Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple help needed  (Read 5459 times)

Khurram

Apple help needed
« on: September 06, 2006, 08:28:44 pm »

I finally picked up my Macbook Pro.  I Decided to over-extend my budget a bit (ok a lot!!!), and got the 17inch MacBook Pro.

Well, I havent' used an apple since my junior high days using a Apple IIE/c??

I'd appreciate some advice or guidance on useful reference material getting comfortable using the Mac. Having trouble with the simplest things - i.e. increasing the size of my safari explorer.

also appreicate some advice on how things like transferring my boomarks from explorer safari.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
Apple help needed
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 08:36:01 pm »

I finally picked up my Macbook Pro.  I Decided to over-extend my budget a bit (ok a lot!!!), and got the 17inch MacBook Pro.

I'd appreciate some advice or guidance on useful reference material getting comfortable using the Mac. Having trouble with the simplest things - i.e. increasing the size of my safari explorer.

also appreicate some advice on how things like transferring my boomarks from explorer safari.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75734\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Welcome to the Side of Light, Truth, and Wisdom.  You'll not regret your choice.

"OS X The Missing Manual: Tiger Edition" is highly recommended. It should tell you how to transfer your explorer bookmarks, though I bet you can Google that. It's been so long I can't remember how I did it during my initial Enlightenment.

I'm coming up on 4 years with my dual G4 Power Mac 1.42 GHz system, and it's groaning. Budget director says she gets a new deck before I get a new Mac...and she makes the rules in this house.
michael sebast

ddolde

Apple help needed
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 09:07:35 pm »

...and she makes the rules in this house.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75735\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How sad !  I'd not admit that myself.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Apple help needed
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 09:09:21 pm »

Welcome to the Side of Light, Truth, and Wisdom.  You'll not regret your choice.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75735\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Be careful, Khurram. It sounds to me as if you may be getting into one of those crazy cults.    

I hope you at least asked the Great Guru Bil Gates' permission before going over to the Dark Side.  
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

mbutler

Apple help needed
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 09:56:48 pm »

I'd second the Missing Manual Suggestion. David Pogue is great. He's also got a boook called Switching to the Mac. I got frustrated trying to create a book with Appple, because they tell you next to nothing, but Pogue's iphoto 6 book was invaluable there, too. While I was writing this, Apple just sent me an e-mail about their new 24-inch iMac. The beat goes on.

Khurram

Apple help needed
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 11:00:28 pm »

Appreciate the suggestion - i think i'll check out the suggested books by David Pogue.

the trick will be trying to digest it all b4 i leave for the southwest on Sept 12 and have limited time b4 then, as i'm scambling to wrap up things at work.  I may end up having to make do with what i can figure out and then do the reading when i come back.

btw, the wife is still flipped out that i spent $3k on a laptop after setting a budget of $1.5k
----

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
Apple help needed
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 12:09:39 am »

If you are using CS2 remember that it is not intel native.  For me, that means that bridge will freeze about 50% of the time when I quit it.  About a week after I got my MacBook Pro, OSX stopped working all together.  Bring the MacBook Pro Install disc and the CS2 install discs with you on your trip.  Sometimes an "archive and install" from the original system discs will fix Mac problems.  This may not apply to you, because the source of my problems was using an install feature that transfered all of my accounts and info from an older G4 powerbook.  But because you will be installing lots of apps over the next few days, it may be smart to bring those discs incase things don't work out.

-Eric

francois

Apple help needed
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 02:29:16 am »

Congrats for your new MacBook Pro!
In addition to others excellent recommendations I would add that you may find basic but valuable information on Apple Switch 101 web site (here). Apple also has a page called Move2Mac with some a piece a software supposed to help you move things from your PC to your new MacBook Pro (here). MacWindows. com (here) also has good info. And finally some more info about switching from PC to Mac on Tao of Mac web site (here).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 02:33:37 am by francois »
Francois

Khurram

Apple help needed
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 09:08:41 am »

Congrats for your new MacBook Pro!
In addition to others excellent recommendations I would add that you may find basic but valuable information on Apple Switch 101 web site (here). Apple also has a page called Move2Mac with some a piece a software supposed to help you move things from your PC to your new MacBook Pro (here). MacWindows. com (here) also has good info. And finally some more info about switching from PC to Mac on Tao of Mac web site (here).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75764\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Francois,
Thanks again for the usual great advice and helpful links!!

I've got one other question.  I'm thinking of picking up Elements 4 (mac version) - i pretty much blow my budget on the laptop, so will not be getting CS2.

Do you know what functionality is available with Elements 4 vs. Photoshop 7 and CS2.

Do you know if the PS ELements 4 (mac version) will work ok (have read of issues with CS2)??  I guess what I want to know is what will i be missing with Elements 4 from CS2?
----

mbutler

Apple help needed
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 11:51:06 am »

elements 4 is pretty decent. Good raw conversion. It includes Bridge for organizing things. You can't do much in 16 bit, but just about everything else is there in 8-bit except curves.

francois

Apple help needed
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 11:53:33 am »

Francois,
Thanks again for the usual great advice and helpful links!!

I've got one other question.  I'm thinking of picking up Elements 4 (mac version) - i pretty much blow my budget on the laptop, so will not be getting CS2.

Do you know what functionality is available with Elements 4 vs. Photoshop 7 and CS2.

Do you know if the PS ELements 4 (mac version) will work ok (have read of issues with CS2)??  I guess what I want to know is what will i be missing with Elements 4 from CS2?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75778\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Unfortunately, I have virtually no experience with Photoshop Elements 4, so others are welcome to give their advices. FWIW, PS Element 4 doesn't run natively on your MacBook Pro.
One thing you can do is download the beta version of Lightroom. It's a universal binary application (works natively on both PowerPC and Intel Macs) and it's free (your spouse will love this!) until the final version is released later at an unspecified date. It will provide you with an excellent RAW converter and global image manipulations.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 11:56:02 am by francois »
Francois

Khurram

Apple help needed
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 01:05:41 pm »

Unfortunately, I have virtually no experience with Photoshop Elements 4, so others are welcome to give their advices. FWIW, PS Element 4 doesn't run natively on your MacBook Pro.
One thing you can do is download the beta version of Lightroom. It's a universal binary application (works natively on both PowerPC and Intel Macs) and it's free (your spouse will love this!) until the final version is released later at an unspecified date. It will provide you with an excellent RAW converter and global image manipulations.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75794\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Great that sounds like an expense i can handle  
is this a download from the adobe site?
----

francois

Apple help needed
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 02:53:27 pm »

Great that sounds like an expense i can handle  
is this a download from the adobe site?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Lightroom is available from Adobe Labs web site [a href=\"https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs%5Flightroom]here[/url]. You'll need to register but everything is free.

Ther's also a few video tutorials available on Adobe web site but I'm not iusing my own computer new and have no access to my bookmarks. If you don't find the tuts, I'll try to give you the links tomorrow.
Francois

claskin

Apple help needed
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 11:29:57 am »

I finally picked up my Macbook Pro.  I Decided to over-extend my budget a bit (ok a lot!!!), and got the 17inch MacBook Pro.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75734\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

One of the switching to Mac books either by Pogue or one by Scott Kelby would be very helpful. Get the edition that is written about the version of OS X that you own. The switching books are not always released with a current OS but the Missing Manual series is current. When I started using Macs (and continued with Windows) I was like a fish out of water moving from Windows. Macs are intuitive provided you have never used a computer before. If you have been a Windows user, you will find yourself paralyzed at times until you get used to it.

Carl
Carl Laskin

Andy M

• http://
Apple help needed
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 12:57:44 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up