Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HD or 4K protector quality compared to slide projector  (Read 5116 times)

John Camp

HD or 4K protector quality compared to slide projector
« on: September 06, 2017, 03:54:32 pm »

I need to get the highest possible definition (sharpness) over a screen of about 4x8 feet (1.2x2.4 meters.) A 4K projector is one expensive possibility, but I've thought about the possibility of sending digital images out to a digital-to-slide conversion service, which promises full resolution conversion, and then projecting with a Kodak slide projector. Which do you think would give the best resolution and the least distortion, after everything is said and done? I'm more interested in sharpness and shape fidelity, than in color fidelity.

Joe Towner

Re: HD or 4K protector quality compared to slide projector
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 10:55:32 pm »

What's the viewing distance from the 4x8 screen?  What projection angle are you using & onto what surface are you projecting?  How many images are you rotating thru?  What ambient lighting are you dealing with?  How long is the installation going to be up? 

A UHD projector should be the easiest / most portable solution, even more so than a 4K tv at that size.  Here's an Optoma that's 4K and under $2k: https://www.projectorpeople.com/Optoma-UHD60-4K-UHD/Projector/41655

t: @PNWMF

John Camp

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 01:51:04 am »

The viewing distance would be anything from four inches to a foot. What I am trying to do is draw highly detailed images onto a 4x8 sheet of white aluminum like DiBond. The problem with standard resolution digital projectors is that when enlarged from 35mm to 4x8 feet, the detail lines are so thick than you can't tell exactly where they are when you are trying to trace them. You're working with a pencil lead and the lines may be as wide as a finger...straight lines I can fake with a ruler, but complex and curved lines are much more difficult without more sharpness. Ambient lighting is whatever I need. I'm not sure even 4K would solve the problem, which is why I was wondering about a slide projector that many actually use the full resolution from a Nikon D800.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 10:27:58 am »

Stay as far away from any DLP projector as you can! Stick with three LCD for images, here's why:

http://www.colorlightoutput.com
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Joe Towner

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 11:46:05 am »

Is there a reason you're doing this by hand?  If you were to take an image, project it onto the DiBond and start tracing, I'd worry about consistency, spacing & scale.  I've done a few things on a flatbed printer that'll take a 4x8 sheet and would recommend that route.

A single D800 shot over 8' gives you a 76.67ppi, UHD (3840) over 8' gives you 40 ppi.  Neither of which will look good, in the 4" - 12" viewing distance.  If I were looking for perfection, I'd have it printed.  If I were looking for art, the tracing & imperfections would play into it.

If you do the slide conversion, go for a 612 or 617 size as you will need as much detail as possible.

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 11:26:59 pm »

I've done a few things on a flatbed printer that'll take a 4x8 sheet and would recommend that route.

Definitely +1.  Depending on how many you need to do, I imagine this would be much cheaper than purchasing a projector and far more accurate than attempting it by hand regardless.  Unless, of course, you specifically want a hand-finished look.  In that case, perhaps you could convert the image to print via flatbed so as to include the details you need and then using a simple paper print (to size) as a reference for hand finishing?  It would be something like an embellished print where an artist adds paint to a print.
Phil Brown

Joe Towner

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 12:14:17 am »

One more idea on the hand tracing idea - print your image on a transparency and project it via on overhead projector. 

BobDavid

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 01:08:40 am »

I've got an Ektagraphic III. I looked at some slides on it a few months ago. ... If you take care to set up the slide projector so the projected image is parallel and perpendicular to the slide, you'll be fine. The fans in those carousel projectors are a bit loud. It takes a lot or air current to keep slides from frying.
Pages: [1]   Go Up