Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P800 Error Code 0x1404  (Read 9531 times)

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
P800 Error Code 0x1404
« on: September 04, 2017, 08:26:50 pm »

This error code occurred for the first time a little while ago.  As the control panel suggested, I turned the printer on and off (a few times, actually), and the code returned each time (I tried to print only a nozzle check each time).  I have left the printer off.

I did a little online searching before making this post and gather from what I read that the error code represents either a mechanical problem of some sort or a problem with a newly-installed ink cartridge (the printer asked for a new cartridge for the PK an hour or two before the error code appeared.  I installed one when requested, made one print ok right after installation, then the error code appeared when I tried about an hour later to make another print.)

The printer is about a month short of a year old.  I plan to call both Epson and our local Epson authorized repair center, but of course will value anything I can learn from respondents to this post.

Thanks
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: P800 Error Code 0x1404
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 09:28:10 pm »

Jeffrey, not clear whether this helps, but it may be a cartridge issue: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4013728 and https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/epson-3800-error-1404.308577/. It appears you will need to speak with Epson to get it fixed.

Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Farmer

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 11:10:17 pm »

It's an issue with the pump pressurisation.  Remove the ink cartridges and then replace them (with the same carts) and see if it clears.  Make sure there's no foreign material in the ink cart slots that might be stopping them from fully inserting and sealing.  If not, you need warranty support.
Phil Brown

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 08:19:05 am »

Thank you, Mark and Phil.

I read the links, Mark, and removed/replaced the ink cartridges, Phil.  No change.

I hope to reach Epson and/or our local repair center later today.  I'll follow-up here when I know more.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 10:01:04 am »

I spoke with Epson tech support.  The error code was interpreted as a "hardware problem."  The operator was cordial, professional, and patient with my several questions.

Because the printer is still under warranty, they are sending (via FEDEX for delivery tomorrow) a refurbished unit with a new set of initialization ink cartridges (i.e., the same cartridges that are packed with a new printer).  I will have to return the non-functioning printer.

When I asked about salvaging the cartridges that are in my current printer, I was told I could remove them and, if they are "safely stored" (e.g. each in its own ziplock bag along with my other new, still-boxed backup cartridges in the drawer where I keep the cartridges), install them one by one when the corresponding initialization cartridges need to be replaced.  Any thoughts on this?  I'd rather lose those partly-used cartridges than risk another problem with my soon-to-arrive replacement.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 11:48:59 am »

great news
Thank God you were still under warranty.

Mike

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 02:22:18 pm »

Yes, Mike, Epson's response to my in-warranty call went smoothly. 

I might add that last October, when I bought the P800 that I'm returning, I purchased the extended warranty (for 2 more years beyond the 1st); it remains in effect for the replacement that is being sent (i.e. for 3 years from the original purchase date).
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 02:41:06 pm »

OK,Good luck with it
Use it in Good health,hope you have no further issues,-I'm looking at the P600,&,the Canon pixma pro 10.

Epson & Canon,are have great rebates,till the end of the month.
Mike

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 03:07:18 pm »

Epson & Canon,are have great rebates,till the end of the month.
Mike

Don't make the mistake I made....apparently Epson rebate is not valid for Staples and Best Buy (which is where I bought.)  Didn't read the rebate form first.  Jerks!

Randy Carone

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 03:42:34 pm »

Glad you admit the mistake was yours. Buy from an authorized dealer who can answer the many questions that may arise over the years. I have no dog in this fight other than hating big box stores. F 'em.
Randy Carone

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 03:58:03 pm »

Glad you admit the mistake was yours. Buy from an authorized dealer who can answer the many questions that may arise over the years. I have no dog in this fight other than hating big box stores. F 'em.
Sorry I do not want to get into the discussion about big box etc.  I didn't admit that it was a mistake that I bought from a big box in case that's what you thought.  There are no mom and pop stores left any more.  In my neighborhood there are no little printer stores that carry high end inkjets.  I started buying from Best Buy so Amazon does not devastate the local stores.  As far as I know, Best Buy is an authorized dealer.  They answer your questions much better than Amazon.  I called Epson jerks not Best Buy.  On their site they do not mention exceptions to rebate.  Only when you download and look at the rebate form, you realize, the rebates are not applicable to best Buy and Staples.

Farmer

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 08:45:48 pm »

When I asked about salvaging the cartridges that are in my current printer, I was told I could remove them and, if they are "safely stored" (e.g. each in its own ziplock bag along with my other new, still-boxed backup cartridges in the drawer where I keep the cartridges), install them one by one when the corresponding initialization cartridges need to be replaced.  Any thoughts on this?  I'd rather lose those partly-used cartridges than risk another problem with my soon-to-arrive replacement.

Keep them in a zip lock in a drawer and use them when the starters run out - no problem.
Phil Brown

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 09:04:46 pm »

Thank you, Phil.  That's good to know.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 06:39:08 pm »

Phil et al., on the matter of salvaging the cartridges currently in the non-working printer:

The replacement Epson sent arrived as promised today. 

The included paperwork gave instructions for preparing the return unit for shipping; the cartridges should be left in (this was confirmed by Epson tech support in another call I had with them this afternoon about this and a few other details).  It's still good, though, to have for another occasion Phil's advice on the ziplock bags.

By the way, the box included a full set of 80ml cartridges, not the 64ml initializing cartridges I was told yesterday to expect.  That was nice.

I'll be installing the replacement tomorrow and will post again if I can contribute anything helpful.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 07:41:04 pm »

I set up the replacement printer today and made a few prints; everything is working as expected.

The only downside was that I lost my print presets.  I had been told by tech support that once the inks were initialized I could use the software that was already installed (i.e. no need to install the software as I did when I first bought the printer).  So, assuming “the software” included all my presets, when I added the new printer in System Preferences, I deleted the old printer.  Perhaps it was at that point that I lost the preferences.

That all the presets are gone may be just as well.  In the early months of ownership I’d accumulated a lot of presets that I don't  use much anymore, and I had made records of the few that were most important.  Recreating the few presets I need won’t be a problem.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up