Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lr not exporting properly from stack  (Read 2797 times)

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
Lr not exporting properly from stack
« on: August 30, 2017, 07:54:38 am »

Hello,

when I try to export images which are grouped in a stack, Lr exports just exports the top image, but not all images contained within the stack. When the stack is flattened and all images are marked, the export function runs as expected.
This happens to the most recent version of LightRoom CC 2015.12, don't know if older versions are also affected. My OS is Mac OSx 10.12.6 on a late 2013 Macbook pro.

Does anyone else have the same problem r is this related to my system ?

BR Robert

'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
Re: Lr not exporting properly from stack
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 10:17:06 am »

Expected behavior:

First selected - rest expanded but not selected: will export only selected image.
Collapsed with stack selected: will export only the top image.

Stacks must be expanded and items need to be selected in order for them all to be exported.

Does this match your behavior?
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

Robert-Peter Westphal

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 12:09:56 pm »

Expected behavior:

First selected - rest expanded but not selected: will export only selected image.
Collapsed with stack selected: will export only the top image.

Stacks must be expanded and items need to be selected in order for them all to be exported.

Does this match your behavior?
Thanks for the fast reply Rikk,

When doing a 'Edit in' or 'Photomerge', it sends all images of a stack to the appropriate application.

To me, this is not stringent, all functions executed on a stack should affect all included images.

Best wishes Robert
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 12:33:40 pm by Robert-Peter Westphal »
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

RikkFlohr

• Rikk Flohr's Website
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 12:33:09 pm »

With Edit In PS and Photo Merge you don't risk changing the original file's metadata (Ratings, Edit, Etc)
Rikk Flohr
Adobe

Robert-Peter Westphal

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 12:35:45 pm »

With Edit In PS and Photo Merge you don't risk changing the original file's metadata (Ratings, Edit, Etc)

Sorry, I do not understand : When I do an export of files, I do not any chnages to the 'master files', but create new files based on the master files.

BR Robert

RikkFlohr

• Rikk Flohr's Website
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 12:54:23 pm »

No. But you might end up with 1000 unexpected exported files...

There are many reasons why it is the way it is. I am just pointing out a couple of examples.

For example, would you expect a 100 image stack to publish to Facebook? A 20 image stack to print to 17x22? Could be disastrous.
Rikk Flohr
Adobe

Robert-Peter Westphal

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 01:07:05 pm »

Hello Rikk,

thank you for your answer and your time answering to my ideas !

To keep up with your example, when having a stack with 200 included images and chose accidentally edit in PS, it will also cause you to wait for the export of all the images or having to cancel this function as well.

So, the behavior of a stack is different, and to my feeling, it should be the same for all.

I will try to convert this to an idea to see what will happen.

Best wishes Robert

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 05:38:21 am »

Think of stacking as hiding those lower down in the stack. How merge works is an exception, introduced much later.

FabienP

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 05:55:24 pm »

I noticed the same behaviour when assigning keywords to images in a stack: only the top picture gets the keywords. Thus it is necessary to make bulk keywording before building stacks.

Even if this is consistent, I still wonder what was the driving reason behind this behaviour. In my workflow with stitched images, I like putting all images in a stack before doing some other work with them. As it turns out, this is not the intended way of working with stacks. Building stacks should be the last processing step, which makes tracking individual images belonging to the same group difficult.

Cheers,

Fabien

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 04:51:15 am »

I noticed the same behaviour when assigning keywords to images in a stack: only the top picture gets the keywords. Thus it is necessary to make bulk keywording before building stacks.

Even if this is consistent, I still wonder what was the driving reason behind this behaviour. In my workflow with stitched images, I like putting all images in a stack before doing some other work with them. As it turns out, this is not the intended way of working with stacks. Building stacks should be the last processing step, which makes tracking individual images belonging to the same group difficult.

You do know about the ability to expand stacks, don't you?

Jeremy

leuallen

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 10:34:50 am »

The problem with contracted stacks not getting the same information as the top of the stack is solved by using the plug-in Syncomatic - Sync Stacks by John Beardsworth. About $10.00

I delete files by flag status. I often have stacks which has the top picture flagged and the other pictures not. The unflagged stacked pictures run the risk of being deleted so before doing any deleting I select All and run Syncomatic - Sync Stacks with the flag status only checked. Then all the stacked photos will be flagged regardless if the were in an expanded or contracted state. 

Another tip for stacks. I label all the HDR and panorama component pictures in a stack purple. Therefore when I see a purple label image I know not to delete it because it is used in processing an HDR or panorama. Otherwise is is possible to delete a badly underexposed image not realizing that is part of an HDR process.

Larry

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 12:58:25 pm »

Even if this is consistent, I still wonder what was the driving reason behind this behaviour.

The original concept of stacks was to show only the best image that is intended for further processing/use, so the other frames are hidden and you have various shortcuts to move images up and down within the stack. Imagine shooting variations on a portrait or a scene, only one of which is going to be chosen for print / portfolio / publication etc. When you understand this underlying "best of burst" concept lay behind stacks, the rest falls into place and is consistent - and you can then see how merge is inconsistent.

The trouble is, people quickly found stacks useful for other purposes - essentially grouping related pictures. So it's maybe more common to use stacks to group related photos such as HDR or panorama than it is to use the original concept. In this case you do often want metadata to be applied to the hidden items, and have stacked photos automatically stacked in collections etc. Adobe and others have never caught up with how people use stacks.

I do the same as Larry, using green for HDR/panorama or other multi-frame techniques, and I do this ASAP - there's little worse than starting to do a panorama and finding you have deleted one of the frames because it looked oddly-composed. A colour label just gives you a quick hint that a file is intended for use in a merge.

John
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 01:01:30 pm by john beardsworth »

FabienP

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 03:20:18 pm »

Thanks Jeremy, Larry and John for your inputs about using stacks!

As I am currently not using any colour tags, I will try the suggested technique for marking multi-frame shots and revise my workflow for bulk keyword assignment.

Cheers,

Fabien
Pages: [1]   Go Up