Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pen/pencils for signing prints  (Read 2172 times)

John Chardine

• chardine photography
pen/pencils for signing prints
« on: September 05, 2017, 08:53:17 am »

I do quite a bit of my printing on Epson Velvet Fine Art or Cold Press papers and have tried several options for signing prints. I like the subdued look of pencil but find that these papers are pretty soft and the pencil does not easily glide over the paper surface, thus making signing difficult and somewhat stressful! A pigment ink pen may work nicely but I find that at least black stands out too much.

Can anyone advise on what they do.

Thanks.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: pen/pencils for signing prints
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 10:21:11 am »

I use a black Pigma 0.5 pigment ink pen

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 11:39:23 am »

I do quite a bit of my printing on Epson Velvet Fine Art or Cold Press papers and have tried several options for signing prints. I like the subdued look of pencil but find that these papers are pretty soft and the pencil does not easily glide over the paper surface, thus making signing difficult and somewhat stressful! A pigment ink pen may work nicely but I find that at least black stands out too much.

Can anyone advise on what they do.

Thanks.

I had similar concerns.  I hate the signing part.  Anyway, I settled on one of these grey pens:

http://www.fabercastell.com/art-and-graphic/artist-products/pitt-artist-pens/IndiainkPittArtistPenBboxof639grey39/167104

After the original ink got used up, I made my own ink with (black, white and red) pigmented inks that I bought from an art store.  You can mix and match any colors you want and fill from the top.  You have to be careful and not overfill.  Otherwise you have to write the excess off. 

Good luck. 

:Niranjan.

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 12:22:20 pm »

I use several colors and sizes of Micron Pigma pens.
Regards,
Ron

John Chardine

• chardine photography
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 07:46:43 pm »

Many thanks to all!

unesco

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 03:12:33 pm »

Epson Cold/Hot Press papers are the only matt fine-art papers I know which allows to easily write on printable side with pencil (BTW, both sides are printable)

MHMG

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 06:14:54 pm »

Epson Cold/Hot Press papers are the only matt fine-art papers I know which allows to easily write on printable side with pencil (BTW, both sides are printable)

Add Moab Entrada Natural (OBA-free) and Bright white 300gsm and 190gsm to your list although I don't recommend the bright white versions due to high OBA content.  Entrada takes #2 graphite pencil beautifully on both sides (as these classic Entrada cut sheet papers are double-side coated). Also, the 300 gsm rolls are dual-side coated. Other gsm weights are available in rolls but not advertised as dual-sided like the 300gsm although they may still take pencil well on both sides.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:37:19 pm by MHMG »

Ethan Hansen

• Dry Creek Photo
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 05:48:31 pm »

Sakura Microperm pens are the best I've found. Come in three sizes: 0.25, 0.35, and 0.45mm.

unesco

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 03:21:20 am »

Add Moab Entrada Natural (OBA-free) and Bright white 300gsm and 190gsm to your list although I don't recommend the bright white versions due to high OBA content.  Entrada takes #2 graphite pencil beautifully on both sides (as these classic Entrada cut sheet papers are double-side coated). Also, the 300 gsm rolls are dual-side coated. Other gsm weights are available in rolls but not advertised as dual-sided like the 300gsm although they may still take pencil well on both sides.

Thank you for this update, I didn't know about this paper "pen" features - maybe because Moab is not so popular in Europe.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 07:49:14 am »

Thank you for this update, I didn't know about this paper "pen" features - maybe because Moab is not so popular in Europe.

6B pencils can do the job on any matte art paper. Smudge is then more the problem.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Pages: [1]   Go Up