Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Precise print sizing in CO 10  (Read 1526 times)

N80

Precise print sizing in CO 10
« on: August 29, 2017, 08:02:47 pm »

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to designate precise print sizing in CO. What I'm trying to do, which was very simple in LR (I think) is to precisely set one parameter of an image (width or height) in a fixed proportion image in order to get a print to fit in a specific matt size.

Messing with margins and cell sizes in the print dialog does not seem to allow this or at least I can't figure it out.

I also can't figure out how to reset margins, etc in the print dialog box. Would appreciate any help with this. I know I must be missing something obvious.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

N80

Re: Precise print sizing in CO 10
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 08:37:17 pm »

Someone in another thread suggested the Epson Print Layout app. Its not the answer to doing it all in CO but it does exactly what I was describing above. Have not used it yet but will report on it when I have a chance. I guess I'll have to export from CO in order to use it?
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

AndyS

• http://www.astannard.com
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 04:59:39 pm »

Hi,

I've been printing direct from CO10 onto my shiny new Epson P800 and been very pleased with the results. Realise your post is from a while back now, but happy to help if you're still having issues.

Not quite sure from your description whether the aspect ratio of your image already matches the aspect ratio of your matt? Are you saying that your image is, for example 3x2 ratio, but you're wanting to print into, for example, a 4x3 ratio to suit the matt?

I don't think you can get Capture One to crop your image within the print dialog. You can setup your desired cell size (e.g 8"x10") and then if your image doesn't already fit that cell you can get CO to 'zoom' the image to fill the cell - but this stretches it in either height or width as required.

My approach is normally to create a virtual copy of the image ('clone variant' in CO terminology) and crop it to the aspect ratio I need. This way I get full control over the positioning of the crop. In the print dialog I can then set my cell size as needed knowing thjat the aspect ratios will match.

Does any of that make any sense? :)

Thanks,
Andrew.

AndyS

• http://www.astannard.com
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 05:10:21 pm »

Hi again,

With regards to resetting the margins, the best way to do this is to set the margins how you wish and then save it as a new template using the drop down just above the margins settings. THis way you can go back to those margin settings whenever you wish.

Templates only save the marking/layout info though - unlike Lightroom where they save all the printer settings as well (would be great if CO could do this! Hint hint...)

My workflow is therefore to work from the top of the print dialog downwards:

1. Set sharpening (normally 15 for me), Colour Profile and Rendering Intent
2. Set Printer Settings (normally using my own presets I've created within the P800 driver software) Color management off in the printer!
3. Set margins and layout (using a CO template I've used the same layout before)
4. Print. I don't use the annotation or watermark features, so can't comment on those)

There's a thread running at the moment about using the 'printer manages color' route instead of profiles. I like using profiles and am delighted with the results I get. Others obviously prefer the output by letting the printer sort things out. Each to their own I say.

Andrew.

Andrew.
Pages: [1]   Go Up