Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: digital blending  (Read 2486 times)

rogersteen

digital blending
« on: September 04, 2006, 08:06:58 pm »

I tried using Michael's "blending" approach for combining two images (one light, one dark) together in Photoshop CS. Followed the instructions to the letter, and tried twice. The composite image that results is just a duplicate of the dark image. In other words, it's not working. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

Here are the steps I took:

Put both images onscreen at the same time. Select the dark frame and press Command-A to select the whole thing. Press Command-C to copy it. Close that picture, as you no longer need it.

Select the light frame and press Command-V to paste the dark frame into it.

Starting with having done the pasting of the dark image on the light one, add a Layer Mask. This is done by clicking on the second icon on the lower left of the Layers palette. You will now see a white rectangle next to the image on the Layer 1 layer. (See Figure #2).

Click on the background layer on the palette and the press Command-A to select the whole image. Press Command-C, copying it to the clipboard. Now hold down the Option key and click on the white mask rectangle on the Layer 1 palette.

The whole image will now turn white. Next, press Command-V to paste the contents of the clipboard onto the white mask. You will now see a B&W mask image. With the B&W mask displayed go to Filter / Blur / Gaussian Blur and set the Radius to about 40 pixels. Click on the Background Layer and you're done. (Thanks to George DeWolfe of CameraArt's magazine for bringing this technique to my attention.)

Oh yes. With this technique you may want to select the background layer and add an appropriate curve to brighten up the dark area a bit prior to flattening the layers.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
digital blending
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 08:14:11 pm »

See if this even simpler technique works for you.

2 layers, lighter layer on top, top layer active
simultaneously press ctl alt ~  
Del

If you want a bit more complication and subsequent control, then after ctl alt ~  invert the selection and creat a mask (click on the "front loading washing machine" icon on the bottom of the layers pallette).

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
digital blending
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 06:32:01 am »

The procedure you describe is the one proposed by Michael, and it should work. You have seemingly just copied/paste his own text.

My guess is that you are doing something subbtly different.

My advice would be for you to replay each step, and write with your own words what you are doing, then post again.

Some things to check at the end:

- does the upper lark layer indeed have a mask (a second icon to the right of the main one in the layer palette)?
- what does the mask look like?
- what is the transparency mode you picked for the upper layer (it should probably be "normal")?

Cheers,
Bernard

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
digital blending
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 11:35:55 am »

It works Bernard.

I suspect you may have inadvertantly switched your default Quick mask selection mode to "selected areas".  It needs to be set to "masked areas" for most of the automated masking tools to work properly -- ie; Ctrl-Alt ~ .  

Anyway, to reset it, double click the Quick-mask mode panel near the bottom of the tools palette.  A dialog will come up where you can set the defaults for Quick mask.  Where it says "Color Indicates" make sure you have checked "Masked Areas".  You can alter the mask's display color and opacity here too, but default is red at 50%.  

Cheers,
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/
Pages: [1]   Go Up