Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: About to get married to a HP Z3200PS...  (Read 6288 times)

Bako88fan

Re: About to get married to a HP Z3200PS...
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 11:06:20 am »

Make sure no one throws rice. It's a pain getting that out of the print path.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 06:42:42 am »

I am on a z3100- it does not slow down without a skewcheck, but i have larger margins ( so less space for printing) on my paper...
( i think because the printer is now not sure about the size...)

The printer is very strict and it may take some attempts till it finds you put the paper in correctly.
Now, if you have to print a 100 sheets that really ruins your day... ;)

But the good thing is you can have really shallow margins and it comes out with straight borders.
( something that was very difficult in my darkroom days.)

When I received my Z3200 about 8 years ago I noticed that with Skew Check Off the printer became slow and remained slow when I switched the setting to Skew Check On. It got its "speed" again only after switching to Roll and then for both Skew Check On and Roll. I reported that to HP Barcelona and they admitted it as a bug but no remedy firmware followed. That bug I must have written about in 2009/2010.

The Z3100 got the Skew Check Off mode maybe a year after the printer was available so in 2007 and it does not have the issue as described, speed remains the same, just the paper insert is different.

For dual sided printing in register I often start printing from the roll and then with a precut on the roll leading edge right after the paper insert so the first printed sheet has the same leading edge as the rest that come after it. Add about 15mm extra for the print page size to create the right print margin at the trailing edge for sheet printing. Qimage image corner marks added in the print. First side done, I cut the left side that it has the same distance as the right side has to the Qimage corner marking (there has to be at least some mm extra white on the left in the first print run). Frugal ink image like text preferably printed first as there will be less smudging and the paper will keep its dimensions better. I then insert the printed sheets turned over (leading edge still leading edge) but at an angle so the printer directly says I have to use the blue line for register. On that blue line I use tabs to register the leading edge against. On the left right register the sensor on the head of the Z should give the same distance it did in the first run. After one or two prints I have the skew between front and backside register in control.

The Skew Check Off mode was intended to allow paper with deckle edges. For register it is working out worse anyway, not just on the printing speed. I print deckle edge sheets on the Z3100 when needed but it happens seldom.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 08:38:52 pm »

About to pull the trigger on a 44" Z3200PS.

I totally agree with MHMG...
If you are a photographer/printmaker and/or print mainly for yourself or for a select group of perfectionistic clients, then the Z3200PS hits all the right notes.  Easy to set up, easy to maintain, beautiful print quality on both glossy and matte fine art media, and still the best print longevity even compared to the latest Epson and Canon offerings.

Had the HPZ3100PS 44", and did the belt replace, but managed to get a new REV B HPZ3200PS 44" too.

We can only hope HP stays the course.

So long for now, Tom

maxs

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2017, 09:13:49 am »

Sounds like there is a good support network of folks who are willing to help if and when an issue arises. I am only going to be using it for personal work for no large scale commercial printing :-)

Any suggestions on where to buy inks and media and what type of media is especially suited for this printer?

Thx

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2017, 01:00:15 pm »

Sounds like there is a good support network of folks who are willing to help if and when an issue arises. I am only going to be using it for personal work for no large scale commercial printing :-)

Any suggestions on where to buy inks and media and what type of media is especially suited for this printer?

Thx

If buying ink new - just google and find lowest prices.  Not much more you can do.
Be sure to confirm expiration dates.

Follow posts of MHMG and Deanwork and Ernst Dinkla for best media to print on.  Important to do your homework on this printer - read as much as you can on this forum.

It's probably the best source for info you're looking for.

Best -
Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

William Chitham

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 09:24:13 am »

Any advice on loading sheets and avoiding multiple skew error rejections welcome.
I made a sheet feed tray a few years ago when I was struggling to print double sided A3 pages accurately for a client's portfolio. It still isn't completely error proof but I find it helps. Mine is not very big but I think it could be scaled up, space permitting.

William.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 09:33:07 am »

Excellent William! Thanks!

maxs

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2017, 07:05:01 pm »

Anyone know what the cost of printing is on this printer? Color versus black and white?

maxs

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2017, 12:12:06 am »

Dang...reading through all these forum posts about some Utility being discontinued and something called "Click" replacing it...I was about to place an order tomorrow but I may have to halt. In other words is this news going to spoil my wedding plans???

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2017, 06:06:29 pm »

I have the Z5200 44" model and love it. It's been running 24/7 for over two years with hardly any clogs. Maybe once I had to run a head cleaning.  I've replaced the heads once but it is cheap and easy. Four modules plug in like an ink cartridge.  The printer wakes itself up a few times a day and does some mystery maintenance, likely cleaning the print heads. 

I bought this after my Epson 7900 failed and need new print heads...and $1800 proposition that requires a service tech on site/

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2017, 05:06:53 am »

I have the Z5200 44" model and love it. It's been running 24/7 for over two years with hardly any clogs. Maybe once I had to run a head cleaning.  I've replaced the heads once but it is cheap and easy. Four modules plug in like an ink cartridge.  The printer wakes itself up a few times a day and does some mystery maintenance, likely cleaning the print heads. 

I bought this after my Epson 7900 failed and need new print heads...and $1800 proposition that requires a service tech on site/

The experience of many here with HP Z Designjets. Most here like to have 12 ink models though. The Z5200 and Z5600 have the Chromatic Red ink too if I recall it correctly. Wonder how much gamut and gloss difference there is compared to the Z3200.

maxs

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 03:15:34 am »

Z5200 - will have to compare and see what the diff is between the 3200 and 5200 both size and price for starters. The 3200 is regarded as a good for low volume printing (hobbyist like me). I wonder if the same holds true on the 5200?

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2017, 03:47:30 am »

Z5200 - will have to compare and see what the diff is between the 3200 and 5200 both size and price for starters. The 3200 is regarded as a good for low volume printing (hobbyist like me). I wonder if the same holds true on the 5200?

Heads are the same but 8 colors = 4 heads instead of 6. Printer technology the same. Allows the bigger carts with 300 ml but can still use the 130 ML. Faster printing. No gloss enhancer. Fade properties of the inks should be similar. I see no reason that it does not suit low volume printing. It is the gamut that will differ and whether gloss papers are compatible enough that they can work without GE. I was not so impressed by the Z5200 gloss prints some Photokinas ago but that was 5 years ago I think.

jtmiller

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2017, 04:14:35 pm »

I went to the HP site today to see if there was anything new in the driver/software utility area. The utility is still only the "Click" thing but there was a September 2017 PCL driver posted.

Anyone have a spare PC connected to their Z3200 that can try this out and report findings?

If it would at least have a Properties page that would turn off color management in the printer then the PC apps could manage it themselves.

Thanks

jim
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up