Equipment & Techniques > Beginner's Questions

Non-Halftone Photo Print or Color Transparency from Digital File

(1/3) > >>

arobinson7547:

Hello,

where can I get a Continuous Tone Print made in the USA? Like you got when you dropped your film off at the Drug Store (no dots). I wish to print out a Digital Image as a Photograph 11x17 or so. I went to Walmart and looked at a sample of what comes off their machine and it looked worse then inkjet (much more coarse)

What's the process/machine called?

I know a Photolab that has Silver Halide but, it seems like that is Black and White only. I don't know. Yes/No?

Can a Color Transparency be made from a Digital File? (11x17 or less)

Thank You.

Slobodan Blagojevic:
Not absolutely sure what are you asking, but it might be this:

- LigthJet printing on a Lambda machine

For example: https://us.whitewall.com/photo-lab/photo-prints/best-photo-printing?gclid=Cj0KEQjw0K7NBRC7oave4cOg6JkBEiQARqotETKhtPjwScdjEVoZbeRnwOoi1j1VSQla-UaJDUHKFGsaAid98P8HAQ

Wikipedia link: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightJet

Bart_van_der_Wolf:

--- Quote from: arobinson7547 on September 03, 2017, 08:55:27 am ---
Hello,

where can I get a Continuous Tone Print made in the USA? Like you got when you dropped your film off at the Drug Store (no dots). I wish to print out a Digital Image as a Photograph 11x17 or so. I went to Walmart and looked at a sample of what comes off their machine and it looked worse then inkjet (much more coarse)

What's the process/machine called?
--- End quote ---

Hi,

I believe it's called a C-print, but the technology (and quality) used to print on 'normal' photochemical paper differs between suppliers. High-resolution lasers or LEDs are often used to expose the paper, based on a digital file. When you start with a shot on film, it will first have to be scanned/digitized.

--- Quote ---Can a Color Transparency be made from a Digital File? (11x17 or less)
--- End quote ---

Yes, if you are talking about duplicating to film but there are fewer and fewer labs that have that capability, and it's usually smaller formats. If you are talking about an enlargement on a transparent material (for trans-illumination) there are different options depending on how it's going to be mounted, usually available from professional labs, or companies that produce signage (e.g. on lightboxes or for outdoors use).

Cheers,
Bart

arobinson7547:
Thanks guys. I want to print out a Digital file as, what was it called a "C-Print" and scan it to make a higher resolution file. I need a 1000% enlargement and the only way I can think of to maintain the quality for close viewing wall mural is to print out and scan at high resolution.

This was not that big of a deal, when you had a regular photo (a few cents at your local Drug Store) but now, dots are everywhere and at 1000% EVERYTHING shows. I remember the Lamda and know almost all of them are gone. But, I was thinking the 'regular' photo process was still there, somewhere. I guess most have been replaced with the Indigo, which like Inkjet is fine for one-to-one; but not good as a source for an enlargement.

Slobodan Blagojevic:
It seems next to impossible that printing, then scanning, then enlarging 1000% would deliver better results than directly enlarging a digital file (using dedicated software for that, of course).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version