Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: About to get married to a HP Z3200PS...  (Read 6294 times)

maxs

About to get married to a HP Z3200PS...
« on: September 03, 2017, 05:48:50 am »

About to pull the trigger on a 44" Z3200PS.

I know she is not all that good looking but apparently has a good personality!

Last opportunity to speak up to encourage/stop me for making this commitment :-)

Thx

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
Re: About to get married to a HP Z3200PS...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 07:32:28 am »

Don't know about looks but it works.  I have had a z3100 and now a Z3200 for 7 years.  About a year ago had the main drive belt break and power supply fan noise problems that are well documented here.  With the help of Mark and others here I received the guidance and encouragement to make the repair myself. While I was getting up my nerve I had to get a machine to allow me to continue work so I fixed the HP but used the new (Epson).  So had the z3200 OFF for 5 months --- worked picked up so fired up the Z last week after 5 months being off. Did a recal of the paper I was using NO HEAD CLEANING REQUIRED. took off printing as if it had been used all along. I am not recommending this use method but just saying the Z is an amazing machine even when abused.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:07:39 am »

About to pull the trigger on a 44" Z3200PS.

I know she is not all that good looking but apparently has a good personality!

Last opportunity to speak up to encourage/stop me for making this commitment :-)

Thx

Actually, I beg to differ.  She IS that good looking.  It is the most modernist sleek design of all the printers out there. And she is light on her feet. She may be a little slow, but she is ever ready and always faithful.  Congratulations!  BTW, she can be cranky on occasion.  Just humor her then unplug and wait a minute and restart.  The key to owning a Z3200ps printer is to just reboot.  Allow the printer to get over it, whatever it is.  Works more often than not,  If only marriage were that simple. (Having been for 49 years).

You   Will   Love  It.
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

maxs

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 09:24:44 am »

Actually, I beg to differ.  She IS that good looking.  It is the most modernist sleek design of all the printers out there. And she is light on her feet. She may be a little slow, but she is ever ready and always faithful.  Congratulations!  BTW, she can be cranky on occasion.  Just humor her then unplug and wait a minute and restart.  The key to owning a Z3200ps printer is to just reboot.  Allow the printer to get over it, whatever it is.  Works more often than not,  If only marriage were that simple. (Having been for 49 years).

You   Will   Love  It.

Interesting to hear your real life experience :-)

maxs

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 09:26:22 am »

You   Will   Love  It.

Thanks Mark. One of the reasons why I decided was because of your advice and reputation :-)

Is there a Mark 2 out there just incase you decide to take a long sabbatical? lol

deanwork

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 09:28:03 am »

It a beautiful printer. Unlike my overweight Canon and Epson, she doesnt have to weigh 340 lbs to be hot.

quote author=maxshafiq link=topic=120417.msg997659#msg997659 date=1504445084]
[/quote]

maxs

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 12:11:02 pm »

It a beautiful printer. Unlike my overweight Canon and Epson, she doesnt have to weigh 340 lbs to be hot.

quote author=maxshafiq link=topic=120417.msg997659#msg997659 date=1504445084]

lol

MHMG

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 12:45:32 pm »

I have been printing on a Z3200PS for several months now. My only regret is that I didn't buy one sooner :)

If you run a commercial lab cranking out lots of prints each day, the Z3200PS isn't for you. If you are a photographer/printmaker and/or print mainly for yourself or for a select group of perfectionistic clients, then the Z3200PS hits all the right notes.  Easy to set up, easy to maintain, beautiful print quality on both glossy and matte fine art media, and still the best print longevity even compared to the latest Epson and Canon offerings.

And I do agree, we need to clone Mark L. a time or two  :) His advice and willingness to share his experience on the Z's has been invaluable.   I'm a guy who manages to find obscure bugs in any software.  Found one weird one in the HP driver (i.e., you have to use the skew check option when loading cut sheet or else the printer slows way down as if it's being data starved during the print cycle, go figure),  Love my Z.

best,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Peter McLennan

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 01:50:56 pm »

Any advice on loading sheets and avoiding multiple skew error rejections welcome.

MHMG

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 03:00:06 pm »

Any advice on loading sheets and avoiding multiple skew error rejections welcome.

I could show you easily in person, but hard to describe in text.  Anyway, I do the ultimate "large cut sheet feeding" on my Z3200 (up to 44' cut sheet width) because I routinely do backprinting of metadata and a personal digital stamp, etc. For double-sided printing I carefully align/attach an interleaf sheet to the front side of the paper, then feed the whole assembly into the Z3200 from the rear of the printer as if loading a roll, then lift the Z's paper release handle and make sure the paper is properly aligned with the blue line on the front of the feed port. There is a knack to it, but once I figured it out, it turns out the Z is way easier to trick into printing on the verso of a cut sheet than was my Canon iPF8300 although I was successful in backprinting on the iPF8300 as well. Printing cut sheet on front side only is, of course, easier than that but follows the same principle of aligning correctly with the blue line on the front of the printer.

As I noted earlier, you want to select "skew check" enabled on the LCD panel rather than disable it, otherwise, printing cut sheet becomes very slow. It's a bug in the driver or firmware, but easy enough to avoid simply by always selecting the skew check enabled option. For small cut sheet such as letter size or up to Ansi C, I will use the cut sheet feed tray, with about 70% chance it will pass the skew check without having to resort to the further blue line alignment technique, but I know that some Z owners do all cut sheet feeding from the rear port and essentially give up on the Z's cut sheet feed tray. Whatever works for you, but it all gets faster with practice 8)

cheers,
Mark
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 08:55:46 pm by MHMG »

felix5616

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 05:19:37 pm »

I owned one till i lost it in a house fire, worked great and produced beautiful B+W and color prints. The onboard profiler was also fantastic. If i buy another printer it would still be an HP Z3200PS printer.

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 05:41:14 pm »

Thanks for the kudos guys, but if anyone deserves credit it would be Ernst Dinkla and Geraldo Garcia.  Ernst got me started working on the Z and Geraldo showed just what the Z could do in the hands of a truly pro printer.  Others such as John Dean of Dean Imaging in Atlanta, and MARK MCCORMICK-GOODHART (Aardenburg Imaging) have been an inspiration based on their knowledge as professionals using the printer.  Back in the old days of the Z3100, just starting out, there were a whole lot of guys who were so involved and there was a great community.  Time marches on and after a falling off, now there seems to be a resurgence in interest in the printer, much of which can be attributed to Aardenburg Imaging for confirming that the Vivera ink set is still King  of  the  Hill.  It is gratifying to see so many loyal followers of the Z3200 Series printers who are mostly quietly in the background not making any noise because they are happy with their printers.  Kaleria broke the ice with his repair video which was huge.  And there are so many others who made amazing contributions, too numerous to mention.  People have said HP is out of the running, but to the contrary, not only are they still making the best printer for artist photographers, they are still quietly selling with no PR at all. I have been encouraging them to continue making the printer and if anything perhaps make a few improvements in a Z3300 model continuing the manufacturing cycle.

KEEP MAKING VIVERA INK HP.  WHATEVER YOU DO, JUST KEEP MAKING THE INK.

Ersnt taught me how to feed paper by example here on the forum.  Keep a roll on the spindle and just feed paper in right where the roll paper slot is, from behind the printer, and always do skew check, and keep the paper tight to the left looking from behind, forward, touching the left paper guard on the spindle.  Keep it tight as it goes into the printer with just the right amount of pressure allowing the printer to pull the paper in.  Wait for the beeps and come around to the front side.  If you kept it left-aligned just right, it should finish loading successfully.  If not, you just do the blue line alignment thing.  After a while you get the hang of it and as long as you don't force or push the initial process, soon your success rate will be in the 90's or higher.  The better your ability to finesse, the higher your percentage of immediate loads.  It's a skill like all of it is.
Learn the skill, work at it and you will get it, just like learning to balance on a bike for the first time.
As Mark (MHMG) said, ALWAYS do skew check.  I know some people do load from over the front, but I like just laying the paper on the roll of paper beneath, leading the path in as though it is a roll.  Thanks again to Ernst Dinkla for this.

By the way, Where is Ernst?

Have fun with your Z- encourage HP to keep making them!

Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 05:42:35 pm »

I owned one till i lost it in a house fire, worked great and produced beautiful B+W and color prints. The onboard profiler was also fantastic. If i buy another printer it would still be an HP Z3200PS printer.

Sorry to hear you lost your printer Felix.  More than that, sorry to hear of the house fire.

Hope you're back on your feet man.

-Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

deanwork

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 08:10:21 pm »

Oh, thank you Mark for pointing out this glitch!

I feel so stupid. That was the main reason I described the printer as painfully slow.  I was really loving the fact that turning off screw check didn't cut off one side of the 8.5x11 test like my 3100 does and fed fast. But now I see that was what was slowing down my sheet  printing. Duh. Roll printing is not painfully slow, just not state of the art fast. I'll just go back to feeding through the back. Really the skew check on the 3200 is much easier regardless on the 3200 anyway. You really should use flat paper though. I flatten a bunch of sheets from the end of my rolls in my dry mount press trim them accurately on the Rototrim and put them n a box for later use.

As I noted earlier, you want to select "skew check" enabled on the LCD panel rather than disable it, otherwise, printing cut sheet becomes very slow. It's a bug in the driver or firmware, but easy enough to avoid simply by always selecting the skew check enabled option. For small cut sheet such as letter size or up to Ansi C, I will use the cut sheet feed tray, with about 70% chance it will pass the skew check without having to resort to the furhter blue line alignment technique, but I know that some Z owners do all cut sheet feeding from the rear port and essentially give up on the Z's cut sheet feed tray. Whatever works for you, but it all gets faster with practice 8)

cheers,
Mark
[/quote]

MHMG

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 09:04:34 pm »

Oh, thank you Mark for pointing out this glitch!

I was really loving the fact that turning off screw check didn't cut off one side of the 8.5x11 test like my 3100 does and fed fast.

Hi John, I know you meant to type "skew check" but in a way your spelling variant of the intended word makes perfect sense :)

All the best,
Mark

Peter McLennan

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 12:05:23 am »

Excellent advice, guys. Thanks. I've printed very few cut sheets so far, but I'm encouraged to try again.

deanwork

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 09:47:59 am »

I love the way my iPad edits to conform to my true feelings. That's artificial intelligence and machine learning in action.

But seriously they need to fix skew check because it is so useful to be able to turn it off.

Hi John, I know you meant to type "skew check" but in a way your spelling variant of the intended word makes perfect sense :)

All the best,
Mark

maxs

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2017, 11:46:50 am »

I assume this skew cut thing is something I can look forward to then... :-)

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 12:27:20 pm »

But seriously they need to fix skew check because it is so useful to be able to turn it off.

I am on a z3100- it does not slow down without a skewcheck, but i have larger margins ( so less space for printing) on my paper...
( i think because the printer is now not sure about the size...)

I assume this skew cut thing is something I can look forward to then... :-)

The printer is very strict and it may take some attempts till it finds you put the paper in correctly.
Now, if you have to print a 100 sheets that really ruins your day... ;)

But the good thing is you can have really shallow margins and it comes out with straight borders.
( something that was very difficult in my darkroom days.)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

deanwork

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 12:41:14 pm »

Well hell another great thing I just learned - give myself a little more border and proceed to simple to load fast 8.5x11 proofs. That's easy.

You would

I am on a z3100- it does not slow down without a skewcheck, but i have larger margins ( so less space for printing) on my paper...
( i think because the printer is now not sure about the size...)

The printer is very strict and it may take some attempts till it finds you put the paper in correctly.
Now, if you have to print a 100 sheets that really ruins your day... ;)

But the good thing is you can have really shallow margins and it comes out with straight borders.
( something that was very difficult in my darkroom days.)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up