Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fujifilm X-E3  (Read 4675 times)

32BT

• Pictures
Fujifilm X-E3
« on: September 07, 2017, 12:20:37 pm »

Da Beat thinks he just died and went to streetphotographyheaven.

(Until he wakes up and looks into his wallet of course)
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: Fujifilm X-E3
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 02:59:27 pm »

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 03:17:26 pm »

Da Beat thinks he just died and went to streetphotographyheaven.

(Until he wakes up and looks into his wallet of course)

I sometimes look at these cameras with a faint stirring of acquisitve emotion, and then, as rapidy, that vanishes when I consider all that screen-touching stuff that to me is just another goddam nuisance between me and a shot, but that makers believe is a huge plus over what used to be. Right.

Then I think about either of my old Niks - the 200 or 700 - and how easy both are when makng a shot... how everything just, well, fits; oh, and how simple to use without thinking about it. And that fits the way of my mind, too. The one thing I'd change, were it a Nikon option, would be the stupid screen for a real one with a split-image without surrounding tiny prisms.

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 03:42:12 pm »

The one thing I'd change, were it a Nikon option, would be the stupid screen for a real one with a split-image without surrounding tiny prisms.

Gotta be the split-image screen for me too, 'cuz it works more like a rangefinder!

That said, I love EVFs and like the way Fuji does things on their X-series cameras. A small body like the new X-E3 with a 23 or 35mm f/2 lens (roughly 35 or 50mm "equivalent") makes a discreet combo. Fujis f/2 primes are all really nice.

-Dave-

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 04:08:46 pm »

Apparently this has a splitscreen focussing option,  and the touchscreen is merely for setting up the camera, not for the photographic functions which are all available thru controls. But the beautiful thing here is that they managed to reduce the controls to the bare essentials. No 10 thousand buttons to control 20 thousand functions, where the buttons are primarily in the way of normal handholding the camera.

They cleaned up the digital camera into an ergonomic marvel as far as i'm concerned.

This is some brilliant evolution by Fujifilm who seem to put the act of photography first. That's why i will gladly part with my money, not because i have some form of gear acquisition syndrome, but because this type of development will have my vote any day of the week.

Not to mention those lenses...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 05:10:57 pm »

Apparently this has a splitscreen focussing option,  and the touchscreen is merely for setting up the camera, not for the photographic functions which are all available thru controls. But the beautiful thing here is that they managed to reduce the controls to the bare essentials. No 10 thousand buttons to control 20 thousand functions, where the buttons are primarily in the way of normal handholding the camera.

They cleaned up the digital camera into an ergonomic marvel as far as i'm concerned.

This is some brilliant evolution by Fujifilm who seem to put the act of photography first. That's why i will gladly part with my money, not because i have some form of gear acquisition syndrome, but because this type of development will have my vote any day of the week.

Not to mention those lenses...

Just yesterday I saw a short review of a camera that I think was called the Fujifilm X100-F. It looked very like the slightly larger XPro -2 (?). It was also, apparently, a lot less expensive.

Just found this:

http://fujifilm-x.com/es/x-stories/x-series-x100f-by-megan-lewis/

Funny; I did this all too many years ago with Kodachrome for the Hewden/Stuart Group cal; great model to work with:

Split-screen and with - I imagine - my old 4/200mm Nikkor on an F or F2.

Rob
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:16:37 pm by Rob C »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 07:26:23 pm »

Nice image!

Cheers,
Bernard

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 07:57:49 pm »

Split-screen and with - I imagine - my old 4/200mm Nikkor on an F or F2.

Nice image!

It is, indeed.  And I can't imagine why anyone would be overly concerned about which camera and lens you used to shoot it.  The picture speaks for itself.

Nothing wrong with being interested in the machinery; many of us are.  The problem is when we start conflating machinery and photography.  There are edge cases where there may be some correlation between the two, but for the most part the connection is rather tenuous.

(I'm quite pleased with my Fuji-X cameras because I no longer need to lug around a full-frame Nikon and its anchor-weight lenses everywhere I go.  But the real benefit they offer me is ergonomic, not artistic.  And when I don't have either a Fuji or Nikon with me, I'll do the best I can with my cellphone camera rather than miss the shot.)

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 05:55:51 am »

Bernard, Chris - thanks for the kind remarks regarding the photo, but the point of showing it was to do with the lady "ambassador" in the video clip, where she uses the same fabric device. But I certainly wouldn't claim to have originated the idea - it's probably decades older than I am; I just found the coincidence mildly amusing, if in a sort of depressing way.

How does one become an ambassador - can a pensionista become one?

;-)

Rob

Krug

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 10:28:40 am »

Rob, surely we pensionistas should aim higher at full 'Statesman-status' not merely ambassadors - and if we are very lucky our own family/close friends might just be persuaded - if only fleetingly, eh ? 

After all what else is old age good for ??

P.S. it is unnecessary to comment on the image - it is gorgeous.

John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

Telecaster

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 05:20:42 pm »

Apparently this has a splitscreen focussing option…

Yeah, Fuji does an electronic version of coincidence focusing. It works fine but I personally get along better with their straight EVF magnification. Must be a mental hiccup because I love opto-mechanical RF focusing.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 05:34:25 pm »

Funny; I did this all too many years ago with Kodachrome for the Hewden/Stuart Group cal; great model to work with:

Classic pose and lovely photo! I took a not dissimilar one, part of a series, of my friend A decades ago at Hilton Head in South Carolina. She liked to go skinnydipping in the ocean pre-dawn, and decided one morning she wanted a "when I was young and pretty" pic. So I shot a roll, probably Tri-X, and gave it to her.  :)

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 05:15:55 am »

Classic pose and lovely photo! I took a not dissimilar one, part of a series, of my friend A decades ago at Hilton Head in South Carolina. She liked to go skinnydipping in the ocean pre-dawn, and decided one morning she wanted a "when I was young and pretty" pic. So I shot a roll, probably Tri-X, and gave it to her.  :)

-Dave-

?

;-)

Not in my case; a totally professional engagement. Anyway, my wife was helping. Pre-dawn has seldom been my thing; this was late evening, with mind turning to the question of what was to eat.

As aside, the beach still had a few stragglers, and when we finished the shoot - there were two models - the civilians gave us a round of applause... I didn't have the wit to pass around my hat. Oddly enough, that beach has now become a nudist one, and I wouldn't venture there with a camera for anything.

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 03:13:38 pm »

Pre-dawn has seldom been my thing; this was late evening, with mind turning to the question of what was to eat.

I've been a night owl since birth, but A is one of those weirdos who gets by with 5-6 hours of sleep and loves sunrises. I'm fine with a lovely sunrise too, but then I go back to bed for another 3–4 hours.

I think I've mentioned before on LuLa that my then girlfriend Juli took great delight in giving the finger to tourist/voyeur pic-takers with long lenses prowling the clothing-optional beaches of Eilat (southern Israel) c. 1984. She gave a couple of the more obstinate ones quite an earful too. In multiple languages.  :)

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up