Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P7000 - Not centering prints  (Read 2116 times)

Garnick

P7000 - Not centering prints
« on: August 31, 2017, 08:38:43 am »

Hello all,

Before calling Epson, I thought I would see if any you folks have come across this "issue", and if so, have you found a permanent fix?  After my move and downsizing my business I took possession of a P7000 to replace my former 9900.  I've been very happy with the printer except for one rather small annoyance.  I have noticed that it will not center the images on any of the sheet sizes I use, nor on roll paper of course.  For the most part this is not a major issue, except when printing borderless.  A few days ago I was printing some 24x30 prints and it took a considerable amount of time and paper to figure out how to eliminate the small border on the left edge(as it exits the printer) of the print.  I did finally find a fix, simply by resetting the left edge margin after first centering the image in the print dialog.  A procedure I have never had to do on any of my former printers when printing borderless.  Nevertheless, it did temporarily suit my needs for that particular job.  I would, however, like to solve this "mystery" once and forever if that's possible.  I have set all of the control panel preferences as usual, anything that might influence the centering of an image for printing.  As mentioned, barring any possible fixes here my next "call" will be to Epson. 

Thank you for "listening"  :)

Gary         
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

funfoto

Re: P7000 - Not centering prints
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 02:48:35 pm »

I've had Epson 24" printers since the 7600, 7700, 7800 and two 7900s, and I never had one that would center the print correctly with equal right/left borders.  When I complained to Epson, they said it was within tolerance.  I always had to move the image over manually in the printer dialogue...I feel your pain...very annoying.  Strange they can't fix such a simple problem on such a technically advanced piece of equipment...or they don't care. 
I've since switched to Canon for multiple reasons, but an added perk is the ability of their printers to actually center an image on the paper.
Wow...a miracle!  Who would have ever thought that possible!

Garnick

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 03:14:33 pm »

I've had Epson 24" printers since the 7600, 7700, 7800 and two 7900s, and I never had one that would center the print correctly with equal right/left borders.  When I complained to Epson, they said it was within tolerance.  I always had to move the image over manually in the printer dialogue...I feel your pain...very annoying.  Strange they can't fix such a simple problem on such a technically advanced piece of equipment...or they don't care. 
I've since switched to Canon for multiple reasons, but an added perk is the ability of their printers to actually center an image on the paper.
Wow...a miracle!  Who would have ever thought that possible!

Hmmm...Well, I will admit that the Epson printers I've had(4000, 7600, 9900) were not perfect in this sense, but I definitely had no problems with borderless printing on any of those models.  As a matter of fact they were really very good with centering, but not this one, for some unknown reason.  Well, unknown to me at least.  Interesting that canon seems to have conquered that particular issue, but I have no intent of putting the new P7000 on the market just to turn it in for a Canon.  Casting no aspersions toward Canon of course, I've read a lot of good comments about their printers.  At this stage of my life, except for some presently unknown reason, I'm not about to change.

Gary   

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:39:32 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 05:27:46 pm »

when printing borderless which setting did you use?  If you use borderless (retain size) you have to send an image size that is larger than the output size.  If you don’t the image area isn’t large to enough to bleed over the edge of the paper.

Using borderless (auto expand) should result in no borders.  I have never seen any degradation in quality using this. To get borderless top and bottom on the 7000, you have to use roll paper and then enable the double cut option, which should result in a near perfectly sized borderless print, or trim it yourself.  It will print enough bleed that you can trim into the print slightly if you use this option.

Garnick

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 05:55:37 pm »

when printing borderless which setting did you use?  If you use borderless (retain size) you have to send an image size that is larger than the output size.  If you don’t the image area isn’t large to enough to bleed over the edge of the paper.

Using borderless (auto expand) should result in no borders.  I have never seen any degradation in quality using this. To get borderless top and bottom on the 7000, you have to use roll paper and then enable the double cut option, which should result in a near perfectly sized borderless print, or trim it yourself.  It will print enough bleed that you can trim into the print slightly if you use this option.

Thanks for the reply Wayne.  I've printing borderless for many years and with three different printers(7600, 9900 and now P7000), and I've also used the Boderless (retain size ) setting with no issue at all until the P7000 and its inability to center prints on any size paper, sheet or roll.  Of course I've always enlarged the image to accommodate the bleed on both sides of the roll, so that's not an issue.  I recently printed a borderless job on the P7000, the first one with this printer.  I did find a workaround for the issue, in which I adjust the left margin in the final printer window to -0.0, and that seems to take care of the problem I was having.  However, if I can somehow overcome the off-center printing issue itself, I believe that would also take care of the borderless printing issue, with no added margin adjustments.  I did finally try the Borderless (auto expand), but it seemed to expand too much and there was a slight amount of distortion along the edge.  I'll try that again and see what I can do to eliminate the distortion.

Another thing I've noticed about the P7000, or at least the User Guide.  There seems to be little or no information on how to set up an image to print with the Borderless (Retain Size) option.  No info conerning the amount of enlargement one has to add to an image in order to accommodate the bleed, or how to set up the paper size with the extra sizing for borderless(+.23").  As a matter of fact the 9900 manual didn't have all of the information either, so I used the settings from the P7600 guide, which was very comprehensive as far as borderless printing is concerned. 

Gary         

Gary N.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 11:06:08 pm »

I think you are at the point of your original posts first statement - time to call Epson (if you haven't already). You certainly shouldn't have to jump through hoops to print a borderless print.

Garnick

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 11:27:49 pm »

I think you are at the point of your original posts first statement - time to call Epson (if you haven't already). You certainly shouldn't have to jump through hoops to print a borderless print.

I think you're correct Wayne.  Thanks again for the reply.

Gary
Gary N.
Pages: [1]   Go Up