Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Perce Rock in Gaspe, Quebec  (Read 1789 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Perce Rock in Gaspe, Quebec
« on: August 30, 2017, 03:58:36 pm »

Perce Rock in Gaspe, Quebec on a foggy morning.
The little dots on the bottom and around edge of the rock are people who can walk at the low tide right up to the pierced hole
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 12:57:41 am by LesPalenik »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Perce Rock in Gaspe, Quebec
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 12:59:20 am »

Same rock - but two days later, on a sunny afternoon and from a different angle

francois

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 09:23:56 am »

I prefer the first version it's so much more mysterious. I guess that you didn't include the "sunny" one for artistic comparison, though.
Francois

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 05:23:01 pm »

Thank you, Francois. Both versions are more of a documentary nature, for readers who haven't seen this unique rock formation.
It's a massive block, taking different shapes and moods depending on the weather and the shooting location. Here is another view, from the other side and from a considerable distance. Even at that distance, it demands a respect.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 07:45:10 pm »

Now that view I haven't seen before. Nice.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 02:11:19 am »

Thank you very much, Eric

Here is another view which you most probably haven't seen. View of the beach, not the rock. The coastline in Perce and in some other areas on Gaspe coast have been seriously eroded during the last few winters. Because there is not so much ice in the ocean in the recent years, the waves during the winter storms can get quite strong and destructive.

In Perce, several buildings that had the best view of Perce Rock collapsed and were washed away. The land owners and the town authorities are still repairing and stabilizing the beach and the shoreline (see the attached picture). Hopefully, the locals will be able to reclaim their coast. But I'm afraid that the nature will win at the end.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 04:43:24 am by LesPalenik »

Leszek Piotrowski

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 06:23:39 pm »

From what I have followed on the current beach erosion at Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii,.. seems Canada is not the only place we should be concerned about!
Thanks for posting what the "real" place looks like today.
Leszek, G

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 10:47:46 pm »

You are most welcome, Leszek

Seeing the eroded and devastated Gaspe coastline on my own eyes was utmost shocking. In Perce it was the beach and destroyed buildings, a few hours further north a whole section of the coastal road, and then I stopped at one cliffside picnic site where a whole cliff side fell down. No way to bring that back, and I won't be surprised if the rest of that picnic site will go down next.

Warmer temperatures in recent years mean the surrounding waters are more often ice-free, leaving the eastern Quebec island chain at the mercy of battering waves that eat away at the coastline and put vital infrastructure at risk.

"When I was young and came home to the islands for Christmas, as of January the islands were surrounded, we were trapped in the ice,'' Serge Bourgeois, planning director for the municipality, said in an interview. "Now, the difference is so palpable that we're more likely to remember winters when there is ice than those when there isn't.''

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/storm-battered-coastal-quebec-towns-try-to-get-ahead-of-erosion-flooding-risks-1.4273835   

and now we see other effects of ocean warming in the south

As Harvey approached the Texas coast last week, the Gulf ocean temperature rose 2.7 to 7.2 degrees Fahrenheit above average. “That provided a deep, warm pool of water used as fuel,” says Dalia Kirschbaum, a research scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center who studies hurricane hydrology. Harvey used this hot spot to shift from a tropical depression to a category 4 hurricane in roughly 48 hours.

https://www.wired.com/story/what-are-the-odds-of-a-super-storm-like-harvey/
Pages: [1]   Go Up