Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting Canson Platine down to 11x14?  (Read 2306 times)

Fred Salamon

Cutting Canson Platine down to 11x14?
« on: August 29, 2017, 03:34:54 pm »

Anyone foresee any issues with cutting Canson Platine 11x17 or 13x19 sheets down to 11x14 using a Rototrim Mastercut?

I am assuming it is best to trim the paper down to size before printing.

Has anyone done this and run into any problems?

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Re: Cutting Canson Platine down to 11x14?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 03:57:24 pm »

I print and cut a few square meters of platine every week in the last seven years, both from rolls a and cut sheets.
Platine is a beautiful paper and you will not have problem with the cut itself, but the edge will flake a "dust" from the coating that is a pain. It will go everywhere and you will find yourself brushing it from the dark areas of your images.
Run your finger over the cut several times to remove as much as possible after the cut.

If you plan to print with borders I would say print first and cut later. If you plan printing borderless you should cut first and clean the cut as much as possible before printing. Cutting right at the edge of the printed image with this type of paper does not render nice edges.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 04:51:55 pm »

Fred,

I would back up another step.
If they are going in frames with mat and glass I would leave the white border for handling.
If they are to be mounted in a frame with no mat or border I would still trim them afterward. The rabbet will cover the edge.
If you are just selling the prints I would leave a nice white border around the edge. Let the framer trim if needed.
I personally never trim anything before printing. Takes away any fudge factor you might need later.

Rand47

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 05:44:56 pm »

Fred,

I would back up another step.
If they are going in frames with mat and glass I would leave the white border for handling.
If they are to be mounted in a frame with no mat or border I would still trim them afterward. The rabbet will cover the edge.
If you are just selling the prints I would leave a nice white border around the edge. Let the framer trim if needed.
I personally never trim anything before printing. Takes away any fudge factor you might need later.

I second Dan's approach.  Not to mention that cutting may introduce yet more debris into the printer unless you assiduously dust/wipe the cut edges first.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Fred Salamon

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 06:05:55 pm »

Dan, ordinarily I do not trim and just leave a large border as you suggest. Thank you for the advice.

The issue is that I need for the prints to fit into an 11x14 portfolio box. Since Canson doesn't offer Platine in 11x14 the simplest option I can see is trimming 11x17 sheets. The actual image sizes are approximately 8x12 so I will have plenty of border area

Geraldo and Rand, you make an excellent points regarding dust, paper debris and the printer, thank you both for your advice.

I think I can print on 11x17 and then trim to 11x14 by inserting the paper into the trimmer in such a way that the printed surface remains outside of the Rototrim and I just trim the one border. That way I hopefully won't scratch or damage the printed surface.  I print using Lightroom and I think I can set up the margins etc to make it easy to trim.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:25:22 pm by Fred Salamon »

patjoja

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 09:11:13 pm »

Dan, ordinarily I do not trim and just leave a large border as you suggest. Thank you for the advice.

The issue is that I need for the prints to fit into an 11x14 portfolio box. Since Canson doesn't offer Platine in 11x14 the simplest option I can see is trimming 11x17 sheets. The actual image sizes are approximately 8x12 so I will have plenty of border area

Geraldo and Rand, you make an excellent points regarding dust, paper debris and the printer, thank you both for your advice.

I think I can print on 11x17 and then trim to 11x14 by inserting the paper into the trimmer in such a way that the printed surface remains outside of the Rototrim and I just trim the one border. That way I hopefully won't scratch or damage the printed surface.  I print using Lightroom and I think I can set up the margins etc to make it easy to trim.

I print quite a few 8x12's on 11x14 Platine paper.  I have two Rototrim's, a 24" and a 40" but I've found that the old reliable guillotine style cutter works best.  I bought a 24" x 24" X-ACTO CUTTER for that purpose. The table has very convenient inch and mm markings that make cutting to exact sizes quick and easy.  The cuts are every bit as clean as the Rototrim. 

I use my 24" iPF6450 to print two 11x14's side by side and then finish trimming on the guillotine cutter. 

Regards,

Patrick

patjoja

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 09:18:57 pm »

One other thing I wanted to mention is that Red River Paper sells Palo Duro SoftGloss Rag in 11x14 size.  Palo Duro SoftGloss Rag for all intents and purposes is identical to Canson Platine. 

Patrick

Fred Salamon

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 12:58:26 am »

One other thing I wanted to mention is that Red River Paper sells Palo Duro SoftGloss Rag in 11x14 size.  Palo Duro SoftGloss Rag for all intents and purposes is identical to Canson Platine. 

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, I will definitely look into the Duro Soft Gloss Rag.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 01:29:07 pm »

Canon platine and Baryta both, will flake on cuts.  Here are a few things I have learned.

Attempt to use a Dahle cutter, as for some reason they seem to have a better cutting edge and the flaking will not show as bad.

If you want to hand cut, try cutting into a mat board, not a self healing board.  The mat board is software and seems to help reduce the flaking.  Also make sure the blade is new if hand cutting.  I use razor blades (safety blades with the handle) not a utility knife.

The flaking is a big issue for sure on both of these Canon papers.  I have switched back to Epson Exhibition Luster for a lot of work in the 24 x 30 sheets as it costs less and cuts with much less hassle.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

pearlstreet

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 05:12:11 pm »

Patrick

Thanks for this info, Patrick. I LOVE the paper sizes Red River offers - I'm ordering some now.

patjoja

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 12:58:56 am »

Canon platine and Baryta both, will flake on cuts.

Coming off my roll printer cutter, the Baryta seems to generate a lot more flakes than the Platine.

Patrick
Pages: [1]   Go Up