Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Live View shooting and sensor noise  (Read 182027 times)

jwlimages

Live View shooting and sensor noise
« on: September 05, 2017, 12:10:32 pm »

I'm experimenting with changing my shooting technique using tripod-mounted cameras, from triggering using mirror lock-up to just using live view.

I recall warnings about huge build-up of sensor noise from using a precursor of live view on the early CCD backs from Sinar. They even promoted these with some sort of cooling features built in to the backs. Of course this is 10+ years back, and before more successful CMOS-based sensors. Nobody seems to be talking about sensor noise that way these days, but still I wonder, so here's a question for the collective wisdom here:

Does anyone have knowledge about any increased noise side effects from using live view shooting this way? I can easily spend several minutes composing, etc. and exposing one shot or sequence, then repeat a number of times over a couple hours. So it can add up to a significant amount of time with the sensor "active"; if the ambient temperature is pretty hot as well - can these effects add up to a significant influence on the sensor's behavior? (e.g., increased noise) Or is this issue moot with current CMOS technology like that in a Canon 5D Mk IV, or Pentax 654z)?

Thanks,

John

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Live View shooting and sensor noise
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 12:17:59 pm »

From my experience, it's pretty much moot with most modern CMOS backs, and or cameras especially the 2 you mentioned.

With P1 I have never seen much of an issue at all with any of their CMOS backs, and I use Live View 100% of the time there.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 12:41:34 pm »

I'm experimenting with changing my shooting technique using tripod-mounted cameras, from triggering using mirror lock-up to just using live view.

I recall warnings about huge build-up of sensor noise from using a precursor of live view on the early CCD backs from Sinar. They even promoted these with some sort of cooling features built in to the backs. Of course this is 10+ years back, and before more successful CMOS-based sensors. Nobody seems to be talking about sensor noise that way these days, but still I wonder, so here's a question for the collective wisdom here:

Does anyone have knowledge about any increased noise side effects from using live view shooting this way? I can easily spend several minutes composing, etc. and exposing one shot or sequence, then repeat a number of times over a couple hours. So it can add up to a significant amount of time with the sensor "active"; if the ambient temperature is pretty hot as well - can these effects add up to a significant influence on the sensor's behavior? (e.g., increased noise) Or is this issue moot with current CMOS technology like that in a Canon 5D Mk IV, or Pentax 654z)?

I did some testing on the D810:

http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/does-using-live-view-make-your-images-noisier/

http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/d810-live-views-effect-on-dark-field-noise-longer-exposures/

http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/d810-live-view-heating-effects-at-30-second-exposures/

There's not much to worry about.

Jim

graeme

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 04:05:34 pm »

I use a pretty humble 6 year old crop frame Canon. I haven't noticed any issues with noise during tripod mounted low ISO shooting. I wouldn't imagine it's any problem at all on a contemporary full frame camera. ( I shoot church interiors, so some quite long exposures ).

If you're particularly concerned you could use the camera's viewfinder for the initial rough composition of the shot before switching to live view for final tweaking.

jwlimages

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 06:12:09 pm »

Thank you folks, for your responses. Pretty much confirmed my expectations - we do have a lot to be thankful for compared to those early days of high-res CCD captures!

Jim, your tests seem to confirm the general notion that yes, live view does heat up the sensor, but with only very minor consequence to s/n ratio or general image quality. Good to know, thanks!

John

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 06:21:05 pm »

Jim, your tests seem to confirm the general notion that yes, live view does heat up the sensor, but with only very minor consequence to s/n ratio or general image quality. Good to know, thanks!

Those are my conclusions as well.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up