Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Zeiss Otus 85mm Close-Up  (Read 469 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
The Zeiss Otus 85mm Close-Up
« on: August 28, 2017, 06:07:36 PM »

Nikon D810, Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 07:07:29 PM by Michael Erlewine »
Michael Erlewine
Founder: MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com (articles), https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine (video tutorials), AMG - All-Movie Guide, All-Music Guide, All-Game Guide, Matrix Software, Classic Posters, ClassicPosters.com, SpiritGrooves.net, and other sites.

framah

Re: The Zeiss Otus 85mm Close-Up
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 02:11:47 PM »

Try stack focussing and get the whole flower in focus. I love the flower but the fact that the whole back half of it is out of focus is annoying.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 02:16:27 PM »

Try stack focussing and get the whole flower in focus. I love the flower but the fact that the whole back half of it is out of focus is annoying.

Sorry, that's a feature, not a problem.
Michael Erlewine
Founder: MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com (articles), https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine (video tutorials), AMG - All-Movie Guide, All-Music Guide, All-Game Guide, Matrix Software, Classic Posters, ClassicPosters.com, SpiritGrooves.net, and other sites.

Leszek Piotrowski

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 08:24:09 PM »

DOF ,..for me is perfect.

My eye goes to two spots,... the flower is of course the what my eye settles on.
Leszek, G

Bob_B

• Deniably plausible
    • Bob Belas Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 09:27:55 AM »

DOF ,..for me is perfect.

I completely agree.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 09:43:07 AM »

The OOF petal is what helps the stamen pop in the image. It's what makes it work. Get the whole thing in focus & it's just a sharp picture if a flower.

EricV

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 01:53:34 PM »

So going a step further, run a blurring filter over the closer in-focus petals?

framah

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 03:31:50 PM »

Not only isn't being out of focus a "feature", the bright green spot in the back ground is disturbing as well.

If the out of focus part of the flower were maybe not sharply in focus but at least closer to the focus of the front part, it wouldn't be such an annoying flaw in an otherwise beautiful flower.
There is nothing wrong with a nice crisp photo of a beautiful flower.

ALSO... the ghost of color behind the bud is another example of not really looking at the image and doing some minor composition before shooting. All of these things together make it a less than successful image.  There is just too much going on in the background.

It is basically just another image that COULD have been really great but it merely ok.

Try to move to the left, get rid of the bud and make the petals more consistent with each other and have the center stem be the focal point. The whole thing doesn't need to be "centered" in the frame but it does need to be less cluttered and disturbing to the eye.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."
Pages: [1]   Go Up