Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica SL or Fujifilm GFX 50  (Read 12716 times)

rollsman44

Leica SL or Fujifilm GFX 50
« on: August 30, 2017, 12:39:54 pm »

Looking at Used Prices on both they are relatively close in price and so are the lenses.  I shoot mainly Portraits and Social groups, family groups.  Or is there another suggestion for me that will keep the cost down. Thank you

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Leica SL or Fujifilm GFX 50
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 07:14:01 am »

A D850 is so much more camera than the SL at half the price that I surprised Leica still keeps the SL on sales.

Cheers,
Bernard

rollsman44

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 07:26:31 am »

I was trying to stay with Medium format but will look into this and see what its all about. Thank you kindly

billthecat

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 10:18:14 am »

I wonder if you meant to say the Leica S instead of the SL. The Leica SL is small format, and the Leica S medium format. The GFX will give a more medium format look over the SL with its larger sensor. I've been looking into getting a GFX instead of a X1D even though I like the appearance of the X1D.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 11:16:49 am »

I wonder if you meant to say the Leica S instead of the SL. The Leica SL is small format, and the Leica S medium format. The GFX will give a more medium format look over the SL with its larger sensor. I've been looking into getting a GFX instead of a X1D even though I like the appearance of the X1D.

Leica S lenses aren't priced like the Fuji G lenses, so I'm thinking the OP was talking about the SL. I'm not sure why a 24 MP FF camera is being cross-shopped with a 51 MP 33x44 mm one, though.

By the way, when I looked up current S lens pricing to make sure there hadn't been a sudden drop in S lens retail, I noticed that a new copy of the 120 macro was selling for $8200 at B&H, and they were selling a used one for $3800. I suspect that the disparity may have to do with the introduction of the GFX.

BTW, a new Fuji 120 macro for the GFX is $2700.

And, I just checked: even Leica SL lenses are a lot more expensive than G lenses, so now I'm confused as to what the OP meant.

Jim

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 11:23:37 am »

It is sad Leica does not have a camera that can show the real quality of the S line lenses.
Can they be used on the Fuji?
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 11:36:56 am »

It is sad Leica does not have a camera that can show the real quality of the S line lenses.
Can they be used on the Fuji?

Looks like they can:

https://fotodioxpro.com/products/leicas-gfx-pro

Jim

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 12:45:17 pm »

For the cost difference, (unless the photographer already owns the S mount glass), I just can't see the S mount glass being any sharper than what Fuji has already produced.    SL (35mm) will have the same issues that other 35mm lenses have, due to much smaller IC unless for some reason Lecia has a larger IC than Canon or Nikon.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 01:18:01 pm »

For the cost difference, (unless the photographer already owns the S mount glass), I just can't see the S mount glass being any sharper than what Fuji has already produced.   

But they do have focal lengths available that you can't yet get from Fuji...

Jim

wallpaperviking

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 03:58:37 pm »

Looks like they can:

https://fotodioxpro.com/products/leicas-gfx-pro

Jim

Is that link just for the 35mm lenses?  It is confusing as the ad states "S (LS)" lenses?  What does that even mean?  Those two cameras surely do not share the same lens mount right?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 04:10:56 pm »

Is that link just for the 35mm lenses?  It is confusing as the ad states "S (LS)" lenses?  What does that even mean?  Those two cameras surely do not share the same lens mount right?

Hi Jim.

Besides the 180mm what other focal lengths?  I count the 32-64 for its full range at least for my work.

Now with the 23mm and 110mm out Fuji should be close.

Paul Caldwe
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 04:23:10 pm »

Hi Jim.

Besides the 180mm what other focal lengths?  I count the 32-64 for its full range at least for my work.

Now with the 23mm and 110mm out Fuji should be close.

If you consider the 32-64 a prime replacement -- and I can see why you would -- then just that one.

Jim

rollsman44

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 06:09:48 pm »

Let me correct my statement. I meant I would like the Leica SL or the GFX 50.  My issue is the Price of the Leica Glass vs Fuji GFX glass
   Then my next thought was just to buy a Pentax 645D and a few of their lenses and Cheaper yet. I know the IQ on the Pentax lenses are very good and maybe Not as good as the Fuji or Leica glass But for the Price and IQ It will be ok for me. Its more now for my personal use and NOT for business.  I appreciate any suggestions from the forum.  Thank you everyone for sharing your ideas and knowledge

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 06:25:35 pm »

Let me correct my statement. I meant I would like the Leica SL or the GFX 50.  My issue is the Price of the Leica Glass vs Fuji GFX glass
   Then my next thought was just to buy a Pentax 645D and a few of their lenses and Cheaper yet. I know the IQ on the Pentax lenses are very good and maybe Not as good as the Fuji or Leica glass But for the Price and IQ It will be ok for me. Its more now for my personal use and NOT for business.  I appreciate any suggestions from the forum.  Thank you everyone for sharing your ideas and knowledge

What is attractive to you about the Leica SL? It's a FF camera. Would that be OK for what you want to do? If the answer is yes, then there are many other FF cameras you might want to consider. Is 24 MP enough for what you want to do?

What is attractive to you about the 645D besides the price? It's a CCD camera, with all that implies about DR.

Jim

Joe Towner

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 06:39:00 pm »

Dennis has had the 645D and the H3DII-39 - http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=119231.msg991245#msg991245

I'm not sure if his 5K budget went up, but the hem and haw seems to be indecisiveness.
t: @PNWMF

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 08:41:08 pm »

If the price issue (Leica is expensive it must be great, Fuji is moderately expensive so it must just be OK), is holding you up, I would try the either of the following, either rent a GFX and 1 lens or buy and try.  The QA on the Fuji lenses is outstanding.  Just amazing.  Will they hold up to 100MP, when that comes next year, anyones guess.  But the 5 lenses that are shipping are all excellent.  Jim's blog has some great reviews. 

www.lensrentals.com is a great place to look for rentals if you are in the US.

The Hasselblad X1D lenses albeit more expensive than the similar GFX glass have also shown to be excellent optics.

Both systems were well thought out. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 10:20:25 pm »

I was trying to stay with Medium format but will look into this and see what its all about. Thank you kindly

I answered along these lines because the SL is not an MF camera, it is a 35mm sensor and a pretty average sensor in my view.

To me the only possible appeal of the SL is the M lenses, because the native SL lenses seem to be good but not amazingly so. On the other hand they are both very bulky and very pricey.

I believe it looses compared to the D850 and Nikon lenses on pretty much all accounts in absolute performance... while being twice more expensive.

If you think that small MF is required, I would most definitely go the GFX way. It is slightly better than the D850 in image quality, while being much worse in various usability aspects. Your applications will decide which is the preferred option.

Cheers,
Bernard

EinstStein

Get the popular Leica to GFX adapter Re: Leica SL or Fujifilm GFX 50
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 02:29:02 am »

Using Leica lenses on GFX is very popular, but not the other around.
So the best bet is to get Leica lenses, thenit does not matter which camera body.

rollsman44

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 07:44:50 am »

I appreciate all the Great feedback.  I had the 645D and The Hassy MF and sold them for Financial reasons.  Now on back on the trail
   Now its for MY Personal use. So I am trying to stay within a budget. I just might wait till Photo Expo in NYC in Oct and see what happens with either NEW equipment or MF camera systems coming down in price.  Thank you

Rdmax

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 02:51:48 pm »

I assume OP is comparing the two because they're mirrorless.

The SL seems okay as an action camera, but there are other systems like Nikon or Canon that do that better. And with the new Sony A9 it's harder to justify the SL.

If you don't print large, I guess 24MP is enough.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up