Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lr - fix sort options  (Read 4715 times)

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
Lr - fix sort options
« on: August 30, 2017, 08:01:52 am »

Hello,

each time I use lightroom (CC 2015.12) , I have to change the sort options for the images back from sort added ordert to sort by capture time. Is there any way to fix this change so it will be persistent ?
My OS is Mac OSx 10.12.6 on a late 2013 Macbook pro.

Many thanks in advance !

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

rdonson

Re: Lr - fix sort options
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 09:46:08 am »

Not that I'm aware of.  I like to sort mine by filename and have the same problem.

Maybe John Beardsworth has a solution.
Regards,
Ron

Rendezvous

• Daniel Talbot Photo Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 05:48:24 pm »

I have the same issue. Last time I asked about it, it was suggested that I delete the preferences file. Doing that fixed it, but it also reset everything else, so I restored it and I still live with the issue.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 08:09:46 pm »

Still an issue with me, as well. It's something that should have a straightforward fix, especially as i don't remember it being this way with earlier versions.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

MBehrens

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 12:50:43 am »

In the Library Module the Sort Order is stored per folder and saved in the DB, the AgFolderContent table (see attached). The default SO seems to be "Capture Time" despite the value of the AgLibrary_defaultSortType in the Lightroom 6 Preferences.agprefs file. The value stored in the preferences is the value of the currently selected folder's SO on exit. But this value does not seem to have any bearing on what SO a new folder will use, so it seems to be useless. I was hoping that I could set the preference file to a value and have it use it for new folders, but that was not the case.

The Import dialog Sort Order is stored in the preferences file - AgImport_defaultSortOrder. And is updated with the value of the last completed Import session. This seems to stick and not be saved anywhere else.

I wasn't aware of this feature until I started looking into this tonight. I think I would like to have the same sort order for everything - File Name in my case. But am always careful about what I ask for. SO by Folder may have some utility, although I have never used any of the others. My file naming convention is better than Capture Time (YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS_IMGNUM) with the image number sequencing files within the same second, so File Name is my go to SO.

This "By Folder SO" is a feature that I suspect contributes to the slow image count display that I complained about in Ron's discussion. But I still think it could be much quicker.

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 12:59:40 am »

In the Library Module the Sort Order is stored per folder and saved in the DB, the AgFolderContent table (see attached). The default SO seems to be "Capture Time" despite the value of the AgLibrary_defaultSortType in the Lightroom 6 Preferences.agprefs file. The value stored in the preferences is the value of the currently selected folder's SO on exit. But this value does not seem to have any bearing on what SO a new folder will use, so it seems to be useless. I was hoping that I could set the preference file to a value and have it use it for new folders, but that was not the case.

The Import dialog Sort Order is stored in the preferences file - AgImport_defaultSortOrder. And is updated with the value of the last completed Import session. This seems to stick and not be saved anywhere else.

I wasn't aware of this feature until I started looking into this tonight. I think I would like to have the same sort order for everything - File Name in my case. But am always careful about what I ask for. SO by Folder may have some utility, although I have never used any of the others. My file naming convention is better than Capture Time (YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS_IMGNUM) with the image number sequencing files within the same second, so File Name is my go to SO.

This "By Folder SO" is a feature that I suspect contributes to the slow image count display that I complained about in Ron's discussion. But I still think it could be much quicker.

Thank you for your extensive answer which showed up exactly my problem !
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 09:34:51 am »

Thanks for your investigative work!

I think it might make a nice option for us to choose SO globally, by folder or other some other option.  It's a time waster the way it is. 
Regards,
Ron

MBehrens

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 10:10:26 am »

I'll post a problem report on the Adobe forum.

1. Need a way to set the Library Default Sort Order in Preferences. The value in the .agprefs file already exists.
2. Use it on new folder creation.
3. Don't over-write it with the currently selected folders setting on exit.

Maybe it will get some traction.

leuallen

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 01:10:25 pm »

I hate the way LR tries to out think me. 99% of the time it is wrong. I have two screens. I set a mode on the second screen and then change the mode on the first. Damn LR often changes the mode of the second screen when this change is made. If I set the second monitor for grid, I want it to stay grid until I change it, not because the first screen was changed. All this auto crap is so frustrating. I spend too much time switching between Library and Develop just because I have to change the sort order back to what I want, Capture Time.

Larry

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 02:25:29 pm »

In the Library Module the Sort Order is stored per folder and saved in the DB, the AgFolderContent table (see attached).

Out of interest, what program did you use to view the database?

Jeremy

rdonson

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 09:22:46 am »

I'll post a problem report on the Adobe forum.

1. Need a way to set the Library Default Sort Order in Preferences. The value in the .agprefs file already exists.
2. Use it on new folder creation.
3. Don't over-write it with the currently selected folders setting on exit.

Maybe it will get some traction.

Thanks for taking the initiative to post it!
Regards,
Ron

MBehrens

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 12:08:38 pm »

Out of interest, what program did you use to view the database?

SQLite Expert - Personal
http://www.sqliteexpert.com/download.html

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 12:53:26 pm »

SQLite Expert - Personal
http://www.sqliteexpert.com/download.html

Thanks. I'll have to find a Mac equivalent, sadly.

Jeremy

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 01:18:51 pm »

I use SQLLite Manager on both Mac and PC.

John

rdonson

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 10:24:00 am »

I use SQLLite Manager on both Mac and PC.

John

Thanks, John.  Did you get SQLLite Manager in the Mac App Store?
Regards,
Ron

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 12:16:50 pm »

No, Ron, as a Firefox plugin. I can't recall why, but being cross platform was probably my reason.

John

rdonson

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 06:09:32 pm »

Thanks, John.
Regards,
Ron

MBehrens

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 07:01:22 pm »

Another aspect of this that I've discovered is that a new folder will inherit its sort order from its parent.

I use a very structured Year Month Day Description structure ( ...\YYYY\MM-DD_Description ) and as soon as I set the YYYY folder to my preferred sort order I always get a consistent "default".

TonyW

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 10:19:30 am »

Thanks. I'll have to find a Mac equivalent, sadly.

Jeremy
If you only need a simple standalone app. for Mac and Windows then DB Browser for SQLite may be useful
http://sqlitebrowser.org/
Pages: [1]   Go Up