Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best MF system for both digital and film  (Read 2649 times)

EinstStein

Best MF system for both digital and film
« on: September 07, 2017, 09:53:59 pm »

Which MF system you'd vote to be the best for both digital and film? including new and discontinued systems.

Fujifilm GX680 came to my mind as one of the best MF film system, but using digital back on it sucks. The lens system are not suitable for digital back. Similar problem happens on Hasselblad Arc Body.

landscapephoto

Re: Best MF system for both digital and film
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 02:31:48 am »

The H5D and H6D can use a film back. The 60 and 100 mpix version use a sensor of the same size as film. That makes it very easy to work with film and digital: just exchange the back.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 03:31:05 am »

The H5D and H6D can use a film back. The 60 and 100 mpix version use a sensor of the same size as film. That makes it very easy to work with film and digital: just exchange the back.

And the H1, H2, H4x, H5X and H6X accept Hasselblad film and third party backs such as Phase One as does the H3D, the H3DII was closed to third party backs but AFAIK will accept Hasselblad film backs. Note the later digital bodies require current firmware to support the film backs so you may find posts from the time saying they don't accept the film back which could be confusing. Contax 645 also comes to mind but I would vote Hasselblad as still being current and mostly repairable, plentifully available and rental choices almost everywhere.

Rdmax

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 09:05:26 am »

The old V Hasselblad accepts film and digital backs.

Someone else said the H does too, but if you have a digital back, why use film?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 09:51:10 am »

If you're into portrait or weddings the Contax is a nice dual-platform system. We have a page about Contax Hybrid with Phase One.

Normal caveats here about it being a "dead" system meaning the body has not been made in many years and support/repairs on the body/lenses is thinning out. In years past I've shy'd away from recommending it to new users, but having used it at a couple weddings it really is a nice fun hybrid system. Now I throw it into my recommendations to try and just make sure the user understands it's limits (only okay AF compared to modern systems and lack of new bodies and easy repairs being the bigs ones). That 80/2 lens is not the sharpest out there, but it is undeniably interesting and many (most?) would agree it's beautiful wide open.

Joe Towner

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 12:09:40 pm »

In a new system - Hasselblad H is the only one left with a single body solution.  Can be done with a Hass or Phase digital back, but if you get the new orange square lenses, you'll want the Hass back.

You can do a used Pentax 645N & 645Z or pair a 645AFDIII with a XF and share some glass.

In terms of discontinued or cobbled together solutions, I'm a RZ ProIID kinda guy.  Yes, the Hasselblad V & Contax systems are viable, but if I'm going to shoot film, I want an advantage over the digital sensor & the larger negatives would give me that.  Picking up my GX680 yesterday reminds me how unfriendly to handhold it was.
t: @PNWMF

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 11:51:01 am »

Rolleiflex Hy6, Mamiya RZ, Hasselblad V are all candidates.  I like the H platform but you are limited to 645 then.  And if that's okay then there's the contax 645 too.
Rolleiflex USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up