Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon iPF6450 Printer - How to Replace the Paper Cutter?  (Read 3399 times)

patjoja

Canon iPF6450 Printer - How to Replace the Paper Cutter?
« on: August 29, 2017, 08:25:16 am »

I have a year old iPF 6450 which is starting to give me slightly ragged edges from the cutter.  I really don't want to cut by hand as I run a semi-production shop. So far, I've been unable to find any references to how to replace this cutter or replacement blades for that matter, so I'm now wondering if it's even possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Patrick

35.marco

Re: Canon iPF6450 Printer - How to Replace the Paper Cutter?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 10:12:11 am »

I have a year old iPF 6450 which is starting to give me slightly ragged edges from the cutter.  I really don't want to cut by hand as I run a semi-production shop. So far, I've been unable to find any references to how to replace this cutter or replacement blades for that matter, so I'm now wondering if it's even possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Patrick
Hello
As far as I'm aware the 6450 has same cutter as 6400/8400/9400. On YouTube there a video how to replace the cutter.
So please check if it complies to your printer link is below.
https://youtu.be/eZIm1uGNxvI

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

patjoja

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 12:21:57 pm »

Hello
As far as I'm aware the 6450 has same cutter as 6400/8400/9400. On YouTube there a video how to replace the cutter.
So please check if it complies to your printer link is below.
https://youtu.be/eZIm1uGNxvI

Hi Marco, and thanks.  Yes, I saw that video and went to my 6450 and couldn't find the Replace Cutter command on the Maintenance tab.  It was late last night when I checked so maybe I missed it, but I sure didn't see it.  I hope it's just operator error.  I will check again when I get home.

Just for my own knowledge, should the menu items for the 6450 be the same as the 8400?

Thanks,

Patrick

DtEW

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 01:17:24 pm »

I'm fairly sure that the iPF6xx0 uses an entirely separate cutter/rail design instead of the bigger iPFs' self-serviceable cutter-on-head design as shown in 35.marco's video.

Unfortunately, that part for the iPF6xx0 does not seem to be easily available online.  I have not called Canon, so I don't know how available they are direct from them.  If you find out, please let everyone know.

My plan, if/when my cutter wears out and there isn't an easy replacement, is to design something custom around any of a number of circular razor blades on the market, and 3D-print it.

patjoja

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 01:15:18 am »

I'm fairly sure that the iPF6xx0 uses an entirely separate cutter/rail design instead of the bigger iPFs' self-serviceable cutter-on-head design as shown in 35.marco's video.

Unfortunately, that part for the iPF6xx0 does not seem to be easily available online.  I have not called Canon, so I don't know how available they are direct from them.  If you find out, please let everyone know.

My plan, if/when my cutter wears out and there isn't an easy replacement, is to design something custom around any of a number of circular razor blades on the market, and 3D-print it.

I called Canon today and found out that the cutter on the 6450 is not "user" replaceable like the 8400 and they would not sell me the cutter replacement kit.  Canon offered to come out and replace it for a mere $1200.   :(  Really??  That's half the price of a completely new printer with a new set of inks shipped to my front door.

I then called the company that I bought the printer from (BayInkJet) and they were able to confirm that.   Fortunately, since they are a dealer they are able to order the cutter kit from Canon and then send it to me.  The bad part is that there are no installation instructions, and the cutter kit is currently out of stock.  I went ahead and ordered the kit but don't know when I'll get it.  Hopefully with the dealers help I'll be able to figure out how to install it.

My next printer will have a replaceable cutter.  When I bought this unit I was concerned about printer head replacement. I never gave the cutter a second thought.

Patrick

35.marco

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 07:22:04 am »

I called Canon today and found out that the cutter on the 6450 is not "user" replaceable like the 8400 and they would not sell me the cutter replacement kit.  Canon offered to come out and replace it for a mere $1200.   :(  Really??  That's half the price of a completely new printer with a new set of inks shipped to my front door.

I then called the company that I bought the printer from (BayInkJet) and they were able to confirm that.   Fortunately, since they are a dealer they are able to order the cutter kit from Canon and then send it to me.  The bad part is that there are no installation instructions, and the cutter kit is currently out of stock.  I went ahead and ordered the kit but don't know when I'll get it.  Hopefully with the dealers help I'll be able to figure out how to install it.

My next printer will have a replaceable cutter.  When I bought this unit I was concerned about printer head replacement. I never gave the cutter a second thought.

Patrick
Did you see the video on YouTube
https://youtu.be/DP1CHnd5wio
When I look at it and checked the iPF6100 service manual it loom like it's in same location and I guess it's more or less the same but can't find parts list on both printers in good quality to compare.
Please check on 6100 service manual
 https://canonipf.wikispaces.com/file/view/canon_ipf6100.pdf

DtEW

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 11:32:13 am »

Fortunately, since they are a dealer they are able to order the cutter kit from Canon and then send it to me.  The bad part is that there are no installation instructions, and the cutter kit is currently out of stock.  I went ahead and ordered the kit but don't know when I'll get it.  Hopefully with the dealers help I'll be able to figure out how to install it.

Page 4-20 in the iPF6100 service manual that 35.marco linked is where it describes the removal of the cutter.  I can see why Canon might consider it a non-user serviceable task, as it does involve the removal of the roll feed unit and pretty much all the covers of the printer

But nevertheless, it looks straightforward, assuming you actually do get your part (and isn't one of those permanent backorders; please let us know if/when you do).

patjoja

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 02:02:17 pm »

Page 4-20 in the iPF6100 service manual that 35.marco linked is where it describes the removal of the cutter.  I can see why Canon might consider it a non-user serviceable task, as it does involve the removal of the roll feed unit and pretty much all the covers of the printer

But nevertheless, it looks straightforward, assuming you actually do get your part (and isn't one of those permanent backorders; please let us know if/when you do).

Sorry, yes, I had started to respond but work got in the way.  The video and manual look like good starts.  I also have a diagram/detail drawing from the dealer to work with (see attached).  As of right now, the cutter is not horrible.  It's just leaving a slight burr on the edge of the print.  Hopefully I will get the part without any fuss.

Thanks guys!

Patrick

DtEW

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 01:24:29 pm »

patjoja,  I just got off the phone with Canon USA.  They told me that the iPF6100 has arrived at EOS (End Of Support), meaning that no more parts will be available for it.  Curiously, they say that the ink, heads, and maintenance cartridge will still likely be supported for 7 years due to it being shared with other printers that are still supported (presumably the iPF5100 [ink and heads] and other iPF6XX0 [maintenance cartridge] printers).

Anyways, it is still possible that somebody has a cutter assembly somewhere further down the supply chain.

patjoja

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 12:43:24 am »

patjoja,  I just got off the phone with Canon USA.  They told me that the iPF6100 has arrived at EOS (End Of Support), meaning that no more parts will be available for it.  Curiously, they say that the ink, heads, and maintenance cartridge will still likely be supported for 7 years due to it being shared with other printers that are still supported (presumably the iPF5100 [ink and heads] and other iPF6XX0 [maintenance cartridge] printers).

Anyways, it is still possible that somebody has a cutter assembly somewhere further down the supply chain.

According to my service tech, the part has not been discontinued, but is just out of stock.  He's going to investigate more so I'll let you know what he finds out.  The sales rep said that since the iPF6450 is still in production and being sold that part availability should be maintained for at least 5 years.  She also said the iPF6100 went out of production some time ago which could be the reason it is no longer supported.  At least I'm holding on to that hope for the present.  ;)

Regards,

Patrick

patjoja

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 02:19:38 am »

According to my service tech, the part has not been discontinued, but is just out of stock.  He's going to investigate more so I'll let you know what he finds out.  The sales rep said that since the iPF6450 is still in production and being sold that part availability should be maintained for at least 5 years.  She also said the iPF6100 went out of production some time ago which could be the reason it is no longer supported.  At least I'm holding on to that hope for the present.  ;)

Regards,

Patrick

I received the cutter kit today!!! Yeah!  Now, I just need to find the time to install it.  :-)  I guess Canon is still stocking parts for the 6450.

Patrick

DtEW

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 02:09:23 pm »

I received the cutter kit today!!! Yeah!  Now, I just need to find the time to install it.  :-)  I guess Canon is still stocking parts for the 6450.

Patrick

*thumbsup*

I wonder if this is the same part as the iPF6100 (or at least the blade is shared, so that it can be transferred from one parts assembly to the other)?
Pages: [1]   Go Up