Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop file scaling and saving performance  (Read 944 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Photoshop file scaling and saving performance
« on: September 05, 2017, 01:07:34 pm »

I'm dealing with some massive files that are (16000x54000) and have a few questions:

1) Scaling the file which has multiple layers and channels takes much less time than actually saving the document. The final psb file on disk is about 3.6 gigs but takes nearly 15 minutes to write to an m2 drive. Most of the write seems to be photoshop overhead and not the dive speed. Is there a more efficient psb saving option/method ?

2) For some unknown reason I can't launch multiple instances of photoshop on windows to do some of this in parallel. I have 56 cores on my machine and 128 gigs of ram and was hoping to utilize this a little more by having multiple instances of photoshop doing a file scale and save each. Is there a trick to getting this  to happen or does adobe simply have an aversion to letting users be more efficient ? After effects at least has a command line based background process that can spawn multiple instances, does photoshop have anything like this ?

rdonson

Re: Photoshop file scaling and saving performance
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 06:19:38 pm »

I'm not sure that PS or LR can utilize more than 4 cores.  Multiple instances of either is not something I've ever tried. The only thing off the top of my head is trying to launch PS in a couple of VMs.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up