Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pro Trekker AW II & Photo Trekker AW II  (Read 3602 times)

Mickey Mouse

Pro Trekker AW II & Photo Trekker AW II
« on: September 06, 2006, 12:26:19 pm »

*** Additional Question ***
Has anyone ever tried putting any type of hydration pack in one of the Trekker AW bags?  If so, what did you use and how did it work out?  Thanks!

I am interested in getting some feedback on the LowePro Pro Trekker AW II and the Photo Trekker AW II backpacks.  While not new to the photography scene, I am just getting around to looking at large backpacks to hold all of my equipment (dead tired of a micro trekker combined with shoulder bags and waist bags).  

The primary purpose of the backpack would be to use it for out and back day trips (no tent or sleeping bag required) in which I could have anywhere from 1- 4 days of consecutive hikes of various lengths.  Most the time it would probably be 2 consecutive days, or a few days with a break in between.

I am not a large person by any means, weighing in at a whopping 140 pounds, a towering height of 5' 6", slim build, and at least average to above average in terms of being in shape.  

My equipment consists of the following:

Canon 30D Body with Vertical Grip/Battery Holder
Canon A2E Body
Tamron 28-200 f/3.8-5.6
Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4
Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L USM
Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L USM
Canon EF 300 f/4.0L USM
Canon 2x Pro Teleconverter
Tamron 1.4x Teleconverter
Canon 580 EX Flash
Canon 550 EX Flash
Tripod
Other Accessories: Filters, Extra Batteries, Film, Compact Flash
Future Accessories: Portable Hard Drive, battery pack

I have never gone backpacking with a heavy load before and have never used the type of pack that correctly distributes the weight down onto the hips.  My concerns are the size of the pack and the overall weight for someone that is small.  It goes without saying (although I am going to anyway) that comfort and reduction in back & shoulder strain are important.

Any insights & advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!  
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 12:48:56 pm by Mickey Mouse »
Mickey Mouse

matt4626

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 01:58:43 pm »

The Photo Trekker should hold all your gear. It is a big pack. The Pro is a HUGE pack.

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 02:08:08 pm »

Actually I have used both (and still have them).

The best pack (for fit and comfort) for me is the Pro Trekker.  Great feel, but it weights about 6 lbs by itself.  Also because of the extra space I would tend to fill all the slots with all my stuff.  I think at one time I carried a 4x5 and 645 system (with lenses) in this case  (about 40lbs or more).

I have decided that carrying all that weight wasn't much fun, especially on long hikes or up hill.
I now use the Mini Trekker and figure I don't need anything more than it will hold  (honestly though I sometime ship more stuff in my Pelican case for a trip and swap things in and out).

The best part of the Pro Trekker is it is deep enough that most of my lenses will fit in the slot vertically and be properly padded for protection.

I could open a small bag store for all the stuff I have accumulated.  Always searching for the best one out there.

Good luck

rvanr

• http://www.vanruitenbeek.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 03:19:56 am »

Yes, it will hold all your gear for day trips. Going out for the day you will be able to take all your stuff and have a little bit of space for water and a sandwich. Apart from a good rucksack you will also definitely need a good level of fitness, but what you right about yourself addresses that.  Have a look at my website for a short review of the Lowe Pro Photo Trekker AW II

Ruud

Mickey Mouse

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 08:50:39 am »

Actually I have used both (and still have them).

The best pack (for fit and comfort) for me is the Pro Trekker.  Great feel, but it weights about 6 lbs by itself.  Also because of the extra space I would tend to fill all the slots with all my stuff.  I think at one time I carried a 4x5 and 645 system (with lenses) in this case  (about 40lbs or more).

I have decided that carrying all that weight wasn't much fun, especially on long hikes or up hill.
I now use the Mini Trekker and figure I don't need anything more than it will hold  (honestly though I sometime ship more stuff in my Pelican case for a trip and swap things in and out).

The best part of the Pro Trekker is it is deep enough that most of my lenses will fit in the slot vertically and be properly padded for protection.

I could open a small bag store for all the stuff I have accumulated.  Always searching for the best one out there.

Good luck
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75709\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks!  I have actually considered doing something similar to what you are currently doing; using a large pack (Pro/Photo Trekker) when necessary, and looking into a smaller pack like a Mini Trekker when I know I will not use all the equipment.  The Micro Trekker that I have could work in some situations, but you have to be pretty selective in what you bring when using this.
Mickey Mouse

Mickey Mouse

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 09:28:43 am »

Yes, it will hold all your gear for day trips. Going out for the day you will be able to take all your stuff and have a little bit of space for water and a sandwich. Apart from a good rucksack you will also definitely need a good level of fitness, but what you right about yourself addresses that.  Have a look at my website for a short review of the Lowe Pro Photo Trekker AW II

Ruud
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75767\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the info.  I did get the chance to previously look at your site and the review you have for the Photo Trekker.  Found it useful now, and as I was narrowing down what to look at more closely.
Mickey Mouse

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 05:47:26 am »

I have the Trekker AW II, and it's my favorite photo pack. It holds my 1Ds, 1D-MkII, 7 lenses (70-200/2.8L IS, 35-350L, 24-70/2.8L, 17-40/4L, 135/2L, 100/2, and 50/1.8) 2 550EX flashes, 2 420EX flashes, 32 AA batteries, 2 NP-E3 batteries, and a bunch of miscellaneous other things like memory cards, remote shutter release, CP filters, sensor cleaning supplies, mini Color Checker, etc. It weighs a bit over 40lbs fully loaded, but it's comfortable enough that I've walked around with it on my back all day while shooting. You can put a 3-liter Camelbak reservoir in the lid pocket if you want, but that will add about 8 lbs to the load. It's definitely sufficient for day hikes, but you may not want to fully load it if you're walking long distances or climbing hills. It's great if you want to carry your entire photo kit somewhere and want to put it all in one durable, well-padded, easy-to-carry pack. Two thumbs up.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 05:49:19 am by Jonathan Wienke »

Mickey Mouse

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 07:36:54 am »

Thanks to those that have supplied info thus far!

Last week I went out and purchased the Photo Trekker to see what it felt like.  Luckily I have a good relationship with one of the local camera stores and I can easily swap bags until I find the right one.  I am going to exchange the Photo Trekker in for the Nature Trekker to see how that feels.  With the ability to easily add lens cases to the side of these bags, if I need more, I can add it to the side.

I did find out one thing as to comfort.  My friend has the Mini Trekker and I tried his on with his equipment loaded into it and was able to compare it to the Photo Trekker.  I had at least 50% more weight in my bag than what he had loaded into the Mini Trekker.  Guess which one felt better & lighter? Yeah, you might have guessed, the Photo Trekker.  However, for those not used to a heavy load, just because it feels better on the back, and is more comfortable, it is still allot of added weight for the legs to carry.

For those unhappy with the lack of outside pockets on the Trekker series, I have a little creative project I am going to try that may help that problem.  Once I decide on the bag, I will give my idea a try and post the result.
Mickey Mouse
Pages: [1]   Go Up