Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm stuck in a very stupid situation, Please help!  (Read 8392 times)

Doug Gray

Re: I'm stuck in a very stupid situation, Please help!
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 06:14:41 pm »

I don't understand that why go through the exercise of adding noise. I already gave a solution to bloat the file size to any desired number without compromising on quality at all. It is a couple of messages above.

Because a small amount of noise reduces jpeg compression blocking (posterization) when going from a 16 bit tif or photoshop image files to jpeg. It may sound bad but it can really help subtle, slow gradient changes when you have to convert to jpeg and you are already at Photoshop's "max" quality of 12.

joofa

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 06:21:33 pm »

Because a small amount of noise reduces jpeg compression blocking (posterization) when going from a 16 bit tif or photoshop image files to jpeg. It may sound bad but it can really help subtle, slow gradient changes when you have to convert to jpeg and you are already at Photoshop's "max" quality of 12.

Yes, but I don't think that the OP asked a question regarding image enhancement. It was regarding file size expansion.

How much noise do you need to add to go from OP's 2.9M to 5M-10M requirement? Are you sure it will still be unnoticeable?  That is like over 2x - 3x the original JPEG file size.
Joofa
http://www.djjoofa.com
Download Photoshop and After Effects plugins

Doug Gray

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 06:41:04 pm »

Yes, but I don't think that the OP asked a question regarding image enhancement. It was regarding file size expansion.

How much noise do you need to add to go from OP's 2.9M to 5M-10M requirement? Are you sure it will still be unnoticeable?  That is like over 2x - 3x the original JPEG file size.

Depends on the image but typically it takes very little noise to double the file size. It's also not an image enhancement as much as it is a restoration of the smoother appearing gradients in the original at the cost of a larger file size. Jpeg compression, which is lossy, can be pretty brutal because of its design goal of small size back when that really mattered decades ago.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2017, 08:20:16 pm »

I don't understand that why go through the exercise of adding noise. I already gave a solution to bloat the file size to any desired number without compromising on quality at all. It is a couple of messages above.

Don't you think this is beginning to be a joke thread? I mean really! Coding?! Just to make the image fit some minimal size requirement? You know I read your comment.

Hopefully someone will post a link to this thread in an email to the contest officials making this silly, stupid rule and we can all have a laugh afterwards. Ha! Ha! Ha! It is to laugh!

Daverich

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2017, 07:29:01 am »

Each applicant can only enter once in each cycle.Each submission must consist of a series of up to 10 images and captions, Project Statement, Biography and Personal Data. Images uploaded to the competition website must be a minimum of 5 megabytes and not exceed the maximum size of 10 megabytes, in JPEG/JPG format. If your work is voted to the shortlist of finalists, you will be asked to submit a high-resolution version of all images within 7 days of notification.

Their website has a script to detect your file size before upload

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Googled the submission requirements exactly as you wrote them and this is the one contest that came up. If this is the right one they responded to my request of info that it is File Size, not .jpg size they are referring to.

aaronchan

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2017, 10:51:16 am »

I Googled the submission requirements exactly as you wrote them and this is the one contest that came up. If this is the right one they responded to my request of info that it is File Size, not .jpg size they are referring to.

Trust me
I have went through everything
And I'm pretty sure the who answered your question doesn't know the difference between actual file size vs jpg size.

Anyway, I just submitted my work by resizing them in a super big size, 10k pixel by 80k pixel.

But I am sure I will write them a technical article about what just happened to me.

Thanks
Aaron

Daverich

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2017, 11:44:58 am »

Trust me
I have went through everything
And I'm pretty sure the who answered your question doesn't know the difference between actual file size vs jpg size.

Anyway, I just submitted my work by resizing them in a super big size, 10k pixel by 80k pixel.

But I am sure I will write them a technical article about what just happened to me.

Thanks
Aaron

In my earlier post I ended up with a .jpg that met what you claimed were their requirements of a 5 to 10 megabyte .jpg with a image that was 35 Megabytes in size. You just sent them a 2 1/4 GIGAbyte image. Why bother having a size requirement at all if that's acceptable? Looking at their web site and the quality of the images that have been submitted in the past as well as the judges and other people involved in the contest I can't imagine that the person answering technical questions via their contact form doesn't understand something as basic as the one I asked. But it's no skin off my nose, I'm not planning on submitting an image. You have your answer, choose to accept it or not, it's up to you.

DaveOffutt

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2017, 01:41:44 pm »

Have you tried increasing the Image Resolution?  I was able to increase a 40kb JPG to 9MB by simply increasing the resolution from 72 to 1000 pixels/inch while keeping the image dimensions the same.

Your 2.9MB JPG would need its resolution increased by a factor of about 2x to get it in the 5-10MB range.

Increasing the resolution has no real impact on a JPG other than making it more difficult to edit later.
Dave Offutt
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up