Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cambo miniwide  (Read 4500 times)

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
cambo miniwide
« on: September 06, 2006, 08:02:48 pm »

anyone with experience with the cambo miniwide ?
what are the lenses that can be used to cover more than
36mm by 24mm

and how do you focus ? guesstimate ?

cheers
rgs
rueyloon

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
cambo miniwide
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 03:08:29 am »

This looks like a good product - I havnt seen or tested.

I have been testing Nikon lenses on a 22mp chip though

You get a pretty good image circle with lenses like MF24, 20-35 zoom

the 14 looks like a smaller image circle

the 28 shift looks very  hopeful too

The image circles look supprisingly big

Ultimately the size of the image circle is somewhat defined by your own quality expectations and PS fixing skills as the lense will darken at the edges and at some point become unaccepable to you

My testing was not accurate enough to be aware of CA but the retrofocus design of Nikkors should help with some of the problems of the light hitting the chip at obtuse angles

I do know that a copal 1 shutter restricts the view massively so for a larger chip you would need the copal 3 version

I still think the copal 3 shutter will restrict the image circle judging by the size of it (drawings at SKgrimes site)

The Cambos site talks about 17mp back with the copal 3 version

My own experiments would back this up as the sort of coverage to expect

-------------

THe options of a (wider than) 28 shift a (wider than) 14 on about 15-17mp (off a 22mp back) without going the super expensive Alpa route seem very exciting to me - I already own all the glass

------------

Yes you would focus by guess but pretty easy checking the back (or tethered) if shooting f8 or there abouts
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

rueyloon

cambo miniwide
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 05:00:36 am »

thanks for the reply, I'm considering this as an alternative to the Cambo Wide DS, if the image
circle can cover say, a 36 by 36 sensor such as the Imacon CFV this might came in very useful.

of course, if it can cover, 48 by 36 that would be great.... can the nikon lenses do that ?
If it can work with the 28mm nikkor for shift, this can be a stop gap architecture camera... hmm....

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
cambo miniwide
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 01:41:39 pm »

The advantage of the Wide DS is it has shift

basically if you can afford the lenses and the 28 becomes available and has a decent image circle that will ultimately be better

My observations as I said is that some nikkors cover a pretty big area of my 22mp chip

I would say a 24 would cover a square chip

the 28 not shifted will definitaly do it 'in spec'

It is the very wide 14/15 that doint have the coverage as they are heavily shaded to avoid internal flare with thier 'flags' behind the back element and sculptured lense hoods

Even if you only get a 14 mb file from a 'proper back' the bit depth will probably make it far superior to a dslr image

The bit I dont know is how much vignetting the copal 3 shutter causes

My test rig has no shutter

rueyloon

cambo miniwide
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 07:22:29 am »

I'm curious, what's your test rig ?

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
cambo miniwide
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 11:22:20 am »

I'm curious, what's your test rig ?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75913\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Basically i have a full sinar P with a Linhof sliding back adapter which interfaces with my Eylike H1 fitting back (which is a good place to start !)

I have removed the sinar front standard and made a 'custom lense board' that accepts a nikon lense

(mounting from an old FM2)

this lenseboard is attached into the front of the rear standard of the Sinar

The lensboard is 'shimmed' (has a pile of washers) to get the correct lense to chip distance

rueyloon

cambo miniwide
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 11:44:41 am »

Basically i have a full sinar P with a Linhof sliding back adapter which interfaces with my Eylike H1 fitting back (which is a good place to start !)

I have removed the sinar front standard and made a 'custom lense board' that accepts a nikon lense

(mounting from an old FM2)

this lenseboard is attached into the front of the rear standard of the Sinar

The lensboard is 'shimmed' (has a pile of washers) to get the correct lense to chip distance
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75922\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ahh... that's great !
maybe it might be easier to just get SKgrimes to make such a contraption. Nikkor mount infront, and a digital back mount at the back.

The problem is I'm using a pro back on a mamiya now, and I can't find a way to trigger the pro back. So I'm looking at getting everything replaced if I go this route..... :|
Pages: [1]   Go Up