Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Border sizes with Canon IPF5000  (Read 3699 times)

TonyKarp

Border sizes with Canon IPF5000
« on: September 05, 2006, 11:42:30 am »

If you feed the same size of cut sheet from the cassette and from the tray, you will get different size borders for each feed source.

For instance, if you feed a letter size piece of paper from the cassette, you can have a border of about 1/8" on all four borders.

If you feed the same size paper from the tray (manual feed at top of printer), the printer will put a border of about 1/2" on the trailing edge of the paper.

Seems strange, as the printer will probably use the same feed mechanics in both cases.

I tried fooling the printer by telling it the paper was 1/2" longer than its real size (this works with Epson printers), but no luck. The printer detects the true paper size and overrides your attempt to fool it.

I want to print 17 x 22 cut sheets (310 GSM) with a 1/4" margin on top and bottom, but there does not seem to be a way to do this.

I'm probably missing something obvious. Any suggestions?

marcmccalmont

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 10:18:47 pm »

I've got the same issue I wish Canon would re-write the plugin and let you select paper type, feed, margins etc consistantly and all from the computer. I hope Canon reads these forums Marc
Marc McCalmont

jamie_m_

• http://www.mymoodphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 07:26:04 am »

I've got the same issue I wish Canon would re-write the plugin and let you select paper type, feed, margins etc consistantly and all from the computer. I hope Canon reads these forums Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75635\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is a "reason" for the different border sizes.

The cassette and manual feed paths are different, and mechanically the printer handles the paper differently, so the border sizes are different.

The manual feed path is also/mostly used for roll feed and for roll feed there is more paper outside the printed area to grip the paper.

There is a way to print 17x22 as long as the paper is thick/heavy enough. Select POP Board as the media and a 4th paper path is opened, feed from the front into a slot that is opened by th printer about an inch above the cassette.
MyMoodPhotography
[url=http://www.mymood

TonyKarp

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 09:58:45 am »

There is a "reason" for the different border sizes.

The cassette and manual feed paths are different, and mechanically the printer handles the paper differently, so the border sizes are different.

The manual feed path is also/mostly used for roll feed and for roll feed there is more paper outside the printed area to grip the paper.
I took a look inside the printer. The route into the printer may be different, but once the rollers grab the paper, the print path appears to be the same. The main difference is that the cassette is limited to thinner papers because its path has a narrow bending radius on the way into the printer.

I don't think that your explanation covers how cut sheets from the cassette can have a smaller trailing margin than the identical cut sheets fed from the tray.

jamie_m_

• http://www.mymoodphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 03:06:47 am »

I took a look inside the printer. The route into the printer may be different, but once the rollers grab the paper, the print path appears to be the same. The main difference is that the cassette is limited to thinner papers because its path has a narrow bending radius on the way into the printer.

I don't think that your explanation covers how cut sheets from the cassette can have a smaller trailing margin than the identical cut sheets fed from the tray.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75781\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can only pass on the information provided by the head technican of Velmex (the main Canon distributor in the UK) when he spent an afternoon with me on Tuesday explaining all the issues and quirks of the iPF5000

Paper source and its effect on borders and border size was one of the areas he covered in some depth. Of course it is possible he was making things up as he went along as he is just as affected as the rest of the world by Canon's poor documentation.
MyMoodPhotography
[url=http://www.mymood
Pages: [1]   Go Up