Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tennessee Appalachians  (Read 3625 times)

abrehm

Tennessee Appalachians
« on: September 06, 2006, 12:57:11 pm »

I will be in eastern Tennessee September 27-October 2 for a wedding but will have some time to make some side trips for photography.  I will mainly be around Kingsport and I am looking for good locations to shoot the Appalachians hopefully with some fall color.  I don't have the time to make any camping trips out of it and will probably be limited to car travel or very short hikes.  I have never visited the area so I am very unfamiliar with it and was wondering if there were any of you out there that could suggest some good locations for landscape photography.

Thanks

Andy

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
Tennessee Appalachians
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 01:44:38 pm »

If you drive straight down US 23 out of Kingsport it'll turn into I-26 as it goes into Western NC, and you will quickly hit some absolutely spectacular country.  If you detour over onto NC 209 south of Hot Springs NC (via NC 212), you will find yourself on one of the prettiest (twisty!) drives in the east for about two hours, all the way down to I-40.  (But don't tell anybody!)

You can then take I-40 west to I-81 and back up to 23 to get back to Kingsport a different way, maybe faster maybe not.

There's also some nice country north of Kingsport especially up around Wise and Big Stone Gap, VA, but that NC 209 drive made me laugh out loud for sheer joy.

Unlikely the leaves will be turning by then though, unless we get an unusually early cold snap.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 01:45:29 pm by Nill Toulme »

abrehm

Tennessee Appalachians
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 11:47:32 pm »

Nill thanks for the advise.  I was wondering if it would be a bit too early for fall color there.  I am kinda bummed actually that I will be there that time of year.  I live in Utah so I am used to fall color happening a bit earlier than out east.  As it turns out I will be leaving the west to head east when the west will most likely be in peak color (location dependant of course).  Oh well, I guess I can wait till next year, but I may get lucky for this year yet as it color seem to be a bit early this year!

andy

If you drive straight down US 23 out of Kingsport it'll turn into I-26 as it goes into Western NC, and you will quickly hit some absolutely spectacular country.  If you detour over onto NC 209 south of Hot Springs NC (via NC 212), you will find yourself on one of the prettiest (twisty!) drives in the east for about two hours, all the way down to I-40.  (But don't tell anybody!)

You can then take I-40 west to I-81 and back up to 23 to get back to Kingsport a different way, maybe faster maybe not.

There's also some nice country north of Kingsport especially up around Wise and Big Stone Gap, VA, but that NC 209 drive made me laugh out loud for sheer joy.

Unlikely the leaves will be turning by then though, unless we get an unusually early cold snap.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75706\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up