "communication": web browsing, email, photo-video viewing and minor tweaking, Skype or other video chat tools, simple note-taking and check lists with apps like Apple's Notes and Reminders or Microsoft's OneNote.
plus
basic compact camera — for those who just do snap shots and simple video clips.
plus
PDA (remember those?)
plus
basic mobile phone — one that just does phone calls and text messages (the cheapest part of the kit!)

I wonder if there will soon be a market for smart-phone docking solutions (wireless?) to replace low-end home computers: connect wirelessly to a large screen and full keyboard, along with cloud storage etc.

NancyP

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2017, 05:34:34 pm »

I am impressed with the quality of lens cleaning fluid some people use!  ;D 
 I just wipe off the phone lens at work, using the microscope cleaning fluid and lens paper. It doesn't much matter - back into the pocket - dusty in minutes. A local naturalist and amateur photographer did have a good phone tip. Get that bug's eye view (and the bug in the scene), because the phone lens axis can be just 1 cm from the ground surface.

scooby70

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2017, 05:44:56 am »

I don't use mobile phones often. I try to remember to put mine in my pocket for emergencies but I can go months without using it to make a call. The camera on mine is pretty poor though and I've been thinking about buying a new one just to get a better camera so I recently had a play with a family members new smartphone and it looks good... but it's so much bigger and heavier than my phone that I started to question if I want to carry something that big and heavy.

I didn't like moving to a smartphone when my old style mobile died, that old style non smartphone fitted in my trouser pocket but the smartphone needs to be in my jacket pocket and moving to a newer bigger again phone seems a step too far, I might as well carry a compact camera.

Don't people care that smartphones are now the size of a small tablet computer?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2017, 07:10:29 am »

iPhone 6SE is very capable, yet it is relatively small - 123.8 mm / 4.87 inches) by 58.6 mm / 2.31 inches

BJL

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2017, 02:05:39 pm »

Good small smart phones are an underserved market sector! Samsung has had some, but not offered in North America, and I think no longer updated. Apple has the smaller SE, but with lower specs than it could have, and past due for an update.

Telecaster

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2017, 03:28:25 pm »

One reason I've kept my 5s so long is its size. It's small. Fits in any pants/shirt/jacket pocket. The 8+ will take some getting used to in this respect, though my aging eyes will appreciate the larger display.

I don't even think of these things as "phones." They're pocket whiz-bang do-it-alls. Wherever I go (outside of my house) mine goes with me.

-Dave-

BJL

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2017, 04:03:51 pm »

One reason I've kept my 5s so long is its size. It's small. Fits in any pants/shirt/jacket pocket. The 8+ will take some getting used to in this respect . . .
I worried about that, but succumbed to a 6s, and at 138x67mm (5.44" x 2.64") it still fits easily in all my front pants pockets, and the iPhone 8 is essentially the same size. And weirdly the X is a bit smaller than the 8+ at 144x71mm, so would probably fit too. The worse problem is ergonomics: it is harder to reach all of the screen with my thumb without adjusting my grip, so I more often need to use two hands. And the ones that I see dangling more than half out of back pockets scare me.

. . . though my aging eyes will appreciate the larger display.
Yes, that's the other side of the quandary for me when considering phone size!

NancyP

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2017, 07:47:45 pm »

Yes, there is a market out there for phones for people with small hands or small pockets. A year ago I decided that the iPhone 4 was elderly enough to retire, and got the best newish small phone, which was the 6SE. Many of my M.D. peers who can well afford to drop 800 bucks on a phone just happen to like their old 5/6SE - sized phones.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2017, 09:02:23 pm »

Regarding the specific title of the thread.

This happened years ago.  Pocket cameras are already pretty much dead and have been for years. Those that buy them do so because the phone in their camera isn't enough.  Those buyers are few and far between, and while they may continue to decline, the trend is due to all camera phones getting better.

I own a camera store.  We used to have two tables with 10 different models each on them.  We stopped selling them 3 years ago.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up