Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P800  (Read 3763 times)

JudyKonopka

Epson P800
« on: September 02, 2017, 10:59:21 am »

Ug, I've had it with Epson.  I purchased the P800 about 8 months ago. I already had a "board failure", so I had to return the printer.  Now, something really funky is happening with my prints.  I was happily printing this morning until suddenly I got this very blue patch on a print where black should be (see attached).  I was a little low on LK so I changed the cartridge and tried it again - same problem. I did a test print and noticed the first block of color (PK) was totally missing! Should I do a cleaning? It's hard to imagine it's a cleaning issue since there's no other issues on the print. I did do a clean about a month ago as well.  What do you think?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 11:13:06 am by JudyKonopka »

rdonson

Re: Epson P800
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 11:09:47 am »

It can't hurt to do a cleaning and a print out a test. 

I don't understand how a hard drive failure correlates with the P800.   I don't think my P800 has a hard drive.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 04:45:35 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

JudyKonopka

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 11:12:21 am »

Epson called it a "board failure". Sorry for the confusion.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 11:20:21 am »

I am quite certain my P800 has no hard drive.

However, I had something similar happen a couple of months ago. I hadn't done a nozzle check before printing a few prints, and the colors looked weird (I now do a nozzle check before each printing). My PK ink was not printing at all, even when I did a nozzle check.

I can't remember the exact sequence of actions that fixed the problem, but I believe it involved some combination of the following:

1.  Swapping inks from PK to MK to do a test print (I normally never use MK);
2.  Doing a clean (or at most two); and
3.  Letting the printer sit overnight after the cleaning; and
4.  Doing another nozzle check.

I hope this works for you.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 11:49:41 am »

What do you think?
Check the nozzles and do a head cleaning.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 12:05:06 pm »

Check the nozzles and do a head cleaning.

I couldn't agree more with Eric and Andrew.  I print every day, except Sunday, and occasionally then as well.  During the past 12 years I have used an Epson 4000, 2-7600s, 9900 and now the P7000.  I would never think of starting a printing session without first running a QC(Nozzle Check).  Well actually that's not quite true.  I did "think of it" once, and the first print, a 24x36 was immediately scraped.  Notice I said "ONCE".  It took only one bad experience to learn that lesson.  Oh that I could always learn that easily.  A Nozzle Check(not auto) is indeed your best friend, and it costs next to nothing.  However, it can save a lot in the long run.

Gary       

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 12:14:05 pm »

I have seen same thing with my 3880--no PK block in nozzle check.  Removed PK and reinserted it then did a cleaning. Nozzle check showed OK and prints were fine.

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 01:52:28 pm »

However, I had something similar happen a couple of months ago. I hadn't done a nozzle check before printing a few prints, and the colors looked weird (I now do a nozzle check before each printing). My PK ink was not printing at all, even when I did a nozzle check.

I can't remember the exact sequence of actions that fixed the problem, but I believe it involved some combination of the following:

This is how I went about solving a major clog in the PK channel of my printer as well.

Mike

JudyKonopka

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 02:10:55 pm »

I hope so, thank you for your reply. Doing a cleaning now.

JudyKonopka

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 02:12:07 pm »

How often do you head cleaning if you print every day?  Just out of curiosity?

I couldn't agree more with Eric and Andrew.  I print every day, except Sunday, and occasionally then as well.  During the past 12 years I have used an Epson 4000, 2-7600s, 9900 and now the P7000.  I would never think of starting a printing session without first running a QC(Nozzle Check).  Well actually that's not quite true.  I did "think of it" once, and the first print, a 24x36 was immediately scraped.  Notice I said "ONCE".  It took only one bad experience to learn that lesson.  Oh that I could always learn that easily.  A Nozzle Check(not auto) is indeed your best friend, and it costs next to nothing.  However, it can save a lot in the long run.

Gary       

elliot_n

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 02:48:58 pm »

It's possible that the PK cartridge is empty and the printer hasn't noticed.

Garnick

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 03:17:20 pm »

How often do you head cleaning if you print every day?  Just out of curiosity?

Hello Judy,

I only run a print head cleaning cycle if the nozzle check shows a gap in any of the channels.  Even then it is not always going to affect the print, depending on where the gap is situated.  I  think perhaps what you are asking is, does the fact that the printer is being used daily make a difference?  My answer to that would be a definite YES.  I don't know about the other major printers(Canon & HP), but the Epson printers have always been known to benefit from regular use.  I will say that with my somewhat short experience with the P7000 I have found it to be less prone to "clogging" issues than any of the previous Epsons I've used.  Wayne Fox, who also posts on this forum has made the same observation with the SC P series printers, and he has been using them longer than I have at this point.  However, even if I have a day in which I have no customer work to print, I always make sure I run a nozzle check and print my standard Atkinson image to keep the nozzles active.

Hope this helps,
Gary
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:26:00 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

pearlstreet

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 04:10:28 pm »

I have the Epson Sc p800 and I don't print everyday.  I do a nozzle check before printing and clean if the nozzle check has gaps.

rdonson

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 06:15:00 pm »

I haven't printed in a month.  Today I printed a nozzle check and it was clean so I just started printing.  No issues. 

Now, I must say that I live in NC, US and it's not exactly an arid zone.  The humidity in the house rarely drops much below 60% in the summer.  In the winter I have a humidifier that works to keep the humidity at 50%.
Regards,
Ron

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 08:18:37 pm »

On my dearly departed Epson 3800 (NOT the 3880), I often left it for a month or two without printing and almost never did a nozzle check.
After I ruined a few prints that way, I decided to get in the habit of regular nozzle checks. Then my 3800 completely dies and I got my P800, and I now do nozzle checks regularly.

Cleaning? I probably did it about three times in the six or seven years that I owned the 3800. On the P800, I will do it if and when a nozzle check fails, but not before.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

mearussi

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 08:23:29 pm »

I've been burned by Epson printers too many times not to do a nozzle check every single day. Saying that I've never used the latest printers so hopefully they are much better (but I'd still do a daily nozzle check anyway).

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 08:31:30 pm »

so what printer are you using now?or,are you still with the P800?

mearussi

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 08:56:55 pm »

so what printer are you using now?or,are you still with the P800?
If you're directing the question to me I have three printers, a 7800, 9600 and 9900. The 9900 is especially prone to head clogging. In fact it's undergoing a head soak at the moment to dissolve any residual dried pigment floating around in the head (only way to get rid of it). So far it has worked very well, but I haven't put ink back in it yet. 

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 09:14:24 pm »

WOW,very nice Judy
Can you give my your impressions on the P800,I'm thinking of getting it ,myself

Thanks,
Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up